Agreeing with the Other Side

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Coloradomtnman, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    So, USMB, since its inception, has seen a lotta Bush-bashing and Obama-Bashing, lots of GOP-bashing and Democrat-bashing, conservative and liberal bashing, Christian and non-Christian bashing.

But, what has the other side done that you support?

For liberals, what did Bush, the GOP, the Tea Party, or conservatives do that you agree with?

For conservatives, the same but with Obama, Democrats, the Green Party, or liberals?

For Christians, what do you feel is good about atheism, agnosticism, Islam, etc.

For non-Christians, what do you feel is good about Christianity?

Here are some examples that I have found that I feel fit this subject from my perspective as relating to former President Bush:

The above are from Wikipedia.

There are a lot of things I think are great about Christian philosophy as put forth in the Bible:

"Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns. Pay him his wages each day before sunset, because he is poor and is counting on it. Otherwise he may cry to the LORD against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

"Do not deprive the alien or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you from there. That is why I command you to do this.

"When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this. " Deuteronomy 24 v 14-22

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12 v 17-21

“When a foreigner lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The foreigner living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:33-34

You shall love your neighbour as yourself. Matthew 22:39

There are many more, but this is a discussion and not a monologue, so, contribute and discuss!

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I thought Bush did a stellar job of reassuring the nation immediately after 9/11.

I love and admire many a christian, who doubtless are lovable in part because they strive to adhere to their faith.

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,922
    Among many other things, I admire Bush's reflexes at dodging flying shoes. (Seriously!)

I think that Bush did a very good job in the initial aftermath of Sept. 11th, reassuring the country and (I wish this had worked) NOT blaming Islam.

I think that Bush had lofty dreams about travelling to Mars (which I wish Obama shared).

I'm an agnostic, but some of the best, kindest, and most wonderful people I've ever met in my life were devout Christians.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I think Obama is trying to do a good job ala Education that is in semi-covert sppt. for changes to teacher accountability and standards. I say semi-covertly because hes got to hold on to the NEA AFT sppt for campaign for the party etc. Its politics, I don't blame him for playing the game, so hes probably doing as much as the game will let him as to critique and sppting Duncan his Education cab. boss as to their new ed. funding prgm. 'Race to the Top'.

I wish he would come in with both feet as to charter school and voucher funding, but I know thats not going to happen, but hes gone farther than I thought he would,so I give him credit for that.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    What do you think about the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, Obama's first act as POTUS?

Or eliminating pre-existing conditions when it comes to health care coverage?

6. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I think Bush did an admirable job differentiating terrorists from Muslims, rhetorically if not at all in practice, and we could use that from major figures on the right now.

I think until or unless the second amendment is clarified or amended through the legal process outlined in the Constitution, citizens should be able to own and carry guns because you can't pick and choose what you follow in the Constitution.

I think Christianity has a lot of wonderful ideology and calls to help each other. I agree with everything Jesus said in The Sermon on The Mount and in his preachings about helping the poor and downtrodden and generally having a charitable spirit toward your fellow man while excoriating selfishness and the massive accumulation of personal wealth.

I agree with a lot of small-government conservatives and libertarians when it comes to surveillance, drug laws, and excessive intrusions on individual privacy in terms of domestic policy and on offensive foreign wars, invasions, occupations, bombings, and meddling of other countries and general imperialism in terms of foreign policy matters.

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Obama is doing an excellent job of reminding everybody why you should never, ever vote for a liberal Democrat.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,313
    Bush did a great job of handling the nations grief after 9-11

He also saved millions of lives in Africa which he received no credit for

He also threw the best Presidential first pitch I have ever seen (Obama throws like a girl)

9. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    You are referring to Ledbetter? No, I disagree.

Pre-existing? I commend the thought, but there were better ways of doing it and it came in the package that I don't agree with.

10. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I'm sorry, Colorado. If Obama had done anything whatsoever that I could agree with or approve of, I would be the first person to say so, but he really, really hasn't so far. Bill Clinton did a couple of times, but Obama just hasn't.

As for the Democrat Party, nope. While there are certainly many rank-and-file, everyday Democrats that I like very much in my life, as an official group - based on their official platform positions and their national officeholders - I honestly think they're either venal or nuts. On the other hand, I consider the Republican Party, as represented by their national officeholders, to not have a complete pair of testicles among the whole group, so . . .

Liberals tend to be the same for me as Democrats. There are many rank-and-file, everyday liberals that I like very much, and some I even admire and respect (although obviously, I still think they're wrongheaded on certain matters). As an entire group, though, I can't think of anything they do or represent that I can agree with or respect.

Atheists . . . well, most atheists I don't mind. If you simply disbelieve and go on about your business, then I can admire and respect your "live and let live" attitude and respect for the rights of others to believe as they will. Evangelical atheists . . . not a group of people I can even stand to be near, let alone like or respect.

Probably the best I can give you at this point is that I DO understand the underlying desires that drive most people who adhere to the left side of the political spectrum, and I can even respect it, a little.