American Remakes vs. European Originals: Which Do You Prefer?

Which do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
This isn't in any way, shape or form a comparison of tatse, but, as Americans, which do you prefer?

The reason I ask is because whenever a TV show or film enjoys widespread success in Europe and elsewhere, whenever the rights are aquired by an American studio or broadcaster, they always remake it for their U.S audience. Have any of you ever watched the European original after watching the American remake, or vise versa? And if so, how did they compare; or were you left confused by the original's format/style?

American imports enjoy success across, Britain, continental Europe and beyond, but they're never remade for their respective domestic audiences. We enjoy the original, and often learn from it. Don't you think you're missing-out on aspects of the experience of a foreign-made production that's been re-made for the U.S market?

There's been so many successful exports that have been re-made for American audiences, often stripping away the original's essence, that there's too many to name. But a recent example is the explosion of gripping thrillers coming out of Scandinavia eg: The Millenium Trilogy by the late Stieg Larsson, starring Noomi Rapace & Michael Nyqvist, replaced by Daniel Craig & Rooney Mara in the U.S version. Another example is Forbrydelsen, aka The Killing, starring Sofie Gråbøl. Both enjoyed enormous success, and were re-made for the U.S market. I can't even imagine spoiling how much I enjoyed the originals by watching the American re-makes.

You?

Last edited:
The movie "The girl with the dragon tattoo" was just OK. I tried to read the book but it was so culturally Swedish that I gave it up. I don't care where the book plot is set but I want an American perspective. I'm not bragging about the junk that comes out of Hollywood but the junk that comes out of Europe is worse.

The movie "The girl with the dragon tattoo" was just OK. I tried to read the book but it was so culturally Swedish that I gave it up. I don't care where the book plot is set but I want an American perspective. I'm not bragging about the junk that comes out of Hollywood but the junk that comes out of Europe is worse.

I read all three, and I've never been to Sweden. So the "cultural" issue didn't effect my perspective. Nor would the cultural undertones of an American production effect my perspective in Britain. I'm assuming the rest of the world feels the same way. Why do you think the same can't be said by Americans?

Man about the house - good
Three's company - sucked

Til Death Us Do Part - fantastic
All in the Family - fantastic

The Office (brit version) - Brilliant
The Office (US version) - not as good, but still pretty good

Dear John (brit) Ok
Dear John (US) better

Steptoe and son - brilliant
Sanford and Son - pretty good

I read all three, and I've never been to Sweden. So the "cultural" issue didn't effect my perspective. Nor would the cultural undertones of an American production effect my perspective in Britain. I'm assuming the rest of the world feels the same way. Why do you think the same can't be said by Americans?

It's just a personal bias. The strange Swedish social service system that keeps an adult woman in bondage to government bureaucrats turned me off in the very beginning of the book. The law suit that put a magazine editor in prison was an important part of the book but it didn't make sense. The especially violent way the woman gets back at her social worker in the movie was overboard. Hey, I'm just a guy who thought the hype about a book translated to a good read and I was disappointed.

Thought AbFab was hilarious.

Me too. The first year of Cybill was outstanding. It got bad after that.

The first 2-3 years of the US Office was better than the British version but has since become truly unwatchable.

The movie La Femme Nikita was better than the US version, which I can't remember.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - original
Being Human - Original
The Office - tie great for different reasons
Life on Mars - remake except for the ending. US ending was retarded.
Dr Who - original ( I see the American made for TV movie as a remake, even though its canon, and it sucked. Eric Roberts as the Master? Really??????? )

Thought AbFab was hilarious.

Me too. The first year of Cybill was outstanding. It got bad after that.

The first 2-3 years of the US Office was better than the British version but has since become truly unwatchable.

The movie La Femme Nikita was better than the US version, which I can't remember.

I disagree with the office. Couldn't get enough of the Brit version. Got the first season of the US version...didn't bother with the rest

I haven't seen the Brit version of Being Human, I need to try it and see how it compares to the American remake.

I preferred the US Torchwood to the little I saw of the Brit version, but a lot of that was probably a matter of budget.

I liked Let The Right One In, the Swedish version, more than the US Let Me In.

I wonder how much which version you see first has to do with how much you like the different versions.

Oh, almost forgot! I much preferred the British version of Who's Line Is It Anyway? to the US version.

The woman in the movie was a stone cold freak, I'd love to hit that.

Forum List

Back