Addressing Disproportionate Minority Involvement in Violent Crime

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
I don't want this to get lost, and I don't want to type it again.

It's disgraceful when whites do it, but they're taking it from black culture, a culture that thinks everything is a fucking joke..

Actually, you're mistaken. When people "sag", they are taking it from white culture. It comes from cholo behavior and dates to the 1940s, when Hispanic (white) gang members wore zoot suits that were extremely large and baggy. The Los Angeles County jail forced inmates to remove their belts, and those big baggy pants sagged below their underwear. That sagging became synonymous for spending time in jail, and was adopted first by So Cal Hispanic gang members, and then widely adapted by black gangs like the Crips & Bloods in the 1970s and 80s. In fact, most of what we think of as gang culture in the U.S. is adopted from old WHITE gangs from Los Angeles like White Fence and others...the use of colored bandanas, etc., comes from that era.

Like a poison spreading through the society.

Actually, I consider racial hate based upon misinformation to be a much more insidious sort of poison, and you're actively attempting to spread it here.

Anyone that murders, rapes and thinks destroying someones shop(flash mobs) should pay for their crimes...No matter what color they're!

Absolutely. I am a huge advocate of removing dangerous predators from society, regardless of their skin color.

I'm not saying that blacks are the only ones, but you'd have to be blind not to be shocked at 5 times the murder rate per black person over white.

I'm not blind, I've spent the last 20 years of my life working on this issue, trying to reduce violent crime. However, I think it's also important to understand, and state publicly, that violent criminals are a small subsection of American society.

Less than .03% of black Americans will ever commit a murder, IN THEIR LIFETIME.

Violent crime is at historically low levels in the U.S., in fact, our homicide rate is 1/4 of what it was in 1972 (40 years ago).

Are blacks disproportionately likely to commit a violent crime? Yes. There is no one involved in the criminal justice system who would dispute this fact. But, they are also more likely to live in poverty (in some cases, extreme poverty). They are more likely to attend substandard and inadequate schools. They are more likely to live in a dangerous neighborhood and be victimized by crime. They are more likely to be exposed to and threatened by gangs. They are more likely to experience major family disruption, as children.

If you wish to fix the involvement of black Americans in violent crime, it's important to fix the underlying social conditions that cause violent crime. I can't fix families by myself, but I can support and push for economic revitalization in urban areas. I can push for schools to attain minimal educational standards so all kids in America have an equal opportunity to learn and achieve. And, I can, and have, work to reduce the overall level of violence in communities so all the people who live there are safer.

Those things, we can fix. And, we should.

It isn't racist to point out reality!

It is racist to imply that all, or even a majority of blacks are violent criminals. And, by selectively quoting this data, out of context, as you have done, you've done this. And, I suspect that was your goal all along.

Last edited:
Are blacks disproportionately likely to commit a violent crime? Yes. There is no one involved in the criminal justice system who would dispute this fact. But, they are also more likely to live in poverty (in some cases, extreme poverty). They are more likely to attend substandard and inadequate schools. They are more likely to live in a dangerous neighborhood and be victimized by crime. They are more likely to be exposed to and threatened by gangs. They are more likely to experience major family disruption, as children.

If you wish to fix the involvement of black Americans in violent crime, it's important to fix the underlying social conditions that cause violent crime. I can't fix families by myself, but I can support and push for economic revitalization in urban areas. I can push for schools to attain minimal educational standards so all kids in America have an equal opportunity to learn and achieve. And, I can, and have, work to reduce the overall level of violence in communities so all the people who live there are safer.

Preach! Instead of investing in changing it....people seem to think that all you have to do to end it is point at it and scream "look!"

• Banned
Similarly, I don't hold all white people responsible for the tiny fraction of white morons who post racist shit on message boards because of the safe anonymity they provide.

That would be stupid.

Preach! Instead of investing in changing it....people seem to think that all you have to do to end it is point at it and scream "look!"

Should the Italian people have done the same thing as Black,they were poor,lived in ghettos,were threatened by gangs.But what some of them did was form the mob and started killing one another,robbing their own people etc.

[
Actually, you're mistaken. When people "sag", they are taking it from white culture. It comes from cholo behavior and dates to the 1940s, when Hispanic (white) gang members wore zoot suits that were extremely large

So are Polacks,Italians,Germans,Hispanics,asians exposed to the same conditions as are Blacks. From what you just said is why I dont believe govt.stats.They lie like you do.

Should the Italian people have done the same thing as Black,they were poor,lived in ghettos,were threatened by gangs.But what some of them did was form the mob and started killing one another,robbing their own people etc.

The Italians did not form the mob and start killing one another because they were threatend by gangs. Jeeze, learn some history. The mafia is one of the oldest criminal enterprises in the world. Almost as old as the Yakuza. The Mafia and La Cosa Nostra came from Sicily. It started there and is still "the" power there.

The failures of black neighborhoods didn't come from poverty. They were far more poor in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. The disintegration of the black neighborhoods and especially black families was born out of the Great Society and the rise of the welfare state.

I don't want this to get lost, and I don't want to type it again.

It's disgraceful when whites do it, but they're taking it from black culture, a culture that thinks everything is a fucking joke..

Actually, you're mistaken. When people "sag", they are taking it from white culture. It comes from cholo behavior and dates to the 1940s, when Hispanic (white) gang members wore zoot suits that were extremely large and baggy. The Los Angeles County jail forced inmates to remove their belts, and those big baggy pants sagged below their underwear. That sagging became synonymous for spending time in jail, and was adopted first by So Cal Hispanic gang members, and then widely adapted by black gangs like the Crips & Bloods in the 1970s and 80s. In fact, most of what we think of as gang culture in the U.S. is adopted from old WHITE gangs from Los Angeles like White Fence and others...the use of colored bandanas, etc., comes from that era.

Like a poison spreading through the society.

Actually, I consider racial hate based upon misinformation to be a much more insidious sort of poison, and you're actively attempting to spread it here.

Absolutely. I am a huge advocate of removing dangerous predators from society, regardless of their skin color.

I'm not saying that blacks are the only ones, but you'd have to be blind not to be shocked at 5 times the murder rate per black person over white.

I'm not blind, I've spent the last 20 years of my life working on this issue, trying to reduce violent crime. However, I think it's also important to understand, and state publicly, that violent criminals are a small subsection of American society.

Less than .03% of black Americans will ever commit a murder, IN THEIR LIFETIME.

Violent crime is at historically low levels in the U.S., in fact, our homicide rate is 1/4 of what it was in 1972 (40 years ago).

It isn't racist to point out reality!

It is racist to imply that all, or even a majority of blacks are violent criminals. And, by selectively quoting this data, out of context, as you have done, you've done this. And, I suspect that was your goal all along.

It is now estimated by the U.S. Department of
Justice that approximately one third of all Black males will experience state prison in
their lifetime.
http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~oliver/RACIAL/Reports/ascincarcerationdraft.pdf

that shows that at least one in three black males show very poor judgement.

I understand your wish to improve the lives of blacks. I share that wish. I just dont know how outsiders can make the changes necessary. I am enthusiastically in favour of affirmative action as long as it is handed out to minimally qualified individuals rather than just a racial quota. if black kids knew that they were qualified to recieve x,y,z as soon as they accomplished a,b,c then you would have a whole lot more kids accomplishing a,b,c. no one is proud to say 'I got this only because of affirmative action'. but if reasonable standards were enforced then there wouldnt be the same stigma involved as there is today.

I have been able to teach my children the importance of education, effort, morality and logical thinking but only because I was around, involved and ready to sacrifice in a meaningful way. how can distrusted outsiders teach blacks how to be better parents?

it is one thing to say that the problems that beset blacks are correlated to poverty, poor schools, etc. it is a totally different thing to be able to change those conditions from the outside in any meaningful way. you cant make a person permanently wealthy by giving them a bit of money, you have teach them the methods and habits that work. and even then it only works if they are willing to do it. get trained for a job, work steadily at the job, have kids only after you are married, stay married, and keep away from criminal behaviour are five keys to success for just about anyone.

personal responsibility is the key to success and is a sign of good judgement. but like I said earlier, at least one in three black males just dont have good judgement.

I'd like to point out that while as a percentage, more blacks are convicted of violent crime, it doesn't mean that blacks commit more violent crimes. It just means they are more likely to be convicted.

I'd like to point out that while as a percentage, more blacks are convicted of violent crime, it doesn't mean that blacks commit more violent crimes. It just means they are more likely to be convicted.
And they are more likely to be convicted because.............(drum roll please)...............they are guilty!! :doubt:

And they are more likely to be convicted because.............(drum roll please)...............they are guilty!! :doubt:

Or they can't afford a decent lawyer.

You "King'd" me with that one. :eusa_angel:

Or, they refuse to cooperate with their lawyer whoever it is.

Wealth matters. Legal counsel is appointed for those who can't afford an attorney, but when it comes to legal representation, you often get what you pay for. Legal Defenders offices are notorious for being a starting point for young, inexperienced attorneys who can't obtain employment in more lucrative fields (the same holds true with the prosecutor's office, but prosecutors tend to stay in the field longer and have more opportunities/incentives).

Sit in a courtroom a few days and watch these black defendants in the courtroom. I have seen many innocent black men sent away simply because of their behavior. Why do they do it?

Wealth matters, uh huh, and there are no poor whites with court appointed attorneys or public defenders. All white people are rich. Yet a white guy even if guilty would walk when an innocent black man will be convicted. Why do they do it? Why do black defendants choose to act out some sort of urban rage in front of the jury?

Last edited:
Sit in a courtroom a few days and watch these black defendants in the courtroom. I have seen many innocent black men sent away simply because of their behavior. Why do they do it?

Wealth matters, uh huh, and there are no poor whites with court appointed attorneys or public defenders. All white people are rich. Yet a white guy even if guilty would walk when an innocent black man will be convicted. Why do they do it? Why do black defendants choose to act out some sort of urban rage in front of the jury?

Improper socialization in their homes. I know plenty of black folks who were properly raised and know how to conduct themselves in court (as police officers, bailiffs, judges, and attorneys).

I think there are multiple reasons. First, black kids are more likely to be exposed to trauma than white kids (statistically speaking). Trauma impacts a developing brain and can cause a near permanent flight/fight response to stress.

Second, poor socialization and conflict resolution skills at home and in their community. They model what they see acted out in front of them daily.

Third, poor legal representation. Most defendents require coaching before entering a courtroom.

Any of these things can happen to any defendent, but they are more likely to happen to someone from a poor, socially disorganized neighborhood, and blacks are much more likely than whites to reside in these conditions.

I think there are multiple reasons. First, black kids are more likely to be exposed to trauma than white kids (statistically speaking). Trauma impacts a developing brain and can cause a near permanent flight/fight response to stress.

Second, poor socialization and conflict resolution skills at home and in their community. They model what they see acted out in front of them daily.

Third, poor legal representation. Most defendents require coaching before entering a courtroom.

Any of these things can happen to any defendent, but they are more likely to happen to someone from a poor, socially disorganized neighborhood, and blacks are much more likely than whites to reside in these conditions.

But this becomes awfully chicken-and-egg, no? The supply of excuses for black criminality never ends. They always "come from bad neighborhoods." But the neighborhoods are all black. Neighborhoods aren't "bad" -- they're populated by BAD PEOPLE. At some point, if you're not willing to admit that blacks are simply INHERENTLY more likely to be criminal, my patience runs out.

And to say that it's white lawyers' fault really takes the cake.

There is simply nobody out there forcing blacks to rape, rob, deal drugs and shoot (usually each other) to death. They're doing it themselves.

So "behavior" trumps evidence or justice?

But this becomes awfully chicken-and-egg, no? The supply of excuses for black criminality never ends. They always "come from bad neighborhoods." But the neighborhoods are all black. Neighborhoods aren't "bad" -- they're populated by BAD PEOPLE. At some point, if you're not willing to admit that blacks are simply INHERENTLY more likely to be criminal, my patience runs out.

And to say that it's white lawyers' fault really takes the cake.

There is simply nobody out there forcing blacks to rape, rob, deal drugs and shoot (usually each other) to death. They're doing it themselves.

You know every thing you said in this post used to be said about white people living in bad neighborhoods.Like say Brooklyn,South Philly,Cicero etc. white people used to act the same way.Now its Black people,next it will be hispanics,then the asians.

Forum List

Back