An ethical question

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Gabriella84, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is an ethical question for you to ponder while I am toiling at my job:

Why do the same people who so strongly oppose abortion and ending life support also firmly support the death penalty?
    To me, ending life is ending life.

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    It's an issue of innocence versus guilt. The innocent should live. The murderous should die.

You probably don't believe in guilt and innocence, believing that crime is just a function of social inequality. AM I right?

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Dumb, un-original question. It's like "If God can do EVERYTHING, can he create a rock so strong that he can't break it in half?"

:zzz:

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    First, this isnt really an ethical question.

Second, If you cant tell the difference between killing an innocent child for your actions and killing a guilty seriel killer, then you have some major psychological issues.

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Is that good or bad?

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Gabriella, I oppose abortion, yet support the death penalty. Here's why: I believe that abortion is ending an innocent life, which is morally wrong. I believe that the death penalty is a justifiable punishment for crimes in which a human life is taken (e.g. 1st degree murder), and that the state is justified in punishing a person by death, if he is found guilty of such a crime.

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Guys, hasn't the topic of this thread been done to death already? I think I'll join -=d=- and sit this one out. :sleep:

8. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

It doesn't take very long to figure out the difference between innocence and perceived guilt. The offspring in an abortion are killed largely for the convenience of the parent without regard to the innocence or the validity of the life ended.

The murderer that gets the death penalty also disregarded the validity of a life and purposefully took that life, thus removing from respective innocence the right to life of another. In respect to the life of the victim, society tends to give the harshest penalty, the loss of the right they took from another.

In abortion the most innocent of life, yet to sin, still developing, has been taken 98% of the time for no other reason than the convenience of the mobile. The one with the least voice and the largest reason to be protected is left with no advocate. In the death penalty we go through years of appeals and in every step the convicted has advocates in order to speak for them. The differences between the two are immense, and in order to pay for the heinous crime that has netted one the death penalty society has judged the value of their life to be the price of the convicted's life.

Now for my personal opinion. The Death Penalty is not strict enough, while the convicted should not leave prison until they are in the narrow box assigned to all the living, they should be held in physical limbo until they should naturally go. Living in a small area, let out for small periods to walk in a small exercise area, unvisited and alone.

9. Markainion

Markainion Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a professor ask this exact same question once. He didn’t even tempt to give an answer to this.

All he said was:

Conservatives tend to be anti-abortion but pro death penalty.

Liberals tend to be anti-death penalty and pro abortion.

And then asked why neither party was truly pro life or pro death.

The point was that it says something about the political difference between Democrats and Republicans. Democrats do tend to care about those in society that tend to have a greater struggle within society more than Republicans do. While on the other hand Republicans have always tended to be more protective of children than Democrats.

The reason for this is simple, Republican and the anti-abortion and death penalty group, tend to believe that their success is mostly do to themselves and how they were raised. That is why children are protected, so the innocent gets a chance to thrive and be successful too.

On the other hand Democrats tend to believe that the government need to help people make up for their failures. Therefore pro-abortion to save the women who get pregnant by mistake, and tries to save the murder that is sentence to death, because society was partially responsible for his act.

I tend to agree with the conservatism more than the liberals on this, but I have noticed that economics tend to affect peoples opinions. The Great Depression turned a significant number of Republicans, Democrats for life. While on the other hand a significant number of years of economic success have turned this country back into Republicans.

You now there are really a different between Democrats and Republicans beliefs deep down, even if it is often hard to see.

10. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    She is a Psychology major (check her profile).

She is using us for her class project.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1