Amazon and Microsoft battling for war cloud defense contract

That said, XBox sure has been an abject financial failure for them :abgg2q.jpg:

You too are apparently out of the loop.

How Microsoft’s record-setting $10B gaming year compares to rivals Sony and Nintendo

The Xbox brand isn't about the hardware. It is all about the software and annual subscriptions.

I didn't say anything about the hardware. MSFT has always been a software company.
Then wtf are you talking about? E3 from 7 years ago? Yeah that was bungled beyond all imaginable belief but you don't have to be number one among your competitors in sales numbers if you are marketing a brand and not just a plastic logo.

I really have no clue what you are on about. Office and Azure collectively rake in $40-$50B a year. It doesn't matter if it looks like it did today the way its did 3 years ago or 13 years ago. They have done away with disks so all you get in the box is a online download key and they restrict your licensing so that companies have to keep buying the same programs over and over and over again every time they replace a workstation, get a new laptop, etc etc etc. There is no more just reinstalling MS products as often as you want as long as you have the key from the box.
Many corporations have a “forced by MS” policy of upgrading annually even though they don’t install the software.

‘War cloud’: Amazon and Microsoft battle for $10 billion Pentagon fund

Amazon and Microsoft are battling it out over a $10 billion opportunity to build the U.S. military its first "war cloud" computing system. But Amazon's early hopes of a shock-and-awe victory may be slipping away.

Formally called the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure plan, or JEDI, the military's computing project would store and process vast amounts of classified data, allowing the Pentagon to use artificial intelligence to speed up its war planning and fighting capabilities. The Defense Department hopes to award the winner-take-all contract as soon as August. Oracle and IBM were eliminated at an earlier round of the contract competition.
Can we have Amazon and Microsoft actually battle it out...as in, they will try to literally destroy each other, and the one left barely standing gets the contract?

Put it on TV.

:beer:

Amazon would have to hire ms to do this, they have no hope

Amazon and Microsoft are battling it out over a $10 billion opportunity to build the U.S. military its first "war cloud" computing system. But Amazon's early hopes of a shock-and-awe victory may be slipping away.

Formally called the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure plan, or JEDI, the military's computing project would store and process vast amounts of classified data, allowing the Pentagon to use artificial intelligence to speed up its war planning and fighting capabilities. The Defense Department hopes to award the winner-take-all contract as soon as August. Oracle and IBM were eliminated at an earlier round of the contract competition.
Can we have Amazon and Microsoft actually battle it out...as in, they will try to literally destroy each other, and the one left barely standing gets the contract?

Put it on TV.

Has MS developed what Amazon currently has?

How Microsoft’s record-setting $10B gaming year compares to rivals Sony and Nintendo

The Xbox brand isn't about the hardware. It is all about the software and annual subscriptions.

I didn't say anything about the hardware. MSFT has always been a software company.
Then wtf are you talking about? E3 from 7 years ago? Yeah that was bungled beyond all imaginable belief but you don't have to be number one among your competitors in sales numbers if you are marketing a brand and not just a plastic logo.

I really have no clue what you are on about. Office and Azure collectively rake in $40-$50B a year. It doesn't matter if it looks like it did today the way its did 3 years ago or 13 years ago. They have done away with disks so all you get in the box is a online download key and they restrict your licensing so that companies have to keep buying the same programs over and over and over again every time they replace a workstation, get a new laptop, etc etc etc. There is no more just reinstalling MS products as often as you want as long as you have the key from the box.
And all of that has nothing to do with Microsoft being one of the top 3 companies in the world or your asinine response that Xbox was a failure.

Many corporations have a “forced by MS” policy of upgrading annually even though they don’t install the software.
There are no "forced" upgrades unless you are a computer illiterate.

And all of that has nothing to do with Microsoft being one of the top 3 companies in the world or your asinine response that Xbox was a failure.
Xbox is their success story.
No one under 20 knows MS even has another product.

MS's focus for a generation has been business software, apps, etc. home users just pay the bills. That said, XBox sure has been an abject financial failure for them :abgg2q.jpg:
As the father of a teenage boy, I am personally financing the SHIT out of Microsoft, thanks to the SOFTWARE side of XBOX.

Yup, just like Steam they make a HEFTY sum from every copy that is sold digitally or inserted into their console.
And YES, if a 3rd party makes a game and a player inserts that disk into an xbox console, that publisher has to pay Microsoft.
And now they have Gamepass ultimate which will be the Netflix of digital gaming and interactive narratives
At least netflix and amazon have competition.

Just announced is FlightSim 2020, which will be the replacement of the training software engine currently used by Lockheed Martin. It should be realistic enough to qualify for real-world pilot training.

AND it will be available through....you guessed it....Gamepass.

You have been able to legally log Flight Sim as sim time for at least ten years, probably closer to 15. You just have to have the right peripherals to emulate a cockpit condition. Sim time really doesn't count for much so you are really just acknowledging you are a gaming geek if you put that in your real log book.

Yes. I know.

Flying real planes is way too expensive, even with the new Sport Pilot Rules and proposed expanded rules.

Way too expensive.

I have children to feed....with video games.

I went all the way through my commercial/instrument but have no interest whatsoever in being an instructor. I actually got bored with flying once I stopped learning it LOL. It is very expensive though. You can get a local hop old as dirt plane for fairly cheap if you are that interested in doing it as a hobby.

Now all that said, I have never been able to fly Flight Sim worth a cuss. I am lucky to get the plane into the air even when it is one I have hours of real flight time in. I am not especially adept at keyboarding. I have spent hours on some combat games using a yolk and enjoyed them, but there is something about Flight Sim I never got the hang of. Maybe the lack of rudder pedals. Not sure.

I worked on Wall Street for 16 years; the contracts all included forced annual upgrades.

As the father of a teenage boy, I am personally financing the SHIT out of Microsoft, thanks to the SOFTWARE side of XBOX.

Yup, just like Steam they make a HEFTY sum from every copy that is sold digitally or inserted into their console.
And YES, if a 3rd party makes a game and a player inserts that disk into an xbox console, that publisher has to pay Microsoft.
And now they have Gamepass ultimate which will be the Netflix of digital gaming and interactive narratives

Just announced is FlightSim 2020, which will be the replacement of the training software engine currently used by Lockheed Martin. It should be realistic enough to qualify for real-world pilot training.

You have been able to legally log Flight Sim as sim time for at least ten years, probably closer to 15. You just have to have the right peripherals to emulate a cockpit condition. Sim time really doesn't count for much so you are really just acknowledging you are a gaming geek if you put that in your real log book.

Yes. I know.

Flying real planes is way too expensive, even with the new Sport Pilot Rules and proposed expanded rules.

Way too expensive.

I went all the way through my commercial/instrument but have no interest whatsoever in being an instructor. I actually got bored with flying once I stopped learning it LOL. It is very expensive though. You can get a local hop old as dirt plane for fairly cheap if you are that interested in doing it as a hobby.

Now all that said, I have never been able to fly Flight Sim worth a cuss. I am lucky to get the plane into the air even when it is one I have hours of real flight time in. I am not especially adept at keyboarding. I have spent hours on some combat games using a yolk and enjoyed them, but there is something about Flight Sim I never got the hang of. Maybe the lack of rudder pedals. Not sure.

You don't use a keyboard for flight sims lol

I worked on Wall Street for 16 years; the contracts all included forced annual upgrades.
There is NOTHING forced about a contract lol. Yall had a gun to your head?

I was being sarcastic. That should have been obvious by my many many posts praising them over wormy Apple.

Then Salomon Smith Barney pays 1000x the amount for a one time installation.
Which option would you choose?

Xbox is their success story.
No one under 20 knows MS even has another product.
I know. Even the idiots who use it everday (PC). They have no idea what Windows is and who makes it.

Just: (grunt) "Umm. Push button. Computaah open Facebook. Watch funny video. Laugh much. Umm." (grunt. fart). "Unga-Bunga"

I was being sarcastic. That should have been obvious by my many many posts praising them over wormy Apple.
I missed it.

And I agree 100% on Apple
Garbage company

Child slave labor
Proprietary bullshit that prevented things as simple as youtube from working on their phones back in the day....NO FLASH
And other similar nonsense all while being ridiculously overpriced while allowing only 80% of the programs or apps as their competitors

I think that is more related to cloud services. They basically hold your everything hostage in the cloud unless you pay them a ransom at the appointed date and time. It is not a model exclusive to MSFT, especially when it comes to database software. I was looking at some software not long back for work where the license fee was $39/user/month and it was all cloud based. I have seen some that was closer to $99/user/month

Yes. I know.

Way too expensive.

Oh, you have missed out on the realism.

SaitekBundle.jpg

ultimate_fs_06.jpg

And all that is a WHOLE LOT cheaper than training and rental costs. BY FAR!!!

:lol:

Then Salomon Smith Barney pays 1000x the amount for a one time installation.
Which option would you choose?
Neither, if I felt pushed into a deal I didn't like I would have opted for the slightly higher priced small company.
Point being we all have a choice

Put it on TV.

Has MS developed what Amazon currently has?
All Amazon does is sucker morons into free shipping that they pay for. Are you one of them

Forum List

Back