Allies and Adversaries

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by onedomino, Apr 28, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Here’s a chance to give your geopolitical opinion about America’s most significant allies and adversaries. Also a question about the most dangerous countries. My choices follow the questions.

Name America’s five most significant allies in order of importance.
    1. Japan
    2. UK
    3. Australia
    4. Poland
    5. Israel
    Next in line: India; not sure if Canada makes the top ten.

Name America’s five most significant adversaries in order of importance.
    1. China
    2. Russia, the new Soviets
    3. Iran
    4. North Korea
    5. France
    Next in line: Germany

Name the World’s two most dangerous countries.
    1. Iran
    2. Pakistan

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    1. UK
    2. Israel
    3. Japan
    4. Australia

1. Iran
    2. Illegal immigration
    3. everybody else

1. Iran
    2. China

3. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    1. UK
    2. Israel
    3. Japan
    4. Australia
    5. Poland

1. Iran
    2. China
    3. Iran
    4. North Korea
    5. France

1. Iran
    2. Pakistan[/QUOTE]

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Thanks for your response. However there does not seem to be much interest in these questions. The answers point toward how America should focus its foreign policy and its participation in free trade agreements. We might consider attempts to further integrate our economy with our most significant allies while restricting integration with adversaries. Why, for example, do we provide virtually unlimited US market access to our number one adversary China? Thereby giving them the financial capacity to build their military and oppose US foreign policy efforts in places like Sudan and Iran. China is using resources obtained from access to the US market to ink billions worth of oil and natural gas contracts (including infrastructure development) with Iran. Then the Mullahs use thereby derived financial gain to fund Hezbollah and develop nuclear weapons. American foreign policy should be closely linked to trade agreements that suppress terror activities and nuclear proliferation. Some make the argument that integrating out economy with those of our adversaries makes them more compliant with our foreign policy objectives. Clearly, that approach is not working.

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I've been reading with interest but since I'm not American a response from me would skew your poll. But if I can I'd like to comment on your points in this commentary.

Capitalism, as Marx pointed out, has within it the seeds of its own destruction. In our world now the corporation is more powerful than the state. The US is the pre-eminent free market economy in the world. The corporations which dominate the free market demand freedom to operate so that they can maximise profit. Regulation of any type is anathema to the free marketer and the corporation. A corporation or an interest-grouping will devote much time and money to stop regulation of its activities. A corporation would trade with Satan if it meant a profit. As has been pointed out elsewhere - http://www.thecorporation.com/ - the corporation has no conscience.

So the first conundrum appears. In a free market should the government prohibit trading with a state that represents a threat to it? I say it should, no question of that. The free marketer says no, the market must be untrammelled. So the corporation is free to trade with the threatening state, blind to the potential threat to its own existence. Its own greed threatens its existence. But since a corporation isn't a human it has no residual survival instinct, it's only driver is greed.

The upshot of this is that if the free market is allowed to operate without hindrance then the threatening states will take advantage of trade and build up its own hostile potential and perhaps may unleash it if the right circumstances arise.

So, should foreign policy and trade policy be aligned? I think in the interests of national security it's necessary.

6. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    diruetic, where r u from?

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Australia.

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It would be interesting to see your non-American perspective on the list of American allies and adversaries. Maybe an Australian list, or both. I do not believe that capitalism contains the seeds of its own destruction. I believe that effective leadership and education can prevent that. I am for free trade. I am not for lining the pockets of our adversaries. I do not think that those positions must be mutually exclusive. For example, I would support a zero restriction trade policy with Australia and Japan. Even including our most advanced technology, military and otherwise. I would also support increased consumer prices, if that was the result of restricted trade with an adversary such as China. I think that many Americans (and maybe Australians also) do not understand the linkage between buying cheap consumer items at Wal-Mart (or similar stores), a modernized Chinese military, and nuclear weapons development in Iran (outlined above). But I think that many would adapt their consumer choices if there was effective leadership and education. Clearly, the media has little interest in such education because in the short-term it would probably translate into reduced advertising revenue.

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    From the bottom right hand side of the Mercator projection:

Name America’s five most significant allies in order of importance - this is based on alliances for strategic military and not trade purposes.

1. Canda
    2. UK
    3. Germany
    4. Saudi Arabia
    5. Australia

Threats

1. China
    2. N. Korea
    3. Iran
    4. Russia

Two most dangerous countries

1. China
    2. N. Korea

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I have to disagree with your allies list.

Canada is a laibility and rides our coattails.

Germany's too "iffy," and Saudi Arabia could as easily be on the other list.