Air Force Fires Nine Officers Over Cheating Scandal

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Whether it's cheating on nuclear missile tests or the VA scandal, cooking the books to get ahead seems to be a systemic problem for the military.

When the VA's funding got cut but the mission not only didn't get cut, the mission expanded - instead of screaming bloody murder to congress and the press, the hospital commanders chose to make themselves look good by cooking the books - when nuclear missile commanders wanted their records to look better than the people they were competing with for a limited number of promotions, the missile commanders chose to look the other way or-----or allow their officers to cheat to attain their zero defect goal.

Air Force Fires Nine Officers Over Cheating Scandal - Business Insider

Mar. 27, 2014

<snip>

A top general overseeing nuclear forces said the cheating stemmed in part from a stifling atmosphere created by commanders who over-emphasized perfect test scores for the missile launch officers.

<snip>

Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel has expressed deep disappointment over the cheating and voiced a wider concern over unethical conduct across the armed forces, after a spate of embarrassing scandals.

<snip>

Cooking numbers on IRS, immigration, jobs, the economy, benefits, SS, disability, wages, WMD...anything to make you look good...or keep your job.

There are aspects of managing, operating nuclear weapons systems that demand perfection. Some tests require a 100% score. Not that hard...but it is what it is. Know your job, do your job and stop whining.

Tell me where it's not a problem. It's all part of slouching toward Gomorrah.

The book [ Slouching to Gamorrah]received a critical response by The Mises Review, which stated that "Bork's failure to set forward his arguments rigorously leads to a crucial error in his approach to constitutional interpretation" and that the "omni-competent state is, for Bork, not a monster to be dispatched but a tool to be used. Whether the state is likely to enforce the values he favors is a question he leaves un-examined."[2]

The theory that political liberalism leads to incompetence is a rather tenuous one.

Not even the sociopathes at the Mises Institute buy into that foolish Borkian notion.

Who said it was liberalism's problem? It's humanity's problem. Not incompetence per se...but cheating to get by/ get ahead/get something.

There are aspects of managing, operating nuclear weapons systems that demand perfection. Some tests require a 100% score. Not that hard...but it is what it is. Know your job, do your job and stop whining.

Are you trying to justify cheating in the military?

Getting 100% on a test by cheating then-----then loosing incompetent cheaters to work on nuclear missiles doesn't sound very smart to me - whatever happened to the "A" students that used to work in our missile command?

Back in the day - when you were appropriating pencils and aviator glasses, commanders had to ensure all funds were spent by the end of the fiscal year but-----but in today's political environment of tax cutting, corners get cut, corners like proper training for nuclear missile crews and proper treatment at the VA for our veterans.

Make yourself clear - are you saying the missile commanders were showing character and being ethical by either encouraging cheating or-----or at the very least ignoring the cheating that was going on in their command(s)? and-----and how do you make a case for the small budgets appropriated by congress and-----and giving our veterans the great healthcare they deserve?

What I said is that in certain aspects of USAF duty, 100% is the standard. It puts pressure on those performing the duty, but just shut up and do it. Your conspiracy theory about limited number of promotions etc is BS.

Quote: Originally Posted by deltex1
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Are you trying to justify cheating in the military?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How did you get there from there?

What I said is that in certain aspects of USAF duty, 100% is the standard. It puts pressure on those performing the duty, but just shut up and do it. Your conspiracy theory about limited number of promotions etc is BS.

Yeah right!

Cheating to get zero defects or-----or as you call it - "require 100% score" will come back to bite you in the real world. At the same base where the cheaters cheated have now failed in a simulated assault on the base. Incompetent and/or cheater commanders would have inadvertently -because of their cheating- been taken over in a real world attack and-----and we can see the results of incompetent and cheating behavior at the VA.

As far as I know this kind of cheating didn't take place back in your day, not in the missile command and not in the VA, it seemed to me, the high IQ types were working on our nuclear missiles and-----and in the VA - I think our military has a systemic problem -- like I asked before, what happened to the "A" students?

Air Force Nuclear Security Failed Test At Malmstrom Air Force Base In Montana: Report

ROBERT BURNS 05/22/2014

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Air Force security team's botched response to a simulated assault on a nuclear missile silo has prompted a blistering review followed by expanded training to deal with the nightmare scenario of a real attack.

The Air Force recognized the possibility of such an intrusion as more worrisome after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. But an internal review of the exercise held last summer at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana said the security forces were unable to speedily regain control of the captured silo, and called this a "critical deficiency."
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The previously unreported misstep was the reason the 341st Missile Wing flunked a broader safety and security inspection. The unit, which has been beset with other problems in recent months, including an exam-cheating scandal that led its commander to resign in March, passed a do-over of the security portion of the inspection last October.

<snip>

Forum List

Back