AMD RULES: 2.3 Petaflops per second

Yes but will it run Vista? :redface:

Just kidding!!!! :lol:

Well, you just messed up my breakfast,
I have two laptops with Vista and pondering the upgrade to win7, before I take them out back and........... I do love my XP, runs bascially in a flawless manner on two desktops. I will wait for the comments in about 6-12 months on Windows 7, so far reports are encouraging.

And now I see what the "Thank You" is about at the header, being a newbie, I am on a learning curve in USMB

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a learning curve, it's when it plateaus that the trouble starts :lol:

That was an interesting article. This sort of supercomputing is beyond my ken but it's always interesting to read about it and try get my head around the speed at which those computers can function.

Oh and you'll pick up on the Windows v Mac v Linux continuing discussion here no doubt. Yep, we'll be flopping all over the place on that, be assured :D

Nothing wrong with a learning curve, it's when it plateaus that the trouble starts :lol:

That was an interesting article. This sort of supercomputing is beyond my ken but it's always interesting to read about it and try get my head around the speed at which those computers can function.

Oh and you'll pick up on the Windows v Mac v Linux continuing discussion here no doubt. Yep, we'll be flopping all over the place on that, be assured :D

I am sure I shall. In the medical industry the MACS ruled for their graphics, they were awesome. I do not recall any problems from them, like the "blue Screen of Death" in Windows based machines. Linux, Red Hat etc have performed very well from what I have seen and more programming now is available for it also which is encouraging. Linux may be another choice, that's for sure.

I think it was in the early 1990s or so I had the chance to visit a model "School of the Future" here. The bloke showing me and some colleagues around showed us how Macs were used in classrooms. At that time I think I had an Olivetti 286 running Windows 3.1..okay stop laughing....and I was stunned by what they were doing at the model school. Macs were - and still are - the chosen system for education here (and of course graphics and design and so on). I admit I don't particularly like the Mac but there's no doubting what it can do.

I think it was in the early 1990s or so I had the chance to visit a model "School of the Future" here. The bloke showing me and some colleagues around showed us how Macs were used in classrooms. At that time I think I had an Olivetti 286 running Windows 3.1..okay stop laughing....and I was stunned by what they were doing at the model school. Macs were - and still are - the chosen system for education here (and of course graphics and design and so on). I admit I don't particularly like the Mac but there's no doubting what it can do.

I had a couple paragraphs typed and hit the "Phffft! Key" by error, so I'll say the same thing in less words this time :ack-1: I hate that, then have that "WTF" look on my face.

I still have in the attic the windows 2.11 3.2 and 6.2 and .22 discs, wonder if they can be used as antiques on eBay? :lol: Those 8088's and 6502's with those super 'fast' BUS speeds worked for us then. And remember that Apple 10 meg hard drive that was in a cabinet on top of the Apple II or was it III?
And I paid $400 for a 20meg hard drive for a Tandy 1000, now the last hard drive I got was 1 terabyte for $99! HOLY COW!!!
Still remember backups taking hours sometimes overnight. Now they are done in a few minutes or in the case of that AMD Puter chip, 1 X 10(-20) sec or so

Are we going to sound like the Two Yorkshiremen? (As opposed to the Four Yorkshiremen of Monty Python fam).

Somewhere in my collection of "stuff" I suspect I still have the one floppy disk (less than 512) using Mallard that drove my Amstrad. I just hope I never find it :lol:

Last edited:
I had a Petaflop once but it was because I drank too much alcohol. Next day everything worked just fine.:lol:

Well, I can beat that, I had two petaflops once when I took my two dogs out on the ice for a walk, they did a gr8 flop. :lol:

My reply isn't even funny, and I still posted it. I think I have enjoyed too much coffee. Some of my posts would qualify for that white hook they used on the Gong show. I'm the only one laughin.

I had a Petaflop once but it was because I drank too much alcohol. Next day everything worked just fine.:lol:

Well, I can beat that, I had two petaflops once when I took my two dogs out on the ice for a walk, they did a gr8 flop. :lol:

My reply isn't even funny, and I still posted it. I think I have enjoyed too much coffee. Some of my posts would qualify for that white hook they used on the Gong show. I'm the only one laughin.

We need a bit of levity once in a while, it removes the scars left by the snarkiness :D

We need a bit of levity once in a while, it removes the scars left by the snarkiness :D

*Snark* *Snark*
(Sandra Bullocks' laugh in Miss Congeniality)

Forum List

Back