Afghan Taliban spokesman: We will win the war

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Nic Robertson
Senior International Correspondent

(CNN) -- He won't look me in the eye, won't engage in any small talk, and looks more ill at ease than I feel.
CNN's Nic Robertson, left, talks to Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid at an undisclosed location.

The man in front of me is Zabiullah Mujahid -- one of two spokesmen for the Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar.

He is around 30, maybe a little younger, bearded, but not heavily so. He is slight but not weak and close to my height -- a little over six foot -- and meeting him is a big deal.

I've never taken meetings with Taliban officials lightly, but the stakes are getting higher these days. They kidnap reporters and worse, and just before our interview they had announced a new offensive against U.S. and NATO troops.

Frankly just getting into this room had put my heart rate up a good few beats.

On top of that, Mujahid almost never gives TV interviews. He has answers to questions every journalist covering this conflict wants to know. He is also a wanted man.

I'd been waiting for him for about 15 minutes. We'd agreed to meet at this safe house on the condition I did not report its location. As we approached I'd seen several men talking on mobile phones on street corners watching us very closely. It's clear the Taliban don't trust us not to have sold him out.

The room is small with two doors: One to a tiny hole-in-the-ground toilet under the stairs the other, the only way in and out.

A red carpet runs wall to wall and matching pillows ring the room. The only furniture is a chair, a small table and a computer. Video Watch as CNN's Nic Robertson meets Taliban spokesman »

When we first arrive the man minding the room has a pistol by his side. We follow his lead and sit backs to the wall propped up on the cushions and wait.

I'm expecting to hear a convoy of cars pulling up, but nothing, silence. Then a whisper: He is coming. There is no time to wonder what's going to happen. He steps in alone, no sound of a car.

He is nervous and seems in a hurry, telling me I only have 15 minutes. It could take me that long to ask just half my questions, never mind his answers.

I want the interview to last. I want to get the most out of it. I want to put him at ease so he wants to stay and talk.

My first question is simple: What's your strategy?

He tells me the policy is clear. "We ask from the beginning and we say once again one to enforce the Sharia law and Islamic government in Afghanistan, and to remove foreign forces remove from our country."

He tells me presidential elections expected this year are a sham, that the Taliban are telling Afghans to stay away and he warns: "We will target the Afghan parliamentary members and government officials so if there is elections, yes it is clear we will target them."

He says they'll use suicide bombers in their attacks. I want to know how they justify tactics that kill so many civilians. I find his answer falls far short of even trying to explain let alone apologize for the carnage they cause. He says it is justified in Islam, it has its roots in history and Islam's Prophet Mohammed.

That's not what most Muslims I talk to say; they abhor such nihilistic thinking.

Afghan Taliban spokesman: We will win the war - CNN.com

I wonder when it was being a journalist made it okay to meet with a piece of crap criminal and tell his side of the story.

To Hell with right and wrong ... it's all about the byline.

I don't see what the problem is. If you ask me this reporter is showing a lot of guts and dedication by being willing to go this far.

I don't see what the problem is. If you ask me this reporter is showing a lot of guts and dedication by being willing to go this far.

So the journalist owes no allegiance to anything but getting the scoop? I don't agree with that, and that is what's wrong with journalism and the media today. They hold themselves beyond the law and beyond ethics, and they've sold others that is how it should be.

I don't care what this criminal has to say. The only headline I want to see that he got two in the head at close range.

So the journalist owes no allegiance to anything but getting the scoop? I don't agree with that, and that is what's wrong with journalism and the media today. They hold themselves beyond the law and beyond ethics, and they've sold others that is how it should be.

I don't care what this criminal has to say. The only headline I want to see that he got two in the head at close range.

It's not like this was some glowing piece about the Taliban or anything. This interview may not be your cup of tea but so what? I mean, sure, I'd like to read about the dude getting capped too but that just isn't the case here. No need to villify the guy for having the balls to go that deep in to get an interview like that.

It's not like this was some glowing piece about the Taliban or anything. This interview may not be your cup of tea but so what? I mean, sure, I'd like to read about the dude getting capped too but that just isn't the case here. No need to villify the guy for having the balls to go that deep in to get an interview like that.

I walked on a free ride through college in journalism because of its lack of ethics and denial of responsibility in reporting. So yeah, anytime I see this, it's an issue with me. Just part of the disillusionment with this country and some of its institutions.

so no matter what, if a reporter gets the scoop, thats a good thing???

I just don't see what the big deal is. It wasn't a positive piece and the guy risked his neck to get the interview. Attacking the reporter is shooting the messenger here.

By Nic Robertson
Senior International Correspondent

(CNN) -- He won't look me in the eye, won't engage in any small talk, and looks more ill at ease than I feel.
CNN's Nic Robertson, left, talks to Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid at an undisclosed location.

The man in front of me is Zabiullah Mujahid -- one of two spokesmen for the Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar.

He is around 30, maybe a little younger, bearded, but not heavily so. He is slight but not weak and close to my height -- a little over six foot -- and meeting him is a big deal.

I've never taken meetings with Taliban officials lightly, but the stakes are getting higher these days. They kidnap reporters and worse, and just before our interview they had announced a new offensive against U.S. and NATO troops.

Frankly just getting into this room had put my heart rate up a good few beats.

On top of that, Mujahid almost never gives TV interviews. He has answers to questions every journalist covering this conflict wants to know. He is also a wanted man.

I'd been waiting for him for about 15 minutes. We'd agreed to meet at this safe house on the condition I did not report its location. As we approached I'd seen several men talking on mobile phones on street corners watching us very closely. It's clear the Taliban don't trust us not to have sold him out.

The room is small with two doors: One to a tiny hole-in-the-ground toilet under the stairs the other, the only way in and out.

A red carpet runs wall to wall and matching pillows ring the room. The only furniture is a chair, a small table and a computer. Video Watch as CNN's Nic Robertson meets Taliban spokesman »

When we first arrive the man minding the room has a pistol by his side. We follow his lead and sit backs to the wall propped up on the cushions and wait.

I'm expecting to hear a convoy of cars pulling up, but nothing, silence. Then a whisper: He is coming. There is no time to wonder what's going to happen. He steps in alone, no sound of a car.

He is nervous and seems in a hurry, telling me I only have 15 minutes. It could take me that long to ask just half my questions, never mind his answers.

I want the interview to last. I want to get the most out of it. I want to put him at ease so he wants to stay and talk.

My first question is simple: What's your strategy?

He tells me the policy is clear. "We ask from the beginning and we say once again one to enforce the Sharia law and Islamic government in Afghanistan, and to remove foreign forces remove from our country."

He tells me presidential elections expected this year are a sham, that the Taliban are telling Afghans to stay away and he warns: "We will target the Afghan parliamentary members and government officials so if there is elections, yes it is clear we will target them."

He says they'll use suicide bombers in their attacks. I want to know how they justify tactics that kill so many civilians. I find his answer falls far short of even trying to explain let alone apologize for the carnage they cause. He says it is justified in Islam, it has its roots in history and Islam's Prophet Mohammed.

That's not what most Muslims I talk to say; they abhor such nihilistic thinking.

Afghan Taliban spokesman: We will win the war - CNN.com

I wonder when it was being a journalist made it okay to meet with a piece of crap criminal and tell his side of the story.

To Hell with right and wrong ... it's all about the byline.

I know what you mean, Gunny, but I don’t think we should worry about interviews being given to people like Zabiullah Mujahid. Fundamentalist zealots can never resist the opportunity to publicly air their warped beliefs and true objectives, and that does them more harm than good. In this interview, Mujahid gets his intent in right up front. In the very first sentences. He says:

"We ask from the beginning and we say once again to enforce the Sharia law and Islamic government in Afghanistan, and to remove foreign forces from our country."

OK. So now the reader knows the Taliban intent is to, once again, to take over Afghanistan and force the people to adopt THEIR extreme version of religion. The Afghans know what this means and they don’t want to go through it again.

He then tells how they will attempt to achieve their objective:

"We will target the Afghan parliamentary members and government officials so if there is elections, yes it is clear we will target them."

Any reader who didn’t know what the Taliban were about (and from my personal experience there are many) now starts to get a feeling for what nasty bastards they really are. Great. Job done. The rest of the article is sown for the sabre rattling puffery it is.

What I think we should be objecting to are journos who use interviews like this to nurture their own ego and ramp up their own image in the eyes of their audience. In his article, Robertson mentions the code of Pashtunwali, so he obviously knows what it means. Under this Pashtun tribal code of honour, having been granted an interview with a Taliban leader,Pashtunwali would apply. As a guest of these people, he would have been guaranteed absolute safety. He would have been safe on his journey to and from the rendezvous and he would have been safe throughout the interview. Pashtunwali even applies to their worst enemies! Yet Robertson finds it necessary to talk about, “if he pulls a gun” and “Adrenaline has kept me going, focused, sharp, alert to the dangers.” What dangers? Under Pashtunwali there are no fucking dangers!

The guy is a self-serving arsehole!

Would be a better thing if that reporter put two between this asshat's eyes.

Forum List

Back