Agree or not: The rich benefit the most from tax money?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr Gregg, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    They make the most money, have the biggest share in the wealth, and pay the most taxes. But don't they also benefit the most from what the tax money goes towards?

They benefit from an educated and skilled workforce that help their companies flourish. THey benefit from roads and strong infrastructure to move their product and assist in their business, which allowed them to . THey benefit from the US military and police force to protect their assets and provide a relatively safe and stable country to have their business flourish. THey may even have benefitted from student loan programs getting them their education in the first place. Many benefit from new scientific discoveries funded by government research grants which helped them discover an innovative new technology based on those discoveries. They benefit from legislation and justice system that protects their innovative products from patent infringement. I'm sure there are plenty more.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    When did any of them ask for all that "benevolent patronage" of Big Daddy Big Gubmint?

3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,998
    But everyone benefits from this. They have the same access to a road I do, but they drive in a better car (or are driven.) If they take mass transit they pay the same as I do and sit in the same seat. Army tanks and Air force planes protect thier bigger house just as they protect my apartment. The research done benefits my job and thiers, or thier stocks.

The one area of inequality may be legal/police. But that is more a local issue than a federal and another debate.

The question becomes why should they pay more for the same or less benefits? They do not use all of the programs designed for the middle class and poor americans. Yet they pay more on a raw dollar amount simply because they have more.

Again, I am not against a progressive income tax entirely, but at what point is "just a bit more of thier fair share" too much?

4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    Constantly.

Who do you think pays lobbyists? Poor people?

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Nice non sequitur. :lol:

6. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Seems to me that the 47% that doesn't pay any Federal Income tax would benefit the most.

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    It matched yours pretty well.

8. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Yeah, living in poverty is wonderful. The rich got their riches thanks in part to our government, infrastructure, and stability, which is what my point was.

And the rich are hardly suffering from their higher % of taxes being paid. I don't understand why so many complain about the rich paying so much in taxes when I assume most of the people making those complaints aren't rich themselves.

9. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    And this has what to do with the OP and what I was asking?

10. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Everyone benefits from infrastructure, schools, roads, etc pretty much the same... all have equal access to anything public... anyone can start a business, benefit from research in that business, is free to get a job and travel on the roads, etc

Those putting in nothing and drawing away from the contributors thru government taxation and redistribution are the ones that benefit the most... pay noting, get monies and entitlements back... not this benefiting more

And BTW.. get the govt out of the student loan business.. it has no business being your private lender