All cars today look the same

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
No distinctive cars like the 65 Mustang.

I rememberon driving trips it used to be a game to point out all of the different makes and models.

Hell - even VW bugs today look sterile.

The 60s Bugs had an endearing quality about them.

Even the gas stations back then had more character.

The gas was regular or ethal.

The gas stations were Shell, Texeco, Mobil, Esso, 76 (big orange ball) and a few others.

This polite guy in a uniform with his name stitched on would wipe your windsheild and check the oil and tires for free.

It's a shame all cars look the same now. You used to be able to tell a car by what it looked like. Now, they all look the same and the biggest majority of them are all white.

Ginscpy,

Couldn't agree more :eusa_angel:

.. except, I found a model that suits me fine - it's a Mazda MX5.

Expensive when new (around $30,000) - but well engineered.

I purchased mine from a Sports Car garage for only $7500 with only 25,000 miles on the clock. It had been driven by a local lady who only did 1,000 miles a year. Lovely.:eusa_angel:

It has an old fashioned prop-shaft to a rear differential, and the weight balanced on all four wheels.

The gear ratios are superbly chosen - 3rd gear will take you from 15mph to 50 mph - top speed over 100mph due to beautiful streamlining.:eusa_clap:

Through a series of bends, it seems to be on rails, and you can gain a quarter mile on most normal cars due to it gripping the road so well .. :D

My daughter bought one as well, and loves driving in the late evening, when you get a cosy orange glow from the instrument panel - and nice warm air from the heating system.
Driving at it's best ..:eusa_clap:

Here's my lovely MX5 (I think you call them Miata over there) .. :eusa_angel:

Attachments

• $mx5sideview.jpg
    $mx5sideview.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 123

I rememberon driving trips it used to be a game to point out all of the different makes and models.

finally something i agree with.
The founder of Israel at the groundbreaking ceremony of the first VW factory.......... :cool:

hitler-at-berlin-19382.jpg

Last edited:

finally something i agree with.
The founder of Israel at the groundbreaking ceremony of the first VW factory.......... :cool:

hitler-at-berlin-19382.jpg

That's Adolph Hitler - he had nothing to do with the establishment of Israel.

'Under the chairmanship of the Dr HV Evatt, the Australian Minister for External Affairs, the UN Special Committee recommended the establishment of an independent Jewish State in Palestine, together with a neighbouring independent Arab State, and this was endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly in November 1947.

The State of Israel was subsequently proclaimed in Tel Aviv on 14 May 1948.'

The foundation of the State of Israel, 1948 - Fact sheet 158

Furthermore, that comment is completely off topic - I would like to see this post removed from this section.:eusa_naughty:

Its true cars dont have the diverse styling they used too and thats because of COST, it costs a fortune and that would translate into the price of the vehicle.
Cars arent a wild array of styles and colors anymore but they are far far safer than they ever were and more fuel efficient and they last much longer with far less problems than the older cars.
I loved the days when you could instantly tell a chevy from a pontiac from a chrysler and ford.

Someday they will all be exactly the same car. They will just slap a ford mustang or chevrolet make sticker on it to make you feel better about it. They will come in white, grey or black

:lol:

I don't agree with it fully because some cars looks gorgeous than other. Yeah it is right, that some cars have same style and design but it doesn't means that every car has same design and style. The main thing is feature and comfortableness are important.

Yeah I don't entirely buy it. It may be true for some cars but there are plenty of distinctive cars out there.

Austin makes gorgeous cars. The new Fords and Chrysler's are definitely distinctive. GM has lost their way a bit (although Cadillac seems on firm footing). The Audi TT RS is a looker...

The only real difference is that many of the sharp edges of the past have been smoothed out in the name of economy (aerodynamics) and safety (crash test). But compared to what we had in the 70's, 80's and 90's, today's cars seem high style.

Last edited:
There is a reason for that.

First politicians decided they wanted to be automotive engineers and told the car manufacturer's what the standards had to be.
Then the car manufacturer's decided that the bean counters should be in charge instead of actual automotive engineers which caused car to loose their distinctive styling.

First politicians decided they wanted to be automotive engineers and told the car manufacturer's what the standards had to be.
Then the car manufacturer's decided that the bean counters should be in charge instead of actual automotive engineers which caused car to loose their distinctive styling.

Actually you have that backward. The designers want the cars to look cool. The engineers care more about how they actually work.

Car design has always been a balancing act between designers, engineers and accounting.

Actually you have that backward. The designers want the cars to look cool. The engineers care more about how they actually work.

Car design has always been a balancing act between designers, engineers and accounting.

You have a point....The old Form vs Function
Then you have the bean counter throw in the cost factor.

Forum List

Back