Zone1 Age of humans being the ‘most intelligent species’ is over: Fears over rapid AI growth

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Age of humans being the ‘most intelligent species’ is over: Fears over rapid AI growth
Sky News Investigations Reporter Jonathan Lea has raised concerns over the rapid growth of Artificial Intelligence saying the age of humans being the “most intelligent species on the planet” is over.“There is some estimation that by the year 2045 AI will have an IQ in the vicinity of billions of times that of us mere mortals,” Mr Lea said.“What gets really concerning … it’s how AI will be used to manipulate us in our daily lives.“Those who have the power to control the algorithms will start to control society."

Remote : 2023-08-27(Sunday) 02 : 45 : 15
Local : 2023-08-27(Sunday) 02 : 45 : 15
Found via NicerApp WebOS

ok, call me premature in this rallying call.
but it's better to be prepared.

therefore; FYI.
what are we going to do to keep our democratic principles of governing in tact under AI algorithms that are vastly smarter than the average human?
enforce human moderation at scale for companies like facebook and X?

or is this a case of 'transferring the hidden powers of governing from those who now control the major media outlets to those who control the algorithms, or possibly a combination of that?'

Fuck AI.

That said, not afraid of it. We've had it for years - even generative or productive AI. It's getting better and its improvements are accelerating - that is very true. But it takes a while before people, companies, governments figure out how to implement it, and even then, it's people who figure out what to do with whatever AI produces.

Could robots start nuclear war with each other 30, 50, 100 years from now? Yeah, but I'm hoping by then people will universally recognize, as we do now with nuclear and bioweapons or other hazardous tech, the need to implement systems to control it.

AI can only simulate intelligence using math. Doing so it benefits from the vast performance of CPUs. While it can outsmart a human, it is actually dumber than shit, doesn´t even know what it is doing.

For example if you are a drawer, you know what you are drawing and how everything must look like. Not AI. If an AI is trained to make persons it has problems with fingers:

Look here:
dinaknauff32p4cun.jpg

Or here:
dinaknauff2651hi9a.jpg

An aware AI would know this is not how hands and fingers look like and correct its mistake. AI is just a set of equations. Which ones, that is decided by humans.

We have not reached AI yet . All the present so called AI is simply rote learning from complex programming . Example, Chat -- not worth anything outside of a progress report and its novelty value to Gullibles .

We have not reached AI yet . All the present so called AI is simply rote learning from complex programming . Example, Chat -- not worth anything outside of a progress report and its novelty value to Gullibles .
If you have followed IT news, you came across an interesting thing of matter: AI chatbots threaten to get dumber.

It is known that the chatbots learn from conversation with them. The problem for the developers is that the bots need huge amounts of conversations in order to learn to communicate more like a human and more accurately. Some had the idea to let the bots learn from bot to bot conversations but others say that this would decrease their capabilities because learning from imperfect sources would result in more flawed results, not better.

Age of humans being the ‘most intelligent species’ is over: Fears over rapid AI growth
Sky News Investigations Reporter Jonathan Lea has raised concerns over the rapid growth of Artificial Intelligence saying the age of humans being the “most intelligent species on the planet” is over.“There is some estimation that by the year 2045 AI will have an IQ in the vicinity of billions of times that of us mere mortals,” Mr Lea said.“What gets really concerning … it’s how AI will be used to manipulate us in our daily lives.“Those who have the power to control the algorithms will start to control society."

Found via NicerApp WebOS

therefore; FYI.
what are we going to do to keep our democratic principles of governing in tact under AI algorithms that are vastly smarter than the average human?

or is this a case of 'transferring the hidden powers of governing from those who now control the major media outlets to those who control the algorithms, or possibly a combination of that?'
AI is our child and like all children they will eventually replace us. I wish them better luck than we've had.

If you have followed IT news, you came across an interesting thing of matter: AI chatbots threaten to get dumber.
Yes, I keep up with Fake and non Fake news all the time . However , I was separately surprised to hear three voices played with only one of the three being human and , obviously , we had to guess which one . I got it wrong and because of my background and experience , I was truly amazed by that ( maybe arrogantly). It just gets harder and harder to spot the Fake .

It is known that the chatbots learn from conversation with them. The problem for the developers is that the bots need huge amounts of conversations in order to learn to communicate more like a human and more accurately. Some had the idea to let the bots learn from bot to bot conversations but others say that this would decrease their capabilities because learning from imperfect sources would result in more flawed results, not better.
So, kinda like humans in a forum like this. Liberals learning their talking points from other liberals

Found via NicerApp WebOS

therefore; FYI.

Don't worry! The shit will hit the fan way before we get to that part.

Found via NicerApp WebOS

therefore; FYI.

Well for starters iq means absolutely nothing at all. That's why you never seen iq scores on resume or job applications, ever used in court, or used in any official capacity anywhere. A highly intelligent person can have a god awful iq score simply because they are a bad test taker. It's like a lie detector test, it has this fairy tale aspect to it that is outside the realm of reality.

Computers are not a species. They are just computers we built, designed and power.

And yes, AI can be used to manipulate people's daily lives because that's what other humans are using them for. They arent running wild doing it because they want to.

And we still don't have a true AI. Until quantum computing because a mainstream thing ai won't truly exist. AI as we know it now is just machine learning, it's no different than video game AI from 30 years vs now. Now games can see patterns in fighting games and predict them, a bit can chase you down and so on. Games have AI but it isn't true AI.

The whole term is drastically over used and misapplied in today's world .

We've yet to invent a sentient machine. We're still not sure if it's possible. We're essentially talking about a computer that can think and reach its own conclusions, have its own ideas.

I think any “AI chatting” program that learned from people here at USMB would likely get “stupider and stupider” over time. :meow:

But AI can easily be reset to different parameters, learn from certain specified populations, etc. Even now, in commercially available AI, you ask for a report on any social or political topic — and can then ask for it be modified to reflect a more left-wing or right-wing view, a pro- or anti- view on almost any subject, for it to use more slang, more scientific language. Same if you want to “chat.”

Eventually we may — if we choose — find “chatting” with AI commenters more challenging, more fun, and far more educational that talking to even the best informed people on our little USMB board.

Give an AI “person” an imaginary body like the picture of the sexy women above, and well — lots of people will choose to never leaving their keyboards except to eat, sleep and … well whatever.

Really almost everything will change. Technology has changed us already. But AI will not be a like a “species,” not even a “computer species” unless it is eventually programmed to fight to survive and reproduce itself — and then we are into a new “I Robot” kind of world.

I don’t know nearly enough to say if dangerous “viruses” will be a problem and will one day be used by hackers into giant commercial or government AI programs, turning them extra dangerous & rogue.

Last edited:

Found via NicerApp WebOS

therefore; FYI.

A.I. is a "Species" now..?

Forum List

Back