Am I getting old? (A thread that has nothing to do with politics!)

I used to have an antique telephone next to the bed. It was the kind that you had to pick up in order to get a dial tone and the dial was on the bottom. My grand daughters thought that dial was the coolest thing and wanted to call everybody to tell them about it.

The funny thing was, they didn't know they had to pull the dial all the way around until the finger hit the little curved "stay".

One of my pre-teen grand daughters bought new jeans and tried to explain them to me. "They don't come all the way up to here (her waist). Oh never mind. You'll just have to see them to understand".

Cracked me up but I didn't tell her that my generation invented "hip huggers".

Its okay to get older but no way I'm getting old.

:lol: yep, we had hip huggers, they have low riders, we had bell bottoms, they have flair legs...guess there really is nothing new under the sun.

For those playing along at home, I just hit 50 last month. Sometimes I feel I'm perhaps out of reference with the people I work with.

We do these health walks after work (our plant is right next to a forest preserve) and during the walk, one of the gals made the comment, "I think I saw a Coyote!"

To which I replied "Okay, were there a bunch of wooden ACME crates and some badly designed traps?"

150px-Wile_E_Coyote.gif

and some of the younger kids just didn't get the joke... When I explained, they still didn't know who Wile E. Coyote was.

There are other examples from TV shows or songs that are part of my half-century of experience that were "before their time", but this one stuck out.

For some of our older posters. Do you have these sorts of experiences?

It gets worse.
There are people who insist Woodstock was in 1994.

I'm not all that young, either. Seriously.

I just don't know what that is.

You put them on turn tables to accommodate 45 records.
Ohhhhh! OK. Thanks. Yeah, because 12" albums had the small hole and the smaller, higher rotational speed ones had the bigger hole.
The 12" long play (and maybe stereo) vinyl records could record about 45 minutes of music per side.
The 45 RPM vinyl records could hold only one song per side.
And the really old 78 RPM records were 10" in diameter and could only hold one song per side. They now sell for $10-$75 if in good condition. They were made of shellac coated wax.

For those playing along at home, I just hit 50 last month. Sometimes I feel I'm perhaps out of reference with the people I work with.

We do these health walks after work (our plant is right next to a forest preserve) and during the walk, one of the gals made the comment, "I think I saw a Coyote!"

To which I replied "Okay, were there a bunch of wooden ACME crates and some badly designed traps?"

150px-Wile_E_Coyote.gif

and some of the younger kids just didn't get the joke... When I explained, they still didn't know who Wile E. Coyote was.

There are other examples from TV shows or songs that are part of my half-century of experience that were "before their time", but this one stuck out.

North Shore Bike Path???

150px-Wile_E_Coyote.gif

North Shore Bike Path???

No, a suburban forsest preserve out past O'Hare.

Nice thing about Cook County and Dupage counties, we have a lot of forest preserves.

Unfortunately, we also have Coyotes now. One even got into a Starbucks downtown a couple years back.

150px-Wile_E_Coyote.gif

North Shore Bike Path???

No, a suburban forsest preserve out past O'Hare.

Nice thing about Cook County and Dupage counties, we have a lot of forest preserves.

Unfortunately, we also have Coyotes now. One even got into a Starbucks downtown a couple years back.

We have Cougars here (Lake County) - they've been eating the Coyotes......

I saw a gigantic cougar last summer - I thought it escaped from the zoo..... I'll kill them if I see them......

Coyotes are more active in the winter.......Rarely will they attack humans, they just "howell" all night .....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back