An ammendment to protect marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dgoldstein, Jul 15, 2004.

1. dgoldstein

dgoldstein Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Liberal Republicans have shown themselves to be traitorous to the values of marriage, which has survived millenia, by casting their votes against the marriage amendment. An amendment is more important now than ever. There's an interesting editorial on this subject, on op-eds.com. You all may want to check it out.

2. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You could be kind by editing this post to include the link to the story!

And welcome

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Actually, this could play into the GOP's hands. This vote exposed those against an ammendment, yet the polls show that a MAJORITY of Americans support one. The vote yesterday might drive some to the polls to vote AGAINST those that voted against the amendment!

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Yes, Welcome! I take it you saw that I deleted the second post, it was duplicate of first.

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    is there going to be nothing but spin on this to flush out the GOP members who disagree with the rest of the party or who are standing up for not amending the constitution for this?

Thats all this op-ed is designed to do it seems.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Here's the link to the op-ed:

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/guestcontributors/cadamo_20040715.html

I'm against an amendment on this. Do think it should be decided by the states. For the record, DK :tng: I'm also against the spending out of control and the position on changing immigration laws. So now I suppose, I'm stuck to the next kerfuffle, with being a liberal in conservative clothing? Nah! :usa:

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Here's why I have a problem with this op-editorial author, as well as those who are standing by this tripe.

1) it shouldn't be a 'conservative principle' to amend the constitution to party, religious, or supposedly traditional beliefs...

2) despite the doomsday gloom prophecy of 'same sex marriage' being the ultimate demise of america and humanity in general this shouldn't be now, nor in the future, an issue of constitutional amendments. The constitution was, once again I'm saying this, a document LIMITING government authority over the people, not a document to establish the moral, religious, or living standards of a populace. Doing so takes us one step closer to a country that is ruled by a government instead of having a government elected by the people.

8. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0

:thup: :clap1: :read:

:beer:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm not going to disagree with you. Seems to me that the states have and should control marriage, adoption, driving laws, licensing, schools, etc. The feds do not make things like this more managable, quite the contrary, look what they spend for toilet seats and did you see how many pages that 9/11 Commission Report was ? Like nearly 8" thick. Nope, no fed. No Amendment. I feel the same with abortion, should be done by state.

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It seems to me that the federal government has always done a poor job of legislating morality. In my opinion, amending the constitution should not be a trivial task or taken lightly.