American embassy warned of attacks but did nothing

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by tyroneweaver, Sep 13, 2012.

  1. tyroneweaver
    Offline

    tyroneweaver Gold Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Messages:
    11,355
    Thanks Received:
    1,758
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Location:
    Burley, Idaho
    Ratings:
    +6,851
    Revealed: inside story of US envoy's assassination - World Politics - World - The Independent

    According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.

    hmmm. I'll follow dem protocol and wait a day before passing judgement
     
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Trajan
    Offline

    Trajan conscientia mille testes

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    29,048
    Thanks Received:
    4,751
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    The Bay Area Soviet
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    if true, this is going to be hard to explain. I mean look, it was 9-11 anyway, if there is a day to be extra careful thats it.....

    more form the leak which is worrying...

    American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.

    The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the "safe house" in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed "safe".

    Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.

    more at your link.
     
  3. depotoo
    Offline

    depotoo Gold Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    Messages:
    14,387
    Thanks Received:
    2,693
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Ratings:
    +6,414
  4. Trajan
    Offline

    Trajan conscientia mille testes

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    29,048
    Thanks Received:
    4,751
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    The Bay Area Soviet
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Interesting, thx for the link.
     
  5. edthecynic
    Offline

    edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    Messages:
    26,564
    Thanks Received:
    3,075
    Trophy Points:
    260
    Ratings:
    +5,686
    As always, the Right is on both sides of every issue.

    Feds were clueless about 9/11 anniversary attack | WashingtonExaminer.com

    Five days before Muslim militants killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans on Tuesday, Sept.11, the State Department's security team told diplomats around the world that there was "no credible information" of any attack planned to coincide with the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attack on America, the clearest sign federal officials were clueless about this week's assaults on embassies in Libya, Egypt and Yemen.
     
  6. Trajan
    Offline

    Trajan conscientia mille testes

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    29,048
    Thanks Received:
    4,751
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    The Bay Area Soviet
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    :lol:We'll see ....it is what it is.
     
  7. waltky
    Offline

    waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    Messages:
    20,786
    Thanks Received:
    1,789
    Trophy Points:
    215
    Location:
    Okolona, KY
    Ratings:
    +3,861
    Libya arrests four suspects in deadly U.S. consulate attack...
    :eusa_eh:
    Libya arrests 4 over deadly Benghazi attack: official
    13 Sept.`12 - Libyan authorities have made four arrests in the investigation into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in which the U.S. ambassador and three embassy staff were killed, the deputy interior minister said on Thursday.
    See also:

    US police protect suspected anti-Islam filmmaker
    AFP, Thursday 13 Sep 2012 - The man suspected of producing a crude film lampooning the Prophet Mohammed has been placed under police protection after protests erupted around the world, a force spokesman said Thursday.
     

Share This Page