America’s Worst Airlines.

I flew on Alaska from Seattle to Lihue in Mar. and beer was not free. Also flew from Spokane to Seattle in June and there was nothing but water service.
Well, maybe it was that I was not in coach going over to Lihue. Anyway The beer served is called Fat Tire beer.

IMG_5661.jpeg
IMG_5660.jpeg

The problems of flying today:
1. Minimum staffing. Your incoming flight crew gets stuck somewhere their hours are up and no back up crew available. You’re not flying today.

2. Focus is on short flights. So now it’s rare to find a nonstop. And the chances of you catching your connection is 50/50 - see 1.

3. Airlines treat you worse than cattle. You change your flight = $$$$$. They change your flight you suck it up, buttercup. And let’s not talk about the steak and potato meals we used to get. Now it’s a cup of water.

1. Minimum staffing. Your incoming flight crew gets stuck somewhere their hours are up and no back up crew available. You’re not flying today.

2. Focus is on short flights. So now it’s rare to find a nonstop. And the chances of you catching your connection is 50/50 - see 1.

3. Airlines treat you worse than cattle. You change your flight = $$$$$. They change your flight you suck it up, buttercup. And let’s not talk about the steak and potato meals we used to get. Now it’s a cup of water.
I like SWA. They make no bones about it--they are no frills, everybody gets treated the same.

I flew non stop from San Francisco to Oahu in the past. This recent flight was in 2 steps. But from Boise, the traffic is not nearly what it is from San Francisco. Seattle to Kauai was on the 737 with around 178 passengers. It of course was direct to Kauai. Alaska treated me very well. I noticed 3 pilots on the long distance flights.

How much did that seat cost. Coach beverages are $7.50. I'll bet you paid a lot more than that for that non coach seat--but gee, you got get on and off first.
This was special in that it was my daughter who lives at Kauai using her air miles. I got sick there and had to change flights back home. This cost me $351 more and included some of her air miles. She used more miles for better seats to Kauai but on the way back I was forced to fly coach. I was prescribed a medicine at Kauai that my daughter warned me not to drink booze at all. So I stuck to ginger ale and water.

Alaska Airlines came under intense scrutiny in 2000 over their manintance procedures, part of the reason for that was a maintenance mechanic who said years earlier that mistakes were being made.

I did not know about that. But the FAA is deadly serious about safety. And no doubt has rectified any such problems. I happen to be a pilot but have no clue what they found wrong two decades back. As a passenger, one can't really correctly inspect your flight before you board. So trust recent reports and discard old ones.

I did not know about that. But the FAA is deadly serious about safety. And no doubt has rectified any such problems. I happen to be a pilot but have no clue what they found wrong two decades back. As a passenger, one can't really correctly inspect your flight before you board. So trust recent reports and discard old ones.
Are you familiar with the jackscrew that moves the horizontal stabilizer? It was not being lubricated correctly and eventually the threads stripped and it caused loss of control of the aircraft, despite the valiant efforts of both pilots to save the aircraft. 88 people died.

Are you familiar with the jackscrew that moves the horizontal stabilizer? It was not being lubricated correctly and eventually the threads stripped and it caused loss of control of the aircraft, despite the valiant efforts of both pilots to save the aircraft. 88 people died.
Yes, I do recall hearing about that. They also have jackscrews that are ball bearing contained that solves that problem. Not clear if Alaska uses those.

Alaska is rated 5th top airline in this study.

For those flying often, they have a super excellent frequent flyer program.

The jackscrew is made of Titanium. But the nut it screws in and out of is made of a special bronze. This is what stripped, as you say, due to not proper lubrication. Fortunately it is the only plane known to crash with this problem. When the screw assembly failed, there was no way for the pilots to recover the flight. Very sad state of events.

I mentioned ball bearing jack screws due to my having used them in a machine I built for a firm. I used the type with ball bearings inside.

It is only going to get worse in the future with several of the airlines going woke and increasing diversity hires.

Hire a low IQ affirmative action Negro to fly an airplane. What could possibly go wrong?

It is only going to get worse in the future with several of the airlines going woke and increasing diversity hires.

Hire a low IQ affirmative action Negro to fly an airplane. What could possibly go wrong?
Well, there is a shortage of willing pilots. Race is not a concern for me given I know how well they are trained. I saw no black pilots on the 4 planes I recently flew on at Alaska Airlines.

Well, there is a shortage of willing pilots. Race is not a concern for me given I know how well they are trained. I saw no black pilots on the 4 planes I recently flew on at Alaska Airlines.
Affirmative action hires will be at the same standards. Race, gender or sexual orientation will be more important factors than skill.

Affirmative action hires will be at the same standards. Race, gender or sexual orientation will be more important factors than skill.
Let's hope not. That would violate the FAA laws.

Forum List

Back