Al gore

It was in the 90's here yesterday when I unfortunately was hand-mixing and pouring 35 bags of concrete so I would have preferred their weather over mine.

Lol.....here in New York every swinging dick would trade their left nut for 90 degrees. We've been using nut sack warmers around here almost every day since October. Cold as shit.....rain too! Snow here last week.

Al is a relic of a former era.

My collection of left nuts is too high. Why won't you folks ever offer up your right one so I can have an even pair to put on ebay? :21:

In the South 90+ degree weather sometimes comes with 90+ percent humidity so be careful what you wish for, especially in a place where people like you probably don't have air conditioning. It is the GD humidity that will kill ya.

I always hang out on the back porch in the late spring and everyday after to acclimate myself.
I'm good up to 98 on the Gulf Coast. Of course these days that means sitting in the shade with a cool drink and a fan.

98 degrees on the Gulf Coast? That's pretty hot even by the standards of a dude on the West Coast. Most of our heat-waves here are in the 80s-90s, but it only rarely gets so close to 100. I certainly hope you have a nice air conditioner and a lot of cold, icy beverages, lol.

98 is common,as are temps into the 100's along with high humidity.
What I'll never do again? Buy a house where the backyard faces north.
I'm on the sixth fairway and the north wind rips across it!! The second floor balcony is useless in the winter.

For whatever this advice is worth, when I was in Las Vegas in the summer of 1994 to see the Grateful Dead, it was going through a 115 degree heat wave at the time. So when I was outdoors in that temperature, my instant cure was to dump a big bottle of icewater all over myself (which dried in a matter of minutes, given that desert climate). Basically, if you are sweltering in extreme temperatures, it may behoove you to dump some ice-cold water all over yourself from time to time. Unless your home has a strong air conditioning system.

My collection of left nuts is too high. Why won't you folks ever offer up your right one so I can have an even pair to put on ebay? :21:

In the South 90+ degree weather sometimes comes with 90+ percent humidity so be careful what you wish for, especially in a place where people like you probably don't have air conditioning. It is the GD humidity that will kill ya.

I always hang out on the back porch in the late spring and everyday after to acclimate myself.
I'm good up to 98 on the Gulf Coast. Of course these days that means sitting in the shade with a cool drink and a fan.

98 degrees on the Gulf Coast? That's pretty hot even by the standards of a dude on the West Coast. Most of our heat-waves here are in the 80s-90s, but it only rarely gets so close to 100. I certainly hope you have a nice air conditioner and a lot of cold, icy beverages, lol.

I'm on the sixth fairway and the north wind rips across it!! The second floor balcony is useless in the winter.

I am like that but for the opposite reason--it is because the front of the house faces south in full sun. I don't think the curtains/blinds on the front have been touched in a few years because it is like a supernova if you dare open them during the day.

Uhhhh.....the sun rises in the east.

And in Virginia it is shining south to north all freaking day because you know, we aren't on the equator.

Lol.....here in New York every swinging dick would trade their left nut for 90 degrees. We've been using nut sack warmers around here almost every day since October. Cold as shit.....rain too! Snow here last week.

I am like that but for the opposite reason--it is because the front of the house faces south in full sun. I don't think the curtains/blinds on the front have been touched in a few years because it is like a supernova if you dare open them during the day.

The key to keeping your home cool on a very hot day is to leave your windows open the night before, filling it with that cool night air (I'm a night-owl who goes to bed around 5 am). And as you said, keeping the curtains closed so the sun doesn't glare in and start baking everything.

For whatever this advice is worth, when I was in Las Vegas in the summer of 1994 to see the Grateful Dead, it was going through a 115 degree heat wave at the time. So when I was outdoors in that temperature, my instant cure was to dump a big bottle of icewater all over myself (which dried in a matter of minutes, given that desert climate). Basically, if you are sweltering in extreme temperatures, it may behoove you to dump some ice-cold water all over yourself from time to time. Unless your home has a strong air conditioning system.

Meh....I've spent time in the desert.
Loved the frigid nights and the hot days!!!

My home has an excellent AC system. It was the first thing I put in before I moved in. Unfortunately it is enviro eco energy saving shit so the thermostat only goes down to 68. I would rather it go to 65 for when we have triple digit days because as decent as it is, on those high 90's to 100 days I am pretty certain the ridge cap they installed when I put on the architectural shingles makes it a little less air tight.

That's how they invented swamp coolers

The key to keeping your home cool on a very hot day is to leave your windows open the night before, filling it with that cool night air (I'm a night-owl who goes to bed around 5 am). And as you said, keeping the curtains closed so the sun doesn't glare in and start baking everything.

Doesn't really work like that around here unless there is a T-storm. That is fine in spring and fall, but when we have really hot days, it is generally muggy and either hot all night or already reaching 90 by 8:30 or 9 am. We don't get a lot of those days anymore. I understand the area did in the 70's and I think they had a few week long spells in the 80's but it has been a few years since we even got close to 100. Usually 94 to 95 is where it peters out.

Which of course dont work in high humidity.

My home has an excellent AC system. It was the first thing I put in before I moved in. Unfortunately it is enviro eco energy saving shit so the thermostat only goes down to 68. I would rather it go to 65 for when we have triple digit days because as decent as it is, on those high 90's to 100 days I am pretty certain the ridge cap they installed when I put on the architectural shingles makes it a little less air tight.

As a guy who's lived in a very warm climate and summer heat waves, 68 does seem like a reasonable temp. to me. But of course, I've always liked heat, lol I have the soul of a reptile in my mammal body.

I have relatives in Utah who've always used swamp coolers instead of AC in summer heat, it's ubiquitous in UT. But I admit I'm not really familiar with the exact differences between the two. I know they aren't exactly the same.

As a guy who's lived in a very warm climate and summer heat waves, 68 does seem like a reasonable temp. to me. But of course, I've always liked heat, lol I have the soul of a reptile in my mammal body.

LOL. 70 is fine for me, but I would like to be able to crank it to Arctic for a few minutes when I first come in from work. It has been in the 90's since Saturday and it is set on 71 right now. I would prefer it a little cooler but we have one bedroom that becomes a meatlocker if you go below 70 because it is the first one on the duct work.

I have relatives in Utah who've always used swamp coolers instead of AC in summer heat, it's ubiquitous in UT. But I admit I'm not familiar with the exact differences between the two. I know they aren't exactly the same.

They have them in Wyoming, Arizona, NM that I seen so far, they are big compared to a A/C

Speaking of freezing cold AC, I remember back in the '80s my dad used to drive this late-70s Mercedes diesel that had the most brutal air conditioning I've ever seen in a car (or anywhere else). When we put a thermometer in front of this Mercedes' frosty AC vents, the air temperature coming out of it was less than 32 degrees. For a car, it was obviously AC major overkill but probably perfect for driving a long road trip through the American desert southwest.

60800754_10212529322421198_3113733890963931136_n.jpg

Lol
22 May... western South Dakota

LMAO! Still got your stained, sweaty, crusty panietz all in a Figure 8 Knot over Al Gore. Just like the rest of the Orange Tribe posting here on USMB. Hey, if you don't like the Figure 8, try one of these you fucking knobheads.

Oh, at first I thought you were talking about San Diego. :10: I'm about 45 minutes from San Diego, and it was rainy and cool earlier today. But when I read this I was thinking... wait, did it snow in San Diego today? :D
So you can still "smell" San Diego from where you are. Maybe not! Rainy cool weather helps keep the stench from drifting. Tomorrow is another day though! Hope you live up wind!

60800754_10212529322421198_3113733890963931136_n.jpg

Lol
22 May... western South Dakota

That's actually a beautiful photo but yikes! That's obviously too far in the cold extreme for my taste. I'm certainly not adapted to snow, nor have I been around it in decades. I'm kind of like a reptile; I do need a certain amount of heat to thrive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back