Am I the only one annoyed by the term "Fourth of July?"

Y'all know that if you want to start getting technical and splitting hairs (which seems to be the theme of this thread) the actual "Independence Day" is July 2nd, the date that the Continental Congress voted for independence from England. July 4th is the date that the wording of the declaration was formalized and made public.

The fourth of a July is a date.

Today is Independence Day.

Yes...

I actually got to play that second grade joke on an adult yesterday. She's from Kenya and I asked her if England and a 4th of July, she of course said, "no"...Whereupon I explained that yes they do, they just don't celebrate our independence day. I hope she wasn't offended when I explained to her that the only reason I was able to get away with that joke is because she never attended second grade here....lol.

Many countries have an "Independence Day" ... so to determine which is which they often call them by the date. Cinco De Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day, which actually means the 5th of May. If you go to another country (or just talk to someone from another country) and say Independence Day they will likely look at you like you're crazy. That's why Fourth of July is valid and actually a preferred name when you are global.

Cinco de mayo is only on of Mexico's independence days. Them fuckers have every excuse in the world to party.

I love it since we celebrate most of them here.:lol:

LOL ... not my point, but yeah.

Many countries have an "Independence Day" ... so to determine which is which they often call them by the date. Cinco De Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day, which actually means the 5th of May. If you go to another country (or just talk to someone from another country) and say Independence Day they will likely look at you like you're crazy. That's why Fourth of July is valid and actually a preferred name when you are global.

Indeed. Let's qualify it to 7/4.

That will confuse Europeans as they will think we declared independence on April 7th.

The term "4th of July" is understood worldwide for what it means. It is a unique American term. It is an American "brand." "Independence Day" applies to many different countries and is not understood widely as an American term.

Forum List

Back