Amnesty Bill and the Media (old and new)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YjI3NDkyNDIyNzM0YmQxMDZlMGZkNTI1MjI2YTg5NmE=

2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It may be "opposition," but I do not believe the media audiences are anywhere near even. I do not have the media penetration figures at hand, but Leftist domination of Network news, television entertainment, Hollywood, and Newspapers must outstrip the Right's influence as expressed by the media channels listed above. It is a microscopic percentage of people who get their news and opinion from the web. Rightwing think tanks might affect rightwing columnists and some Republicans in Washington, but what else? The audience for talk radio is low compared to the number of potential voters and the same can be said of Cable TV. If I wanted to affect political opinion and on the one hand was offered Network news, television entertainment, Hollywood, and Newspapers, and on the other hand "the conservative web, allied with think tanks, cable TV, and talk radio," the choice would be obvious.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    On important issues, such as immigration, Harriet Miers, UAE ports deal, Dan Rather, etc. the web and talk radio provide the information that people that are willing to work from, do. It's a matter of the right issue with the right information.

Will they make a candidate, no, there isn't enough agreement. However, on certain issues, that unfortunately this administration seems prone to engaging in, the base does get mobilized.

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    And, while I, likewise, lack the exact figures, I feel quite sure your assessment is correct. Yet it is the left who agitate for a return to the whimsically named, "Fairness Doctrine". Why? Because the left are not content with mere domination; they want monopoly. They have witnessed - and FELT - the power of open discourse, and THEY DON'T LIKE IT.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do not disagree with the MSM having greater numbers, it's that the alternative medias listeners/readers are more active and influential on others.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    More on the same topic:

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly...feat_em_all_opedcolumnists_john_podhoretz.htm

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Is this a great country, or what??!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    For all the times that one would despair, then see the possibilities of participation, yet!