Ads screwing up the board

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
most of the time I come to this site now, I get a prompt of something that wants to download onto my computer.

the last couple of days there's an ad or something that causes the web page, from your site, to turn white.

I have to refresh several times to load the pages right

most of the time I come to this site now, I get a prompt of something that wants to download onto my computer.

the last couple of days there's an ad or something that causes the web page, from your site, to turn white.

Give them some money. They'll cut the ads.

There's a simple cure for that, it's google chrome with adblocker.

i'm trying to use the internet, not sign up for big brother

Wolfstrike, hello, the internet is now a commercial venture primarily used for commercial business. Google Chrome is a browser same as Internet Explorer except it uses different standards and methods. Since switching I have not been bugged by ads. It just takes getting used to and figuring out. Try it, you might like it.

I have noticed the same thing on most computers I use for this site, or it takes forever to type something out because all of the ads take forever to load.
Couple things to try, first off try using Chrome, it seems to have way less problem with the ads on here than Explorer or Firefox. On my system at home I have a piece of software called Ghostery, it allows you to stop ads, popups, all sorts of things. When I use my home system I see almost no ads on this site, there are no prompts asking me to download and the site runs at the same speed as any other similar website.
Not sure actually if I should have mentioned Ghostery or not, I imagine if the owners would prefer it not be known, they will delete this post.

Get a faster ISP service. Firefox works fine all by itself. Throw in an ad blocker and you really can't tell a speed difference with a fast ISP. Without a fast ISP, an ad-blocker can make a big difference. It all comes down to your ISP download speed.

There´s a cool proggy called ad muncher. It removes ads from any program! And it can far more such as removing website background images, adult content, and much more. And since a while, it is free.

If you use Firefox...

... download AdBlocker...

... from the Menu...

... at the far right...

... that looks like 3 bars...

... click on Add-0ns.

Get a faster ISP service. Firefox works fine all by itself. Throw in an ad blocker and you really can't tell a speed difference with a fast ISP. Without a fast ISP, an ad-blocker can make a big difference. It all comes down to your ISP download speed.
at home I have FIOS 100/100mps from Verizon. At work I have slow.

Uummmm sounds to me like you may need to scan your computer.

Or, turn on an ad blocker!

Or, turn on an ad blocker!
That too but it sounds like his problem might be a little more complex.

Forum List

Back