African Americans aren’t thrilled with Obama’s Ferguson response

Figaro

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2014
African Americans aren 8217 t thrilled with Obama 8217 s Ferguson response - The Washington Post
President Obama has pointedly refused to weigh in on what happened in Ferguson, Mo., aiming not to inflame an already delicate situation.
That approach, though, is not earning him his usual strong marks from his most loyal base of support: fellow African Americans

The events in Ferguson point to a deep divide in our society and the justified fear that keeps it in place. Minority groups feel targeted, and rightly so. Police feel unfairly targeted, and rightly so. The targeted minorities and their allies react naturally -- they want to lash out -- at the police, the prosecutors and the system that treats them so poorly. Then the police, and those who they protect, want take the protesters to task for treating these heroes with such contempt. And they are especially disdainful of lawless rioters, who undermine the very system that keeps "us" safe. In turn, the minorities and their allies shake their heads in disgust at a system that keeps some people much safer than others.
The system may be rigged and this might be a classic example. Or not. These events are deeply important. A lot of ambiguity but what should we do to regulate system?

I'm not sure it is a beneficial thing when someone purports to express what "African Americans think..."

Call me silly, but I would prefer to believe that African Americans are sophisticated enough to individually analyze what they know of these complex situations, and decide for themselves what they think. And there MIGHT EVEN BE differences of opinion!

Our Beloved President is not "African American," in the sense that the expression is commonly used in this country. He is not the descendant of slaves, never lived in a ghetto (other than by his own choosing), has no boyhood memories of playing basketball at the neighborhood playground, never spoke with a Black patois (other than for political reasons), and the only discrimination he ever experienced was discrimination in his favor.

Is it any wonder that he does not always act like a "Black man"?

Forum List

Back