Alan Keyes becoming the newest flip-flopper

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DKSuddeth, Aug 21, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Keyes Changes Stance on Agriculture Dept.

On his first campaign trip into Illinois farm country, Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes said Thursday he no longer favors abolishing the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Keyes in 1996 had called the department an "expensive top-heavy bureaucracy that was not actually contributing to the good of the farmers." But he said Thursday things had changed under Republican leadership in Washington and he now favors keeping the department.

Democratic rival state Sen. Barack Obama's campaign called Keyes' statement "a dramatic flip-flop."

Keyes, speaking at Republican Day at the State Fair, also expressed support for tax breaks that encourage development of alternative fuels such as corn-based ethanol.

Keyes initially denied ever saying the Agriculture Department should be combined with other federal agencies. "I am sure that's a misquote," he said.

When pressed on the issue later, Keyes said he had double-checked and now recalled opposing the Agriculture Department when he ran for president in 1996.

Back then, the department imposed too much red tape on farmers and wasted money the government could not afford to spend, he said. He said that had changed under Republican leadership.

"What's most alarming about Mr. Keyes' dramatic flip-flop is that it took him eight years and a trip to the State Fair to understand how important agriculture is to Illinois," said Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Asked about tax breaks for the ethanol industry, Keyes called it "very important" to encourage development of alternative fuels, especially those that help farmers.

Keyes would not say where he stands on lifting the federal embargo on trade with Cuba, an idea that many farmers support as a way to open a new market for U.S. goods. Keyes said he prefers to focus on trade opportunities in larger, wealthier markets such as China and Japan.

Chuck Spencer, director of national policy issues for the Illinois Farm Bureau, welcomed Keyes' turnaround on abolishing the Agriculture Department. "A number of Illinois farmers rely on the USDA and the services it provides," he said.

Keyes jumped into the Illinois Senate race this month to fill the vacancy created when Republican nominee Jack Ryan dropped out and party leaders could not agree on anyone else as a replacement. The former ambassador moved from Maryland to an apartment in Illinois to qualify as a candidate.

Associated Press

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Arrgghh. I had been a pretty big Keyes supporter until he started this campaign. But if he's flip-flopping like Kerry, how does he expect to win any votes? :mad:

3. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    maybe he really had a change of mind. It's quite possible that someone with as much experience as he would learn and grow.

Kerry just really flips and he's a flop.

4. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Alan Keyes is a true conservative. He also has some ideas that do not sit well with the realities of a political race. There will be some glitches to be sure.

This race against Barack Obama will be an interesting race to watch.
    Both black. Both excellent speakers. Both strong believers in their ideology.
    Definitely a liberal vs. conservative race.

Is Obama's free ride over with as suggested on Hannity & Colmes?
    Asked by co-host Sean Hannity to assess Obama as an opponent, Keyes said,

"Well, I thought, given all the hype, that there was some substance there. Today, however, after saying he wanted six debates, that he'd debate anybody that the Republicans put up, I'm told today he had a press conference, somebody told me now he wants to reduce it to two."

Continued Keyes, "He says and claims, and everybody claims, he has such national stature and ability. I step onto the scene, and he's running for the ropes at the side of the arena."

http://www.renewamerica.us/news/040810hannity.htm

Who do you think Illinois will vote for?

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    With the 'no tax reparations', he should be a shoe in to get the black vote, especially if he continues promising them everything. The rest of the state is another matter.

6. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    True. That's an idea of his that does not sit well with me either but it may help him against Obama who I'm sure is promising stuff as well.

7. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,201
    No doubt.

He's just another politician whoring himself out for votes.

8. britinusa

britinusa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I like Allan Keyes, but he also flip-flopped when he decided to run in Illinois. Back in 2000, Keyes hammered Hillary Clinton for running in New York because she has no ties to that state. Keyes has no ties to Illinois.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I would like to be able to vote GOP for Senate, just don't think I'll be able to do it. Keyes is not only a carpetbagger, but his new stance on reparations make it impossible for me to do so.

10. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Keyes' campaign is just weird from start to finish.