Alberto steps in it...

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Bullypulpit, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Seems the firing of eight federal attorneys has led to some unintended consequences for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. But then, that's not a hat he'd ever really worn at the DoJ. He's mostly served as an enabler for the Bush administration's policies. You know...warrantless wire-tapping...justifying torture...the suspension of <i>habeas corpus</i>...FBI abuses of the PATRIOT Act...little things like that. Taken as a whole though, they add up to Mr. Gonzales failing in his duties as Attorney General. His job is to enforce the law, not help the Executive branch castrate the Legislative and Judicial branches. His job is to uphold the laws, not serve as an enabler to an administration drunk on its fever dreams of power.

The scandals that have erupted around him in the last week show just how badly he has failed as the nation's top law enforcement officer, and give us insights into just how corrupt this administration is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    And all the time I thought that was YOUR job, Bully ! :lol:

3. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And it doesn't bother you that the Department of Justice, under Alberto Gonzales, has become a political arm of of the White House rather than the impartial law enforcement agency it is supposed to be?

Hiring and firing US attorneys on the basis of their political cooperation with the administration's agenda completely undermines the purpose of having federal attorneys, in general, and the Justice Department in particular. Using an obscure provision of the mis-named PATRIOT Act, prosecutors hired under this provision need not go through the Senate confirmation process. This attempt to end-run the Senate and its oversight function is simply another example of how this administration seeks to gather power to itself, undermining the Legislative and Judicial branches...Another example of its obsession with secrecy...Another attempt to undermine the Constitution.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm just going to rely on you to fix everything by bringing together a coalition of Bullys.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    The DoJ has been getting more and more political each decade, in my opinion.

Your indignation is sooo insincere...I wonder if you will have the same view if in 08 we have a Dem president who fires them all simply for political reasons...somehow I think not. I can already see your post about how such an action is merely to correct a grievous error by the previous administration.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed--It will fit under the category of "things we can't do because Bush messed it all up so bady". :oops:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And this just in, the Senate Judiciary Committee has voted to authorize the use of subpoenas in the matter of hearings on this grab for power. The subpoenas will include those DoJ officials involved in the firings...Michael Elston, Kyle Sampson, Monica Goodling, Bill Mercer and Mike Battle as well as six of the eight fired attorneys. Carol Lam of California, Bud Cummins of Arkansas, Paul Charlton of Arizona, John McKay of Washington state, Daniel Bogden of Nevada, David Iglesias of New Mexico, who have already given testimony before the House Committee will be subpoenaed as well.

A decision on subpoenas for White House officials involved in this matter are being delayed for a week. This likely to give the White House a chance to come clean...Which they won't. They'll claim 'executive privilege' which, since national security isn't involved, shouldn't apply.

8. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oversight by Congress?

What a novel idea? I'd almost forgotten what that was in the past six years.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

Ah...the DoJ in cahoots with the Congress trying to undermine the Executive I see....I guess that doesn't bother you one bit, does it, Bully? I swear you would cut off your own manhood if you thought it would get at Bush.

10. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Ahem. It is standard practice for an incoming POTUS to dismiss his predecessor's appointees and replace them with his own. This has been the case going back to Reagan that I know of. The only difference here is that GWB if performing an in-term replacement of some of the US Attorneys. There's no problem with a POTUS replacing the US Attorneys en masse on his entering office, and there is nothing wrong with replacing the US Attorneys during his tenure in the Oval OFfice.

The only people who have a problem with this are people who are desperate to find ANYTHING to attack GWB as POTUS. Rather than stick to factual or legal issues, they raise an emotional and sensational clamor in order to do some political grandstanding.