An ethical question

mattskramer said:
If there were a person accused of the crime, and if such a person really did the crime, I would want him to be executed. Unfortunately, many people sentenced to death row are eventually released due to irrefutable proof that they didn’t commit the crime for which they were convicted. I would rather have 1 million people who were convicted of murder spend life in a harsh prison environment than execute a truly innocent person.

I never said that I would be willing to let the scumbag spend the rest of his life in a cozy cell with 3 squares a day on my tax dollar. I think that the prisons sentences resemble “paid vacations” to too much of a degree. I would remove televisions, elective surgeries, and many similar conveniences that convicts enjoy. I would also put convicts to work so they could, to a small degree, earn some of their keep.

In summary, I would do what I could to have convicts pose as small a tax burden as practically possible without taking the risk of executing an someone who is not guilty.

Matt, I think the reason we are seeing an upswing of people being released from death row is the introduction of DNA testing, and its ability to prove whether or not blood, hair, etc., is really from the "right" person. I think that as DNA evidence becomes more and more common, death penalty advocates will be able to withstand such arguments.

mattskramer said:
If there were a person accused of the crime, and if such a person really did the crime, I would want him to be executed. Unfortunately, many people sentenced to death row are eventually released due to irrefutable proof that they didn’t commit the crime for which they were convicted. I would rather have 1 million people who were convicted of murder spend life in a harsh prison environment than execute a truly innocent person.

I never said that I would be willing to let the scumbag spend the rest of his life in a cozy cell with 3 squares a day on my tax dollar. I think that the prisons sentences resemble “paid vacations” to too much of a degree. I would remove televisions, elective surgeries, and many similar conveniences that convicts enjoy. I would also put convicts to work so they could, to a small degree, earn some of their keep.

In summary, I would do what I could to have convicts pose as small a tax burden as practically possible without taking the risk of executing an someone who is not guilty.

You have a good point there about needing irrefutable proof. If there isn't any, but there is enough circumstantial evidence, then I could possibly agree with life imprisonment and no parole in a non-cushy jail environment. However, the liberal program today is setting free "on parole" all kinds of murderers and monsters back into the public where many of them will jsut repeat their nasty deeds. I would rather keep all of them jailed forever than risk the life of even one child. We need much harsher penalties written into our laws.

If our country is attacked by others we go to war with them and kill them. We don't seek out just the specific individuals but also the groups that sponser the attacks. Is this killing any different from killing the attackers of our children? I would love to see groups like NAMBLA die a quick death. (with the members at least going to jail for life)

Anyone else here notice that Gabby seems to do a good job of making ludicrous posts like this in an effort to get ya'll going? :)

elephant said:
And sometimes you can tell before they are even people.

And when is that? You can tell that somebody will become a rapist before they even "become a person"? Which criteria would you use to psychically determine the validity of a life before they "become a person"?

-Cp said:
Anyone else here notice that Gabby seems to do a good job of making ludicrous posts like this in an effort to get ya'll going? :)

Yup, I was about to pos rep her for creating some of the more longstanding threads. This one seems like it will never end.

Gabriella84 said:
Why do the same people who so strongly oppose abortion and ending life support also firmly support the death penalty?
To me, ending life is ending life.

Gabriella84 said:
But I believe any vote on abortion rights should be open ONLY to women. Since it only affects women.

Which is it? Is abortion a surgical procedure that only affects the woman it is performed on, or is abortion the ending of a life?

I don't call you a liar because based on what I have read of yours here I would surmise you are more likely confused. Confused about a great many things, not least of which are the things you think you believe.

Gabriella84 said:
But I believe any vote on abortion rights should be open ONLY to women. Since it only affects women.

Well you see, there's this thing called a baby and it is very effected by an abortion. I can see no difference between aborting offspring and waiting until it is born and drowning it. It doesn't take rocket science to understand it is wrong to kill the most innocent for the convenience of the more mobile and any vote on such an issue should involve all humanity as that is who it actually effects.

no1tovote4 said:
And when is that? You can tell that somebody will become a rapist before they even "become a person"? Which criteria would you use to psychically determine the validity of a life before they "become a person"?

I would start with the fact that they were to raised by at least one parent who would have been capable of murdering them and even worse probably a democrat. That is enough information for me. Let the aborters abort their own kind and eventually there will be none of them left.

Nice question Gabriella.

Now here's a related one. Why are people who worship a dude because he was unjustly executed by the state the same people who want to give the state power to execute people? It seems that if a mistake was made once in the past it might happen again. And don't say it's because the Romans were not as civilized as the Texans are.

nucular said:
Nice question Gabriella.

Now here's a related one. Why are people who worship a dude because he was unjustly executed by the state the same people who want to give the state power to execute people? It seems that if a mistake was made once in the past it might happen again. And don't say it's because the Romans were not as civilized as the Texans are.

Not all Chistians are in favor of the death penalty. Many oppose it vehemently.

Originally Posted by Gabriella84

If you believe that only women are affected by abortion, then you must also believe that no male babies are aborted. :rolleyes:

Abbey Normal said:
Originally Posted by Gabriella84

If you believe that only women are affected by abortion, then you must also believe that no male babies are aborted. :rolleyes:

Yeah and must believe that no male was involve in the creation of said baby.

dilloduck said:
You mean to tell me you just learned this information?

Crossetarians against death penalty: The Pope

Crossetarians in favor of death penalty:

The Prez
People who voted for the Prez
Texans
Jeffrey Dahmer
Newt Gingrich
People on this forum

nucular said:
Crossetarians against death penalty: The Pope

Crossetarians in favor of death penalty:

The Prez
People who voted for the Prez
Texans
Jeffrey Dahmer
Newt Gingrich
People on this forum

If heaven forbid your family was brutually murdered, they caught the person with tons of DNA evidence and in your state there is no life in prison without parole so the person may only serve about 15 years with time off for good behavior would you still be opposed to the death penalty???

Bonnie said:
If heaven forbid your family was brutually murdered, they caught the person with tons of DNA evidence and in your state there is no life in prison without parole so the person may only serve about 15 years with time off for good behavior would you still be opposed to the death penalty???

Yes...tell us nuc.....if your state did have the Death Penalty, would you be standing in front of the execution room begging for the government to give him mercy or would you be the first one wanting to throw the switch?

Forum List

Back