Amazing story of cat travelling over 5 miles back home

ninja007

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Living rent free in libs heads
I lost a cat in my yard 6 weeks ago, while transferring her into a holding cage for the night after getting spayed. She got out on transfer and ran away down the alley- My house is over 5 miles from where she lives, her colony. This cat never has been anywhere except at her colony. I just kept praying I'd see her again to catch her, take her to her home.

So I'm at that colony to feed the other cats last night- guess who I see? Yep- its her! crazy isn't it? How the heck did she find her way 5 miles plus west to her original spot?

I lost a cat in my yard 6 weeks ago, while transferring her into a holding cage for the night after getting spayed. She got out on transfer and ran away down the alley- My house is over 5 miles from where she lives, her colony. This cat never has been anywhere except at her colony. I just kept praying I'd see her again to catch her, take her to her home.

So I'm at that colony to feed the other cats last night- guess who I see? Yep- its her! crazy isn't it? How the heck did she find her way 5 miles plus west to her original spot?
Homeward Bound: The Impossible Journey 1963. I cried my little eyes out through most of it. Very amazing how they do it.

Did you take her home her or leave her?

shes a colony cat, her home is 5 miles away from my house, where she escaped- i took her home after the vet; she got spayed 6 weeks ago. Shr ran out of cage into the alley- never saw her again, until last night, 6 weeks, 5 miles away later..... her home is her colony 5 miles away from here. I cannot take anymore in.

shes a colony cat, her home is 5 miles away from my house, where she escaped- i took her home after the vet; she got spayed 6 weeks ago. Shr ran out of cage into the alley- never saw her again, until last night, 6 weeks, 5 miles away later..... her home is her colony 5 miles away from here. I cannot take anymore in.

So she travelled west for 6 weeks to get back. Thing is she knew how to get home somehow even though she doesn't know my area, where she got lost after escaping the cage.

So you left her with her colony and did not bring her home to your house when you found her?

So you left her with her colony and did not bring her home to your house when you found her?
She is probably tending a colony of feral cats. Spay and release so they don't keep reproducing, but don't make their life hell by putting them in a cage.

She is probably tending a colony of feral cats. Spay and release so they don't keep reproducing, but don't make their life hell by putting them in a cage.

I am just curious if she still brought it back again. I probably would have but understand those who wouldn't. I wish we had TNR here, but nope. You feed them feral cats and they catch you, tickets tickets tickets. I do it anyway. I just happen to know the hours of the police animal control so I do it before they come to work or after they get off.

I have a local colony of about half a dozen adult cats that I have gotten the females spayed in.

It takes a couple of days of INDOOR care so they can recover from the harsh surgery a female goes through.

In our neighborhood there is a huge feral cat colony of about two dozen cats near an abandoned industrial complex. From there the feral cats span out.

I put cages (pet crates) out where they like to sleep, and eventually they get used to sleeping in the crates.

Then I quietly sneak up on the crates in the night and close the door, then I can take them to the city clinic for spaying at $20 each, and return them to the colony afterwards also.

It then takes a couple of days of indoor care so they can recover.

During this recovery phase I give them flea treatments with the liquid vials of flea neurotoxin.

I think eventually the cats are happy not to be subject to pregnancy anymore.

It's like a sorority girl on the pill. Happy pills. Happy sorority girls.

Forum List

Back