AFGHANISTAN: Protests begin

“Let us learn our lessons. Never, never, never believe any War will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter.

The Statesman who yields to War Fever must realize that – once the signal is given – he is no longer the Master Of Policy but the Slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events. Antiquated War offices, weak, incompetent, or arrogant commanders, untrustworthy allies, hostile neutrals, malignant fortune, ugly surprises, awful miscalculations – ALL take their seats at the council board on the morrow of a declaration of War.

Always remember, however sure you are that you can easily win, that there would not BE a War, if the other man did not think HE also had a chance.” – Winston Churchill

george%20bush%20looking%20stupid.jpg

One Trident.

14 nuclear-powered SSBNs (fleet ballistic missile submarines (FBM)), each armed with up to 24 Trident II SLBMs; they are also known as "Trident" submarines, and provide the sea-based leg of the nuclear triad of the U.S. strategic nuclear weapons arsenal. Each of the 24 SLBMs are equipped with 11 Multiple Independnt Targeted Vehicles (MIRVs) with a total yield for each boat of 998 Hiroshimas.

The 14 Trident II SSBNs together carry approximately fifty percent of the total American active inventory of strategic thermonuclear warheads.

They are built in Groton, CT. They are products of Electric Boat. A sub of Genereal Dynamics.

They are the largest submarines ever built. They operate for 15 years between overall. They are silent--more slient than a Dolphin.

Each can deliver up to 66 Navy SEALs, also.

The SSBN Montana (my home state) would suffice.

Stand down.
Launch on Warning.
12 minutes.

Robert
Stand down.
Launch on Warning.
12 minutes.
No 12 minutes before 9/11, however.

Although the killings will have repercussions, religious slights or insults carry a lot more weight than this incident in that region of the world.
We shall SEE, US troops will FEEL any reprisals however.

And we already have lost 1,796 U.S. troops and more than 15,000 wounded. And for what? The initial combat was necessary and remember it was the rebels that basically overthrew the Taliban with US air support and Special Forces. Our mistake was to change the mission from overthrowing the Taliban to nation building. If we had gotten out after 6 months many more American men and women would be with their families today, the country would be billions of dollars less in debt, and we would be no less safer from terrorism.

When you lie it is offensive. and "is this getting throughyet I don't think so " is offensive and condescending. hence my reply..you deserved it.

Again, my apologies. There was no intent and certainly there was no direct insult to you. I am regretful that you felt insulted personally by my comments.

do you need a tissue?

No, I haven't been offended. I thought perhaps you were offended. Again, I can't apologize profusely enough. I have not intended to offend or to hurt you or your sensibilities.

I have to wonder if this was not a reprisal for our troops murdered during the koran burning tantrum. Will those murderers ever face justice?

That is a broad tactic, though I see Afghanistan as a grave for US troops after these killings. I've read a few that believe the radicals killed to GET the US out however.
Perfect for the current admin ... he will take credit from there as ending this war too.
Apart from "credit", do we cut & run? (I see this as lose/lose for Obama.)

Its unfortunate we lost lives there, but we should have left long ago especially if we are not just going to take care of business. Karzai is corrupt and we keep handing over billions doesnt make sense. The poppie fields are still growing and funding the Taliban so ...

Even though this frickin idiot acted alone, it will still be regarded as an act by America by many. We need to get out of Afghanistan. We've outlasted our welcome there. Our intentions were noble at first, when the Taliban was systematically pissing on it's own people as well as harboring and training new terrorists but I think we've done as much as we can do in Afghanistan at this point.
Noble cause, derailed.

I hope I am attributing this quote correctly. Please let me know if I have not.

The "acted alone" angle will be a hard sell. Our reasoning for being in Afghanistan was "training camps" as recently pointed out. So this soldier, trained by us, armed with that weapon by us, delivered into that country by us, acted alone? I don't think that will fly among the Afghan people or many people at all in that part of the world. We have really decimated an entire country for the most remote complicity in a savage act and somehow we are to expect that the people who trained and armed this guy are of no account?

Playing a bit of Devil's advocate here... please, don't feel the need to insult this, just add any thoughts as to if and why you feel this can be successfully chalked up as "acted alone".

The poppie fields are still growing and funding the Taliban so ...

Forum List

Back