Affirmative Action, yea or nay? (video)

pencilitin

Rookie
Nov 22, 2010
I argued against affirmative action with a friend of mine and he sent me a video saying I was like the guy in it. Actually I disagree with the view expressed here to the extent it suggests that affirmative action was never needed. I think there was a time for it, but it has passed. Anyway, see what you think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS_MDJSiEE"]Affirmative Action explained[/ame]

Affirmative action is an illegal law...period.
It is asinine to try and correct a problem by recreating the same circumstances that caused the problem on someone else.

P.S...the video is a hackjob. They could have done a far better job.

I'm very confused and it's not hard for me.Let's see if I have this right.The Good Rev.Jesse Jackson,Rev.Al
Sharpton go on and on about equality and how everyone should be treated equally and that's what we all should be striving for.

Then comes the firefighters test for promotion in Conn.If I remember correctly.The test gets thrown out
the grades get thrown out and all the White firefighters miss out on the promotion because not enough minorities who had the same access to study aides passed the test.

So which is it...equality only when it works in the minorities favor.

I'd say we keep it now. All the projections I've seen point to 2050 as the year where whites will become a minority in the US, at which point Affirmative Action will work in favor of the white people instead of against them as it has since its introduction.

Don't think I'll be here then, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall the first time an employer looks at a black woman and says "You're obviously superiorly qualified, but I've got to hire that white man out there, because he's white, and because the government requires me to fill my quota."

That is gonna be some funny shit!

AA is based on the idea that inverting a system of discrimination and inequality is somehow the way to end systematic discrimination and inequality.

It's like bloodletting and leeches as a cure for haemophilia.

affirmative action is a good idea but it has to be based on the individual, not a racial quota. I have no problem with a minority getting the edge in a tie, or even getting a small advantage that has been predetermined and publicized in advance. My problem with AA is that many schools or work places simply go as far into the applicant pool as it takes to get the required amount of minorities no matter what their credentials are.

AA is based on the idea that inverting a system of discrimination and inequality is somehow the way to end systematic discrimination and inequality.

It's like bloodletting and leeches as a cure for haemophilia.

Yet we have beliefs in society that government mandated discrimination is acceptable.

Affirmative Action is a prime example of government mandated discrimination. Hate-crimes legislation are another example of discrimination. The tax code is discriminatory, taxing the rich more then everyone else. Unions are discriminatory where only members are allowed to get a job. Somebody is always gonna get left out.

The Illegal Immigration debate seems to favor Hispanics over any other ethnic group.

The Don't Ask Don't Tell policy that was just repealed doesn't grant the same rights to transgendered service members.

The left doesn't hold the high ground on discrimination issues.

Affirmative action is typical of limo liberal thinking in action.

It demanded that white males who did NOT benefit from past racism pay the price of rectifying those past injustices.

It's done such a very fine job that now White boys are less likely to go to college than they were.

The real winners of affirmative action are the women of the upper middle class.

I am an AA baby boomer (didn't know that until a few yrs ago) and when Affirmative Action was first introduced I wasn't into it. I was thinking about what I was going to wear to the club on Friday night. I got hired at an agency that provides in-home services to the elderly and even then I did not know that the Affirmative Action program played a role in my hiring until my AA boss told me. I have never knowingly used that program to further my career or advance my status in the community. I always thought it was my own ability that got me that job. My question is though: Why was Affirmative Action needed anyway? If a person of color had the ability to do the job and could do it well, why would the government need to establish a program that would make sure they would have a fair chance at getting that job? Why wouldn't the person who does the hiring not hire a person of color knowing they had the skills for the job? I don't get it!

Forum List

Back