Afghani Scenery

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I posted a pic that I took in Afghan in '04 in another thread and thought I would share a few of my favorites from my pair of taxpayer funded vacations abroad.

This is the one I posted earlier. It is the front gate at Bagram AB.
1245283324_l.jpg

An Afghani traffic jam.
1246516759_l.jpg

Yeah, that'll piss ya off.
l_6915fdb5057389b593c2938f734f5097.jpg

The Afghani interstate system was fantastic!
l_e97a58e97322b34cc6ff1c9d76eb69e0.jpg

The only picture I have from my first tour. The fish weren't biting. So I had another idea. It was more fun to shoot them anyway.
1246512014_l.jpg

Good shots Crimson, what are the devices on each corner of the Humvee's roof? It looks like it could have used some Gumbo Mudder tires.

Love the pics. My D-O-L returns to Bagram tomorrow, after 2 weeks of R&R.

How did the Afghan civilians treat you?

Where there any cities that you were treated better/worse than others?

Civilians were great for the most part. The only places where we weren't treated like saviors were in certain villages near the Pakistani border, but I can't say I blame them. After all, we were kicking doors in and tossing houses. There were times we would enter villages and men would try to gives their daughters. :lol:

The only times that had problems with the Afghanis were when they were shooting. :eek:

We're wasting our time there.

The Pashtoons (all 40 million of them..most of them in Pakistan) are not going to be cowed.

Obama was nuts to add more troops there.

The only troops there ought to be doing nothing but tracking down Alqada.

And I'm no longer sure even that makes sense, to be honest.

We're wasting our time there.

The Pashtoons (all 40 million of them..most of them in Pakistan) are not going to be cowed.

Obama was nuts to add more troops there.

The only troops there ought to be doing nothing but tracking down Alqada.

And I'm no longer sure even that makes sense, to be honest.

Spend some time there and you wouldn't have that attitude. I was there early on. As you can see these pics are form '02 and '04. At that time the Afghani population was largely behind us. We made great strides in moving the Taliban back and got the Afghani government going. We have lost ground because we lost alot of resources to the Iraqi theater. We stopped building schools and hospitals and therefore lost the hearts and minds of the Afghanis. The Taliban has since been able to wage a fairly effective propaganda war. More troops equals more resources dedicated to bettering the lives of teh people and winning the hearts and minds back. That is what we are fighting for in Afghanistan.

Hey, CW. Mud in winter or dust and unbearable heat in summer! What was your preference?:razz:

It's the modern architecture that amazes me.:razz:

afg3.jpg

afg5.jpg

Hey, CW. Mud in winter or dust and unbearable heat in summer! What was your preference?:razz:

It's the modern architecture that amazes me.:razz:

afg3.jpg

afg5.jpg

I'm from the Southern US so the heat, as bad as it was, was modeartely bearable for me. It was the temp differential from day to night that I had problems with. So if I had to make a choice, I'll take mud, cause getting Humvees stuck in the mud was some of the only fun we had over there. :razz:

i would like to see more pictures from both of you and anyone else who has been in the gulf war and all

None of my photos are digital. I came across these when I moved recently. It was actually enjoyable to look though them. Figured I'd post a few. When I get more scanned, I'll put more up.

Tres cool pics.

So...are the honeycomb pots for strawberries?????
Because that's what home depot sells to grow strawberry plants in. I can't imagine what else they would be for...

Forum List

Back