Alan Keyes becoming the newest flip-flopper

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Keyes Changes Stance on Agriculture Dept.

On his first campaign trip into Illinois farm country, Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes said Thursday he no longer favors abolishing the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Keyes in 1996 had called the department an "expensive top-heavy bureaucracy that was not actually contributing to the good of the farmers." But he said Thursday things had changed under Republican leadership in Washington and he now favors keeping the department.

Democratic rival state Sen. Barack Obama's campaign called Keyes' statement "a dramatic flip-flop."

Keyes, speaking at Republican Day at the State Fair, also expressed support for tax breaks that encourage development of alternative fuels such as corn-based ethanol.

Keyes initially denied ever saying the Agriculture Department should be combined with other federal agencies. "I am sure that's a misquote," he said.

When pressed on the issue later, Keyes said he had double-checked and now recalled opposing the Agriculture Department when he ran for president in 1996.

Back then, the department imposed too much red tape on farmers and wasted money the government could not afford to spend, he said. He said that had changed under Republican leadership.

"What's most alarming about Mr. Keyes' dramatic flip-flop is that it took him eight years and a trip to the State Fair to understand how important agriculture is to Illinois," said Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Asked about tax breaks for the ethanol industry, Keyes called it "very important" to encourage development of alternative fuels, especially those that help farmers.

Keyes would not say where he stands on lifting the federal embargo on trade with Cuba, an idea that many farmers support as a way to open a new market for U.S. goods. Keyes said he prefers to focus on trade opportunities in larger, wealthier markets such as China and Japan.

Chuck Spencer, director of national policy issues for the Illinois Farm Bureau, welcomed Keyes' turnaround on abolishing the Agriculture Department. "A number of Illinois farmers rely on the USDA and the services it provides," he said.

Keyes jumped into the Illinois Senate race this month to fill the vacancy created when Republican nominee Jack Ryan dropped out and party leaders could not agree on anyone else as a replacement. The former ambassador moved from Maryland to an apartment in Illinois to qualify as a candidate.

Associated Press

Arrgghh. I had been a pretty big Keyes supporter until he started this campaign. But if he's flip-flopping like Kerry, how does he expect to win any votes? :mad:

maybe he really had a change of mind. It's quite possible that someone with as much experience as he would learn and grow.

Kerry just really flips and he's a flop.

Alan Keyes is a true conservative. He also has some ideas that do not sit well with the realities of a political race. There will be some glitches to be sure.

This race against Barack Obama will be an interesting race to watch.
Both black. Both excellent speakers. Both strong believers in their ideology.
Definitely a liberal vs. conservative race.

Is Obama's free ride over with as suggested on Hannity & Colmes?
Asked by co-host Sean Hannity to assess Obama as an opponent, Keyes said,

"Well, I thought, given all the hype, that there was some substance there. Today, however, after saying he wanted six debates, that he'd debate anybody that the Republicans put up, I'm told today he had a press conference, somebody told me now he wants to reduce it to two."

Continued Keyes, "He says and claims, and everybody claims, he has such national stature and ability. I step onto the scene, and he's running for the ropes at the side of the arena."

http://www.renewamerica.us/news/040810hannity.htm

Who do you think Illinois will vote for?

With the 'no tax reparations', he should be a shoe in to get the black vote, especially if he continues promising them everything. The rest of the state is another matter.

DKSuddeth said:
With the 'no tax reparations', he should be a shoe in to get the black vote, especially if he continues promising them everything. The rest of the state is another matter.

True. That's an idea of his that does not sit well with me either but it may help him against Obama who I'm sure is promising stuff as well.

DKSuddeth said:

No doubt.

He's just another politician whoring himself out for votes.

DKSuddeth said:
Keyes Changes Stance on Agriculture Dept.

On his first campaign trip into Illinois farm country, Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes said Thursday he no longer favors abolishing the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Keyes in 1996 had called the department an "expensive top-heavy bureaucracy that was not actually contributing to the good of the farmers." But he said Thursday things had changed under Republican leadership in Washington and he now favors keeping the department.

Democratic rival state Sen. Barack Obama's campaign called Keyes' statement "a dramatic flip-flop."

Keyes, speaking at Republican Day at the State Fair, also expressed support for tax breaks that encourage development of alternative fuels such as corn-based ethanol.

Keyes initially denied ever saying the Agriculture Department should be combined with other federal agencies. "I am sure that's a misquote," he said.

When pressed on the issue later, Keyes said he had double-checked and now recalled opposing the Agriculture Department when he ran for president in 1996.

Back then, the department imposed too much red tape on farmers and wasted money the government could not afford to spend, he said. He said that had changed under Republican leadership.

"What's most alarming about Mr. Keyes' dramatic flip-flop is that it took him eight years and a trip to the State Fair to understand how important agriculture is to Illinois," said Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Asked about tax breaks for the ethanol industry, Keyes called it "very important" to encourage development of alternative fuels, especially those that help farmers.

Keyes would not say where he stands on lifting the federal embargo on trade with Cuba, an idea that many farmers support as a way to open a new market for U.S. goods. Keyes said he prefers to focus on trade opportunities in larger, wealthier markets such as China and Japan.

Chuck Spencer, director of national policy issues for the Illinois Farm Bureau, welcomed Keyes' turnaround on abolishing the Agriculture Department. "A number of Illinois farmers rely on the USDA and the services it provides," he said.

Keyes jumped into the Illinois Senate race this month to fill the vacancy created when Republican nominee Jack Ryan dropped out and party leaders could not agree on anyone else as a replacement. The former ambassador moved from Maryland to an apartment in Illinois to qualify as a candidate.

Associated Press
I like Allan Keyes, but he also flip-flopped when he decided to run in Illinois. Back in 2000, Keyes hammered Hillary Clinton for running in New York because she has no ties to that state. Keyes has no ties to Illinois.

I would like to be able to vote GOP for Senate, just don't think I'll be able to do it. Keyes is not only a carpetbagger, but his new stance on reparations make it impossible for me to do so.

Kathianne said:
I would like to be able to vote GOP for Senate, just don't think I'll be able to do it. Keyes is not only a carpetbagger, but his new stance on reparations make it impossible for me to do so.

Would you rather see Obama win? So Keyes has a couple dings against him. Actually I think his reparations idea has been around for some time, I think when he was in some of the Presidential races. I doubt that it will ever get anywhere in Congress if he tried to push for it there. Has he yet made it an issue? (I'm not from Illinois)

Obama is a definite liberal and Keyes is a definite conservative - a clear choice. I dont see many other significant differences between the two other than Keyes is from out of state and Obama is newer on the political scene. It's going to make the race rather intriguing to watch.

Check out their widely different political stances:
http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm
(click on their names)

ScreamingEagle said:
Would you rather see Obama win? So Keyes has a couple dings against him. Actually I think his reparations idea has been around for some time, I think when he was in some of the Presidential races. I doubt that it will ever get anywhere in Congress if he tried to push for it there. Has he yet made it an issue? (I'm not from Illinois)

Obama is a definite liberal and Keyes is a definite conservative - a clear choice. I dont see many other significant differences between the two other than Keyes is from out of state and Obama is newer on the political scene. It's going to make the race rather intriguing to watch.

Check out their widely different political stances:
http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm
(click on their names)

In all honesty, Keyes has nearly always been to the right of myself. Now that he's running here, he gets kinda ga ga, looks like trying to appeal to black voters, after all, Obama is 1/2 black. Sorry, also have to look at who might help Illinois, which would not be Keyes, if he had a chance. Now I can vote against him on priciple.

Is there a Libertarian running in the race? (where's tpahl when you want him around!?) A Libertarian would be my choice in that race.

Kathianne said:
In all honesty, Keyes has nearly always been to the right of myself. Now that he's running here, he gets kinda ga ga, looks like trying to appeal to black voters, after all, Obama is 1/2 black. Sorry, also have to look at who might help Illinois, which would not be Keyes, if he had a chance. Now I can vote against him on priciple.

Kathianne, just curious, how would Obama help Illinois vs Keyes not helping? Is it a farm issue you're referring to?

ScreamingEagle said:
I see your point. :thup:

But is that any reason to vote for a Democritter? :eek2:

You know, IF I was a Democrat, this election I WOULD HAVE TO vote for Bush, as the Democratic Party seems to have lost direction, clarity, etc. The same is true of the GOP in Illinois. They have got to clean up their act.

ScreamingEagle said:
Alan Keyes is a true conservative. He also has some ideas that do not sit well with the realities of a political race.

Unfortunately he is running as a true republican. :)

Forum List

Back