America going to default

I fully expect the Republicans to cave just like they always do and authorize a rise in the debt ceiling while allowing Obamacare to go forward and continue to destroy the jobs market. We didn't get to $17 trillion of debt and all these centrally planned laws with Democrats alone.

Looks like I was right.
And you can thank the GOP for that. Obama wasn't responsible for the billions going toward the worthless wars,, or the tax cuts for the rich.

What just might happen is the debt ceiling is increased and one or more credit agencies downgrade us anyway for not getting our long term debt under control. We'd deserve it.

Looks like I was right about this too:

Chinese agency downgrades US credit rating - FRANCE 24

Yeah, we spent $24 Billion on account of the GOP and their charade, and they ended up accomplishing nothing. They didn't have a plan, they were just being led by the nose by Cruz, and he sold them down the river. Americans aren't wrong, the GOP is mostly to blame for this fiasco. Thank You GOP! :mad:

That would have avoided the downgrade.

why avoid the problem - progressively raise the tax base on income above 100k and solve the problem ...

Or, cut spending to live within our means. We funded all government operations in 2008 with the revenue we'll realize this year. The government operated just fine in 2008 on that level of funding, we can do it today...with NO deficit spending.

Further, what you fail to understand is that raising tax rates as you suggest could very well result in LESS revenue to government coffers as capital finds it's way towards less onerous tax and regulatory environments and the economy subsequently suffers. This has proven to be the case many times in the past, though no one can say for sure which way revenues would head following changes in tax rates. Your idea would by no means "fix the problem". If could in fact make it much worse.

Ah yes, an ad hominem attack. Works every time...:eusa_hand:

William J. Clinton | The White House

During the administration of William Jefferson Clinton, the U.S. enjoyed more peace and economic well being than at any time in its history. He was the first Democratic president since Franklin D. Roosevelt to win a second term. He could point to the lowest unemployment rate in modern times, the lowest inflation in 30 years, the highest home ownership in the country's history, dropping crime rates in many places, and reduced welfare rolls. He proposed the first balanced budget in decades and achieved a budget surplus. As part of a plan to celebrate the millennium in 2000, Clinton called for a great national initiative to end racial discrimination.

He proposed the first balanced budget in decades and achieved a budget surplus.

the budget was balanced and a surplus with the Democratic tax initiative in the first term of the Clinton Administration.

your argument above and the 2003 the Republican tax legislation is the reason for the present conditions you simply are in denial of.

And there are plenty of other examples in which raising tax rates resulted in LESS tax revenues.

Fail.

I fully expect the Republicans to cave just like they always do and authorize a rise in the debt ceiling while allowing Obamacare to go forward and continue to destroy the jobs market. We didn't get to $17 trillion of debt and all these centrally planned laws with Democrats alone.

Looks like I was right.
And you can thank the GOP for that. Obama wasn't responsible for the billions going toward the worthless wars,, or the tax cuts for the rich.

What just might happen is the debt ceiling is increased and one or more credit agencies downgrade us anyway for not getting our long term debt under control. We'd deserve it.

Yeah, we spent $24 Billion on account of the GOP and their charade, and they ended up accomplishing nothing. They didn't have a plan, they were just being led by the nose by Cruz, and he sold them down the river. Americans aren't wrong, the GOP is mostly to blame for this fiasco. Thank You GOP! :mad:

Your ignorance is showing. It is entitlements that most drive our deficit spending, not those damn wars, which your dear leader has embraced every bit as much as his predecessor. And those tax cuts were for everyone, not just the rich. Further, you cannot state with any level of certainty their effect on actual tax revenues.

The downgrades are a result of our not dealing with our long term debt, something which both parties are guilty of. You might see that if you could set aside your overwhelming bias.

Or, cut spending to live within our means. We funded all government operations in 2008 with the revenue we'll realize this year. The government operated just fine in 2008 on that level of funding, we can do it today...with NO deficit spending.

Further, what you fail to understand is that raising tax rates as you suggest could very well result in LESS revenue to government coffers as capital finds it's way towards less onerous tax and regulatory environments and the economy subsequently suffers. This has proven to be the case many times in the past, though no one can say for sure which way revenues would head following changes in tax rates. Your idea would by no means "fix the problem". If could in fact make it much worse.

Ah yes, an ad hominem attack. Works every time...:eusa_hand:

William J. Clinton | The White House

During the administration of William Jefferson Clinton, the U.S. enjoyed more peace and economic well being than at any time in its history. He was the first Democratic president since Franklin D. Roosevelt to win a second term. He could point to the lowest unemployment rate in modern times, the lowest inflation in 30 years, the highest home ownership in the country's history, dropping crime rates in many places, and reduced welfare rolls. He proposed the first balanced budget in decades and achieved a budget surplus. As part of a plan to celebrate the millennium in 2000, Clinton called for a great national initiative to end racial discrimination.

the budget was balanced and a surplus with the Democratic tax initiative in the first term of the Clinton Administration.

your argument above and the 2003 the Republican tax legislation is the reason for the present conditions you simply are in denial of.

And there are plenty of other examples in which raising tax rates resulted in LESS tax revenues.

Fail.

Link ... yours is a specious argument.

try and stay on topic.

Fail.

Link ... yours is a specious argument.

try and stay on topic.

The topic is that changes in tax revenue can result in more or less revenue to government. It is not a direct correlation. Citing one example proves nothing.

Further, you've failed to address how we are more than capable of living within our means, which would require no changes in tax rates and no deficit spending. Again, we lived on less revenue in 2008 and did just fine. There is no need for this constant growth of government and spending. Debt and unfunded liabilities like ours are unsustainable. No tax rate tweaks can fix that. We must live within our means if we're not to fuck over future generations.

Looks like I was right.

To be fair you got it right but glad they did not default in the end.

Why? Because a default would have resulted in a ratings downgrade! Now we have the ratings downgrade AND more debt. Further, this "deal" the GOP cut cuts out the sequester that was set to go into effect Oct 1. Yea, even more debt! In addition, Obamacare proceeds unscathed and the politicians and their staff still get a pass on the laws they created.

How'd that work out?

As I said before, had the debt ceiling not been raised, we would NOT have defaulted and we would have been in a position to actually pressure the Progressives to cut spending and live within the laws they make. That would have avoided the downgrade.

What a disaster for the future of this country...

I understand your point on spending to be fair. 17 million trillion dollors in debt is far to high and national debt needs to be bought down. I think spending needs to be reduced. I think obama and boehner need to work in less partisan way to make this happen.

Looks like I was right.

Gop were to blame mostly for this shutdown as they shutdown the goverment to defund a law that was never going to be defunded. It was mad tactics and in end they got nothing out of it.

But i think if obama and boehner had a better relationship like tip o,neil and regan did they could have got both their sides in order.

Looks like I was right.

Gop were to blame mostly for this shutdown as they shutdown the goverment to defund a law that was never going to be defunded. It was mad tactics and in end they got nothing out of it.

But i think if obama and boehner had a better relationship like tip o,neil and regan did they could have got both their sides in order.

You can't put the reason for such a cool relationship on Obama. When Boehner and other GOP leaders first met and decided their #1 priority was to see Obama fail, they drew the line on the sand. He has tried - invited him over, Boehner refused.....there's only so much he can do.

You can't put the reason for such a cool relationship on Obama. When Boehner and other GOP leaders first met and decided their #1 priority was to see Obama fail, they drew the line on the sand. He has tried - invited him over, Boehner refused.....there's only so much he can do.

You make some good points and gop have not been easy to deal with. In my view though he lacks the commuication skills that clinton and reagan had in buliding relationships with people from the other side. I think the same can be said with boehner. Boehner not great in buliding relationship with dems. He not got skills that newt had.

I am not saying he is to blame for that. It just something he lacks.

Forum List

Back