CDZ Amending the Constitution

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Would you support the following amendment?

Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

the issue i see with that is, what and who define what is religion? should we make no law prohibiting a satanist ritual murder?

the issue i see with that is, what and who define what is religion? should we make no law prohibiting a satanist ritual murder?

then you have a conflict between laws against murder and Amendment which would be resolved in favor of laws against murder, obviously.

Better yet, why don't we grant them special tax-free status and pretend its not utterly insane to believe that magically, an invisible sky fairy impregnated a married virgin resulting in the birth of an ordinary baby who, we're supposed to believe, turned water into wine, walked on water and who's (magical, invisible) father later murdered him - yadda yadda yadda.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Our First Amendment already protects ALL religions EQUALLY and that is really what "christians' object to.

I would like to see "christians" actually follow the teachings of their "god" but that ain't gonna happen.

I would also like to see an end to the incessant whining from those who continue to perpetrate this enormous and very profitable scam. Apparently, that's not going to happening anytime soon either.

Instead, they ALWAYS have their hands out, demanding more and more and more and more rights for themselves and fewer and fewer and fewer and NO rights for any and all other religions.

Those same christians would never actually abide by such an amendment - as we see here, every single day. They want to be treated like royalty while denying basic rights to anyone who dares to disagree with them.

Pffft.

then you have a conflict between laws against murder and Amendment which would be resolved in favor of laws against murder, obviously.

yet, the amendment as stated in the OP would allow murder under free exercise.

Better yet, why don't we grant them special tax-free status and pretend its not utterly insane to believe that magically, an invisible sky fairy impregnated a married virgin resulting in the birth of an ordinary baby who, we're supposed to believe, turned water into wine, walked on water and who's (magical, invisible) father later murdered him - yadda yadda yadda.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Our First Amendment already protects ALL religions EQUALLY and that is really what "christians' object to.

I would like to see "christians" actually follow the teachings of their "god" but that ain't gonna happen.

I would also like to see an end to the incessant whining from those who continue to perpetrate this enormous and very profitable scam. Apparently, that's not going to happening anytime soon either.

Instead, they ALWAYS have their hands out, demanding more and more and more and more rights for themselves and fewer and fewer and fewer and NO rights for any and all other religions.

Those same christians would never actually abide by such an amendment - as we see here, every single day. They want to be treated like royalty while denying basic rights to anyone who dares to disagree with them.

Pffft.
Absolutely WRONG. What the Bill of Rights gives us is the freedom OF religion, not as you wish, freedom FROM religion.

That Amendment already exists:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Note the Establishment Clause, just as important as the Free Exercise – one Clause cannot exist without the other, representing the correct understanding by the Framers that there will always be those of bad faith seeking to conjoin church and state in an effort to use the power and authority of government to disadvantage those with whom they disagree and fear, to compel conformity at the expense of individual liberty, and to give an unwarranted political advantage to the religious majority.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Pffft.
Absolutely WRONG. What the Bill of Rights gives us is the freedom OF religion, not as you wish, freedom FROM religion.
Incorrect.

The Establishment Clause affords citizens freedom from religion where the state may not compel conformity as a condition of political participation.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Pffft.
Incorrect.

The Establishment Clause affords citizens freedom from religion where the state may not compel conformity as a condition of political participation.
Only as far as the State can't require you to be Presbyterian. The second clause is the kicker. It guaranties my freedom to worship as I please without state interference.
The point being that any state prohibition on, let's say, a prayer at a football game, violates the free expression clause.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Pffft.
Incorrect.

Only as far as the State can't require you to be Presbyterian. The second clause is the kicker. It guaranties my freedom to worship as I please without state interference.
The point being that any state prohibition on, let's say, a prayer at a football game, violates the free expression clause.

Bingo.

Oh wait.

We already do that.

Pffft.
Incorrect.

No freedom is unlimited. If your worship involves sacrificing a goat, you may run into some state interference, or having more than one spouse. As to the game, it depends upon the circumstances.

Forum List

Back