Additional details about giving rep

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
There's already a thread somewhere out there about the basics of reps, but I just wanted to point out some additional finer details that might be helpful for a lot of people, especially for our many newer members who are just getting their bearings in USMB.

Yes, we are allowed 20 reps to give within a 24 hour period, but it helps alot to imagine that for each and every of those reps, there is like an invisible time-thread that goes 24 hours and a some extra seconds into the future. This is especially helpful if you wish to give out rep every day.

If you start repping on a Monday and your first rep was at, say, 10:03 am your time, then the next time you will be able to give out rep no. 1 of your 20 would be Tuesday at 10:03 am + a number of seconds.

Ditto for the other 19 of those 20 reps that each of us can give out.

Here's a random sample:

Rep 1: Monday, 10:03
Rep 2: Monday, 10:28
Rep 3: Monday, 12:47
Rep 4: Monday, 12:48
Rep 5: Monday, 12:49
Rep 6: Monday, 20:32
Rep 7: Monday, 20:33
Rep 8: Monday, 20:35
Rep 9: Monday, 20:36
Rep 10: Monday, 20:48
Rep 11: Monday, 20:49
Rep 12: Monday, 20:54
Rep 13: Monday, 20:57
Rep 14: Monday, 20:59
Rep 15: Monday, 21:32
Rep 16: Monday, 21:33
Rep 17: Monday, 21:41
Rep 18: Monday, 21:46
Rep 19: Monday, 21:57
Rep 20: Monday, 21:59

In this imaginary timeline, a member used up all of his/her reps between 10:03 am and 9:59 pm on a Monday. So, it doesn't work as if a member can think, "Ok, tomorrow at 10:03, I can throw out all 20 reps". Nope: each one of those reps is on a stopwatch, so to speak, for 24 hours and some seconds to boot. This is why some people get frustrated and wonder why they get the message "you have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours".

Some people award rep by spreading it out through the day. Others (which is often my case) like to pass out rep all at once, at the end of the day. I look at the things that members write as the day goes by, and if something really stands out, I bookmark that post and rep it with the rest later. This morning, while sipping my coffee, I noted three really good posts and they are already bookmarked for later this evening.

But if you are ever wondering how much you can rep at any certain hour of the day, just check your CP. Down below are listed the reps you gave out over the last 48 hours or so, time-stamped.

I write "+ a number of seconds", because I believe the USMB clock calculates to the second, but time-stamps only to the minute.

-----------------------------------------------

There is also the "11 reps in between" mechanism: you can first rep the same member again when have awarded 11 other reps in between. If you have a favorite member and always rep that member 1st in the day, then that is never a problem. But if the order of your repping is random, you may suddenly find that someone you really wanted to rep cannot be repped, because 11 other reps did not happen in between.

So, again, imo, it does help some to take a look at the reputation points given list in the CP, just to see where on the list you repped a specific person the last time.

Additionally, because of the "11 reps in between" mechanism, this means that, if you want to, you can rep the same person 5 times within three days. 3 X 20 = 60. 60 / 11 = 5.45. It's just a matter of accurately placing the reps where you want them to be. I'm not saying that people should or should not double rep within a day. I'm just saying that it's possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, to add one more positive thought: I don't neg very often and when I do, I have an internal rule where I don't allow myself to give out more than 1 of my 20 reps as a neg on any given day, and of course, because of the 48 hour rule, were I to give out a neg the next day, it would be for a different person. But I have had so many days where I could have negged a person for something really ugly, but found just too many other postings that day that were so darned good, at the end of the day, I decided to ditch the idea of negging someone and stuck with positive reps. That has become a helpful method for me in avoiding the "neg-rep complex".

Just food for though. Hope that helps.

Thoughts? Other details?

No, not at all.

I was just providing extra information that cannot be seen immediately when someone joins usmb.

Nothing less and nothing more.

I don't know about you, or anyone else for that matter, but the last thing I looked for when I joined was info about rep, much less the rules.

No, not at all.

I was just providing extra information that cannot be seen immediately when someone joins usmb.

Nothing less and nothing more.

I don't know about you, or anyone else for that matter, but the last thing I looked for when I joined was info about rep, much less the rules.

Right!!!

Which is why I provided this thread!!!

Bingo!

I wish adults would behave like adults.

The info in the OP was meant to be helpful, but the immaturity that followed wasn't. :neutral:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back