...aggressive, mean, stupid, and tasty cannibals.

this is what I am going to do... stuffed avocado ...with the crab meat I bought today ...ohhhhhhhhhhh:D ohhhhhhhh

(ok...I'm hungry)

Crawfish...meh.

I've lived in Baton Rouge. Never had really good mudbugs until moving to Colorado.

They need to be very carefully undercooked: seek some expert advice, but overcooking them (which seems to be the curse of practically everyone outside Colorado), makes the meat stick to the shell, and "pinching tail" becomes an act of futility.

Also, don't forget to "purge" them.

A great alternative to Crawfish Étouffée is Shrimp Étouffée: exactly the same, without any hassle.

I've heard about the meat sticking to the shell in those videos, but they said that the issue is not letting those mudbugs wait too long in the water. You want to marinate them for around 15-20 minutes, but any longer and it'll be tough shelling the little buggers.

I do eat crawfish, I eat all sort of seafood and I like it.

Red meat ...that is ....4 legged animals I do not eat.

Truth be told, this turkey has never tried a crawfish. Hopefully that will change this week. :eusa_pray:

I like steaks, but I rarely eat red meat. Grilled venison is gamey but oh-so-good with sweet and sassy BBQ barbecue sauce.

Maybe you can sell a shitload to restaurants?

Maybe. Hm... :D

When I was camping up at the BWCA years ago, we would see those things by the hundreds right by the shore of the lakes. Since the lakes up there are nice and clear, it was quite interesting, especially at night-you shine a flashlight on them and see their little eyes looking at you. Of course, as clean as the water is, you could never drink it, or risk getting sick. But it's the perfect environment for them. Black flies breed in that water and they feed on the larvae.

Now that is neat. Frankly... I'd be a bit scared of getting mauled by hungry crawfisks should I bed down near the river. Their snippy little claws could carefully snip through my tent. :eek:

You can kill 2 birds with one stone. We used to fish and at the same time put a cage down with some meat in it. We always came away with 10 or more of the little lobsters.

I thought of that, and really wanted to do that, but for some reason WI has an actual rule against being in possession of a crawdad and angling at the same time. Personally I don't understand why they have it that way.

WTF? That's a dumb law. What on earth is it doing?

Exactly. I don't get it. God forbid I hook a feisty crawdad and catch a largemouth bass.

...... They're a problem, and some lake management people are even asking for volunteers to go out and trap them.....:D

Why are they "a problem?"

Do they play loud music with obnoxious lyrics and speed around the lakes creating huge wakes?

If "Lake Management People" really want to do us all a favor, then they'd begin letting us trap and boil a few of these assholes.

I've read that crayfish are very invasive and aggressive, eating up all the natural plants and such. Sort of like Asian carp.

Well, today I got my fishing license renewed, and bought a case of chicken livers. Went out to the Fox River, in a secluded, shady area with some branches shading the way, and got busy. I put my trap together, spooned in 5 chicken livers, attached the nylon rope, threw it into the deeper part of the area, and tied it to a stump. Attached my personal info as well in accordance with WI laws. That was four hours ago.

It's exciting. There could be 50 of those little guys in there, nom-nomming the hell out of those livers, unware that they too will have their turn. Mwa ha ha... :badgrin:

I've read that crayfish are very invasive and aggressive, eating up all the natural plants and such. Sort of like Asian carp.

It's exciting. There could be 50 of those little guys in there, nom-nomming the hell out of those livers, unware that they too will have their turn. Mwa ha ha... :badgrin:

:(

All these poor animals want to do is eat grass.

Why use liver to bait? Sounds like a nice spinach and mushroom salad would have worked just fine?

Why use liver to bait? Sounds like a nice spinach and mushroom salad would have worked just fine?

Those crawfish like meat. Blood. Guts. Be thankful they're easy to stomp. If these things got big, it'd be us on the menu. :eek:

Crayfish will eat practically anything, and they're very hardy. But they love the red meat, and they can sense blood in the water with their antennae. Liver makes good bait because it holds so much blood, and it's stinky, which is literally a plus when trapping crayfish. They're also cannibals, and not above eating each other and their little ones. If these things ever got smart and big, I could see them conquering the world.

Those crawfish like meat. Blood. Guts. Be thankful they're easy to stomp. If these things got big, it'd be us on the menu. :eek:

Crayfish will eat practically anything, and they're very hardy. But they love the red meat, and they can sense blood in the water with their antennae. Liver makes good bait because it holds so much blood, and it's stinky, which is literally a plus when trapping crayfish. They're also cannibals, and not above eating each other and their little ones. If these things ever got smart and big, I could see them conquering the world.

Planet of the Mud Bugs?

IMG_0323%5B1%5D.JPG

Mmm, I want to boil them with lemon halves, red potatoes, pieces of corn cob, heavy Cajun spices, and onions and garlic bunches.

Add in a nice garlic-butter sauce, too.

img_1793.jpg

Oh, is that kielbasa and artichoke in there? Goodness!

...... They're a problem, and some lake management people are even asking for volunteers to go out and trap them.....:D

Why are they "a problem?"

Do they play loud music with obnoxious lyrics and speed around the lakes creating huge wakes?

If "Lake Management People" really want to do us all a favor, then they'd begin letting us trap and boil a few of these assholes.

Naaaaah, they toss their crap in the yard, vandalize the neighborhood and scoot about stirring up the countryside!

Naaaaah, they toss their crap in the yard, vandalize the neighborhood and scoot about stirring up the countryside!

And I've seen it with my own two eyes. The bigger alpha crawfish lead hunting packs to stalk wild cats. All I know is that there's an awful lot of skittering and meowling going on at 3 o'clock in the morning. :eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back