Advances in batteries/energy thread

China's experimental fusion reactor maintains superheated hydrogen plasma for 102 seconds

A bit of friendly competition never hurt anyone. China's EAST tokamak and Germany's Wendelstein 7-X aren't exactly fusion energy's answer to Messi and Ronaldo, but through their own flashes of individual brilliance the reactors might one day command the world's attention in a much more important way. Wendelstein 7-X made headlines last week after generating a quarter-of-a-second pulse of hydrogen plasma, and now scientists at China's Institute of Physical Science have flexed their fusion muscle to sustain the gas for an impressive 102 seconds.

Researchers Accidentally Make Batteries Last 400 Times Longer
Smartphones, tablets, and most other electronics rely on rechargeable batteries, but after a few thousand uses the batteries start to lose their ability to hold a charge. The batteries of today are mainly lithium, and over time that lithium corrodes inside the battery.

Instead of lithium, researchers at UC Irvine have used gold nanowires to store electricity, and have found that their system is able to far outlast traditional lithium battery construction. The Irvine team's system cycled through 200,000 recharges without significant corrosion or decline.
However, they don't exactly know why. The original idea of the experiment was to make a solid-state battery: one that uses an electrolyte gel, rather than liquid, to help hold charge. Liquid batteries, like the common lithium variety, are extremely combustible and sensitive to temperature. The Irvine team was experimenting by substituting a much thicker gel.
"We started to cycle the devices, and then realized that they weren't going to die," said Reginald Penner, a lead author of the paper. "We don't understand the mechanism of that yet."
Although you may have never cracked one open (we hope), most of the batteries in your gadgets contain liquid. Liquid is used in part because its conductivity allows flexible and partial charging and discharging. Finding highly conductive electrolyte gels has proven difficult.

Always amazing that the naysayers are so virulent. What is gained by propagandizing against solar?

How come with all your threads you got solar lumped here, it aint like you can install enough solar that you would have an excess to store in obamabatteries.
Obama batteries? How fucking dumb can you get, Elektra? It is Tesla batteries, as well as other manufactures. And, yes, a roof top installation of solar would charge those batteries to capacity. No matter how much people like you flap yap, the progress goes on. And the economic independence of a homeowner is starting to become a reality.

As the solar panels increase in efficiency, and continue to come down in price, more and more people will use them to eliminate their dependence on a utility. In fact, those utilities which forego the opportunity to see this as a new form of generation will eventually go the route the coal companies are now going.

How come with all your threads you got solar lumped here, it aint like you can install enough solar that you would have an excess to store in obamabatteries.
Obama batteries? How fucking dumb can you get, Elektra? It is Tesla batteries, as well as other manufactures. And, yes, a roof top installation of solar would charge those batteries to capacity. No matter how much people like you flap yap, the progress goes on. And the economic independence of a homeowner is starting to become a reality.

As the solar panels increase in efficiency, and continue to come down in price, more and more people will use them to eliminate their dependence on a utility. In fact, those utilities which forego the opportunity to see this as a new form of generation will eventually go the route the coal companies are now going.
Utilities that dont fall in libe will be eliminated? What is shocking is people are so stupid as to propose eliminating utilities leaving us praying for a sunny day in the dead of winter to warm our house, cook our food and pump the water we need to live.

Your last statements says it all, green energy will leave us at times in an extreme state of emergency. Praying for the sun to save our lives.

Old crock, you are really an idiot.

ObamaBatteries, research done in our public universities at our expense, at the expense of increasing research on a cure for cancer.
Realy? So it's not the 2T war on Iraq , the huge military spending or the actual corporate tax of 10% that are hindering the research on cancer... oh my!!
It is those nasty evil college researchers ...

:bsflag:

ObamaBatteries, research done in our public universities at our expense, at the expense of increasing research on a cure for cancer.
Realy? So it's not the 2T war on Iraq , the huge military spending or the actual corporate tax of 10% that are hindering the research on cancer... oh my!!

Yes, your post is bullshit. Instead of addressing the waste, instead of addressing the 2T given to Democrat's favorite people, you would rather change the argument to the War on Iraq or Corporate tax.

Fine, War on Iraq, we had already built the military, we already pay the military, we had already spent the money before the war began, building the bombs and jets, it is not like we built a military specifically for Iraq so your 2 trillion dollar figure is hardly representative of the true cost.

Corporate tax? Only 10%, bullshit, but so what, us hard working americans deserve every penny we earn, that is our labor, our private property, the USA already confiscates enough money, of every single American working for a corporation, on top of what the government confiscates to begin with. 14% of every dollar goes to Social Security, another 10% is paid to workmen compensation. That is 24% of every dollar, not to mention the 10% you claim ( which is more but no sense in arguing beings how you are wrong by 150%), which adds up to 34% tax on every dollar a corporation makes. Care to get into the government regulations, the lawyers mandated in order to comply with those regulations? How about state tax, you are speaking specifically of a Federal Tax. What about the Sign Tax? Building Permits? City Tax? What about mandatory insurance, another 10% of each dollar?

Now lets add up all that money wasted on Battery technology in the Universities. How much are we spending on battery technology? How much does it cost us in the hours our congressman spend passing bills and such authorizing the spending? How much do we pay the congressional aids that research the Battery bills? How much is given in grants to universities? How much is being given to Tesla in the form of tax breaks? How much is being spent by the Department of Energy to research and develop the lithium mining technology? Why are we duplicating research that Everyready and Duracell have been researching for years?

Yes, instead of curing cancer the democrats have given us ObamaBatteries.

And you think we can live without the military? Foolish you are.

Yes, your post is bullshit. Instead of addressing the waste, instead of addressing the 2T given to Democrat's favorite people, you would rather change the argument to the War on Iraq or Corporate tax.

Fine, War on Iraq, we had already built the military, we already pay the military, we had already spent the money before the war began, building the bombs and jets, it is not like we built a military specifically for Iraq so your 2 trillion dollar figure is hardly representative of the true cost.

Corporate tax? Only 10%, bullshit, but so what, us hard working americans deserve every penny we earn, that is our labor, our private property, the USA already confiscates enough money, of every single American working for a corporation, on top of what the government confiscates to begin with. 14% of every dollar goes to Social Security, another 10% is paid to workmen compensation. That is 24% of every dollar, not to mention the 10% you claim ( which is more but no sense in arguing beings how you are wrong by 150%), which adds up to 34% tax on every dollar a corporation makes. Care to get into the government regulations, the lawyers mandated in order to comply with those regulations? How about state tax, you are speaking specifically of a Federal Tax. What about the Sign Tax? Building Permits? City Tax? What about mandatory insurance, another 10% of each dollar?

Now lets add up all that money wasted on Battery technology in the Universities. How much are we spending on battery technology? How much does it cost us in the hours our congressman spend passing bills and such authorizing the spending? How much do we pay the congressional aids that research the Battery bills? How much is given in grants to universities? How much is being given to Tesla in the form of tax breaks? How much is being spent by the Department of Energy to research and develop the lithium mining technology? Why are we duplicating research that Everyready and Duracell have been researching for years?

Yes, instead of curing cancer the democrats have given us ObamaBatteries.

And you think we can live without the military? Foolish you are.
That still means there are loads and loads of money on one purpuse: kicking the living crap out of your fellow human beings.
The US has the biggest per capita expenditure in the world and until 2013 it was the single greatest expenditure by the US governement. Whatever has been spent on batteries is nothing but pennies by comparison.
Just 40 years ago corporations payed their fair share of taxes, now most of the tax contributions.
Finally, your tax figures would be correct IF 100% of the expenses were the payroll. They are not.

That still means there are loads and loads of money on one purpuse: kicking the living crap out of your fellow human beings.
The US has the biggest per capita expenditure in the world and until 2013 it was the single greatest expenditure by the US governement. Whatever has been spent on batteries is nothing but pennies by comparison.
Just 40 years ago corporations payed their fair share of taxes, now most of the tax contributions.
Finally, your tax figures would be correct IF 100% of the expenses were the payroll. They are not.
Corporations exist as a entity created by the Government, as defined in the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR's as they are known. Corporations were created by the Lawyers, who make up most of the politicians. The single biggest expense of a Corporation is money paid by the Dictates, Laws, Taxes, Rules, and Regulations of Government. Funny how the Government made Corporations and the biggest expense of a Corporation is the Government? How is that?

There is nothing spent on Batteries? Yet it is not simply spending money on Batteries, first we must brainwash the fools into believing we need Batteries, that propaganda costs billions of dollars over years, decades, and began under Bill Clinton, if not sooner. How much has the Global Warming Marketing cost the U.S. tax payer? How much has the Global Warming Research cost the U.S. tax payer. Your idea that we need a lousy ObamaBattery is one small part of a much larger Con job on the fools and dupes that are known as citizens.

Most of your reply really made no sense. It reads very poor, it kind of makes your idea look like it came from a person who really has never done any research into what you believe.

There is a lithium battery factory sitting idle in China right now, ready to start up production, once there is a demand, doubtful that the Tesla ObamaBattery with all its subsidies, grants, and free money can compete, but that don't matter, it is not a business model, it is the transfer of tax money, my money, my labor, my hard work, to a government chosen billionaire who has lost money on his Green/Renewable scams, ever since the first day he started tesla motors.

They aint even got the Lithium to supply the ObamaBattery factory, which if fully operational will require 100% of all Lithium in the World, I would go as far to say that that kind of demand will drive up the cost of Lithium in the commodities market, on the stock market, the Tesla factory is designed to make those who invest in Wall Street rich.

So you think you got a beef with Corporations, well, your support of ObamaBatteries is going to make Wall st. and a whole bunch of Corporations, rich!

Nice idea you got and the funny thing is, you don't even know enough to know your position on both, makes you a hypocrite.

Corporations exist as a entity created by the Government, as defined in the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR's as they are known. Corporations were created by the Lawyers, who make up most of the politicians. The single biggest expense of a Corporation is money paid by the Dictates, Laws, Taxes, Rules, and Regulations of Government. Funny how the Government made Corporations and the biggest expense of a Corporation is the Government? How is that?

There is nothing spent on Batteries? Yet it is not simply spending money on Batteries, first we must brainwash the fools into believing we need Batteries, that propaganda costs billions of dollars over years, decades, and began under Bill Clinton, if not sooner. How much has the Global Warming Marketing cost the U.S. tax payer? How much has the Global Warming Research cost the U.S. tax payer. Your idea that we need a lousy ObamaBattery is one small part of a much larger Con job on the fools and dupes that are known as citizens.

Most of your reply really made no sense. It reads very poor, it kind of makes your idea look like it came from a person who really has never done any research into what you believe.

There is a lithium battery factory sitting idle in China right now, ready to start up production, once there is a demand, doubtful that the Tesla ObamaBattery with all its subsidies, grants, and free money can compete, but that don't matter, it is not a business model, it is the transfer of tax money, my money, my labor, my hard work, to a government chosen billionaire who has lost money on his Green/Renewable scams, ever since the first day he started tesla motors.

They aint even got the Lithium to supply the ObamaBattery factory, which if fully operational will require 100% of all Lithium in the World, I would go as far to say that that kind of demand will drive up the cost of Lithium in the commodities market, on the stock market, the Tesla factory is designed to make those who invest in Wall Street rich.

So you think you got a beef with Corporations, well, your support of ObamaBatteries is going to make Wall st. and a whole bunch of Corporations, rich!

Nice idea you got and the funny thing is, you don't even know enough to know your position on both, makes you a hypocrite.

Well, if my reply made no sense, at least it was concise.
Your rant goes from corporations ( which by the by , predate the creation of the US ), then you go and talk about China, come back to the US and your taxes and subsides. And then assume I support subsidies ( which I don't) I said I supported research funding , not industrial subsidies .
And I am fine with corporations getting rich, as far as they pay their fair share of taxes.

Now dear, we both know you are a nucrear energy supporter, and that's why you seem to have a grudge with batteries and renewables.

Now put in context the total amount spent in R&D by the US $473 million vs the military spending $ 800,000 million.
It's the fracking 0.06% !!!
Do I think it is better to reduce military spending by 3% and have 5 times more spent in R&D?
Yes, hell yes!!

Your rant goes from corporations ( which by the by , predate the creation of the US ), then you go and talk about China, come back to the US and your taxes and subsides. And then assume I support subsidies ( which I don't) I said I supported research funding , not industrial subsidies .
And I am fine with corporations getting rich, as far as they pay their fair share of taxes.

Now dear, we both know you are a nucrear energy supporter, and that's why you seem to have a grudge with batteries and renewables.

Now put in context the total amount spent in R&D by the US $473 million vs the military spending $ 800,000 million.
Do I think it is better to reduce military spending by 3% and have 5 times more spent in R&D?
Yes, hell yes!!
Concise? You brought up corporations? And how will ObamaBatteries compete with the China/Panasonic Batteries?

Research Funding, that is part of the subsidy.

Now your last sentence is one big strawman, if I support Nuclear energy then I have a "grudge" against batteries? Well, at least everyone can see you will not discuss the little technical details or that lack of a market or need for ObamaBatteries, now we can see your only argument is, against individuals, ignoring a discussion about the ObamaBatteries.

Green Energy can not ever supply the energy we need at peak power, let alone the rest of the day, so what exactly do we need a battery for?

ObamaBatteries will be cheaper than Duracell's? How?

ObamaBatteries, researchers can invent something that somehow Duracell has missed in all its years of research and development?

And where will all the lithium come from, currently Eon Musk has plans to use all the lithium in the World, who profits from that? Eon Musk and the ObamaBattery is simply a way for Wall Street to make a fortune on Lithium.

All the Lithium in the World must be given to Eon Musk.

Al the Lithium in the World will be given to Eon Musk, that is a lot of buying and trading on Wall Street.

So you have a plug in vibrator?

So you have a plug in vibrator?

So mooning is now porn, you have such a dirty mind..
Moonglow, you have been chasing my skirt for some time, this time asking if I have a "plug in vibrator", what was that last sexual comment you made to me? Care to go back and revisit all the sexual comments you make? Everything is in context, the dirty mind is yours, I did not pick your avatar and include a post next to with a vibrator, you did.

So what is your game, it is simply to hard, intellectually to add content to the OP or you got something about me and sex or as you mentioned in one of your last posts, banishment from the boards?

Yes, hell yes!!
Concise? You brought up corporations? And how will ObamaBatteries compete with the China/Panasonic Batteries?

Research Funding, that is part of the subsidy.

Now your last sentence is one big strawman, if I support Nuclear energy then I have a "grudge" against batteries? Well, at least everyone can see you will not discuss the little technical details or that lack of a market or need for ObamaBatteries, now we can see your only argument is, against individuals, ignoring a discussion about the ObamaBatteries.

Green Energy can not ever supply the energy we need at peak power, let alone the rest of the day, so what exactly do we need a battery for?

ObamaBatteries will be cheaper than Duracell's? How?

ObamaBatteries, researchers can invent something that somehow Duracell has missed in all its years of research and development?

And where will all the lithium come from, currently Eon Musk has plans to use all the lithium in the World, who profits from that? Eon Musk and the ObamaBattery is simply a way for Wall Street to make a fortune on Lithium.

All the Lithium in the World must be given to Eon Musk.

Al the Lithium in the World will be given to Eon Musk, that is a lot of buying and trading on Wall Street.

Now your last sentence is one big strawman, if I support Nuclear energy then I have a "grudge" against batteries?
Indeed you have a grudge against renewables and batteries.

Electric cars. And no one is thinking in replacing all fosil fuels , just in keeping their usage frozen at 2012 levels.

Indeed:
Graphene batteries and supercapacitors to power our world

Al the Lithium in the World will be given to Eon Musk, that is a lot of buying and trading on Wall Street
Lithium is not the only option, but more research has to be done.

Now your last sentence is one big strawman, if I support Nuclear energy then I have a "grudge" against batteries?
Indeed you have a grudge against renewables and batteries.

Electric cars. And no one is thinking in replacing all fosil fuels , just in keeping their usage frozen at 2012 levels.

Indeed:
Graphene batteries and supercapacitors to power our world

Al the Lithium in the World will be given to Eon Musk, that is a lot of buying and trading on Wall Street
Lithium is not the only option, but more research has to be done.
Your ObamaBattery does not exist yet, so I at best can only have a grudge against the idea of it. As far as Renewables goes, sure I have a grudge against being forced to pay for something that does not work and uses a 10,000 times more coal and hydrocarbons than natural gas or nuclear power.

Electric Cars? 100% failure since the Tesla began business in which year? 2009? They must be refueled every night, which takes power, power that is made from what? Coal? Natural Gas? They also require a charge once you get to work, so instead of 10's of thousands of people using one filling station, each car owner requires a filling station, and that to you is progress? Where does that energy come from? A battery that does not exist? You believe Solar will charge the battery if it is ever invented and then that battery can keep a ObamaTesla electric powered?

Yes, invent something we do not need, batteries and supercapacitors? And charge them with Fossil or Nuclear power? While completely rebuilding our entire electrical grid? Ignoring all the coal and hydrocarbons, ignoring all the natural resources being used, to fail at replacing fossil fuels? To freeze the level we use fossil fuels.

Your idea fails to take into account that you must use fossil fuels to build that progressive utopia. The 50$ Trillion Dollar Scam, making the Banks, Wall st., and Corporations even richer. 50$ Trillion dollars spent building is a massive rise in CO2.

Yes, throw out the propaganda all you want, you have no substance behind it.

Your ObamaBattery does not exist yet, so I at best can only have a grudge against the idea of it. As far as Renewables goes, sure I have a grudge against being forced to pay for something that does not work and uses a 10,000 times more coal and hydrocarbons than natural gas or nuclear power.
Eighty years ago nuclear reactors didn't exist. In fact they sounded like a pipe dream. What changed that ? Research. In fact government funded research. Renewables don't use 10,000 times more coal and hydrocarbons, that would just be solar.

Forum List

Back