"America is a shining city upon a hill"-Ronald Reagan

"I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still."
Farewell Address to the Nation
January 11, 1989
Ronald Reagan: Farewell Address to the Nation
=======================================================
President Ronald Reagan's vision of America, has all but disappeared.
We no longer have a country " teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace." Now we have the opposite.
He saw the promise of "And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." Now we have the threat, of a country with a wall that has no doors that are "open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here."
======================================================
Now, we have a president, who is the polar opposite of Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan provided hope to a nation. He united America, with efforts directed to all Americans. Reagan had great empathy for all. Reagan saw America as a shield for people persecuted around the world. Reagan never looked to embrace dictators and autocrats or to shun and punish our allies.
Ronald Reagan was from the world of good, he was elegant and he was the great communicator. Our current president is from the polar opposite on all counts.
Donald Trump is no Ronald Reagan, not even vaguely close.
No longer is "America is a shining city upon a hill"
Interesting and informative article from the Cato Institue about President Ronald Reagan's positions on freetrade and immigration.
Reagan Embraced Free Trade and Immigration

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back