Adam Eichen This is how to ultimately defeat the NRA

Mobilizing against NRA-backed politicians isn't enough without democracy reform.

Cynics are correct to doubt, despite the epidemic of school shootings around the country, that meaningful gun control policy will be forthcoming, even though over two-thirds of Americans want stricter gun laws. And everyone knows that there are two groups to blame: The NRA, and the politicians caught in its thrall.

To break the NRA’s stranglehold on politics, we have to directly address the attributes that make them so effective. This means democratizing political fundraising to limit the NRA’s financial firepower, and expanding the number of active voters to normalize the impact of NRA members in many districts where candidates are held hostage by the organization.

[snipped]

And to improve lackluster youth participation in elections, we can allow 16- and 17-year-olds to preregister to vote — a simple policy that can boost youth turnout up to 13 percent. (There are also great reasons to consider lowering the voting age.)

Engaging young people is especially transformative, as research shows that, once someone votes, they are more likely to do so again.

To break the NRA’s hold on our government, mobilizing against NRA-backed politicians will not be enough without simultaneous efforts to push for democracy reform. This multi-pronged approach won’t be too hard given that pro-democracy initiatives will be on the ballot across the country in 2018. Voters in Nevada, for example, could pass automatic voter registration, and Floridians will have the chance to end a Jim Crow Era policy that bars approximately 1.5 millions people from voting.

There’s no question: We can have sane gun laws. We just have to fix our democracy first.
I'm not sure what to make of this article, it sounds a bit dishonest to me. Do these people want to see the NRA dissolved?
/——/ It is dishonest or disingenuous at best. First of all we’re not a democracy, but a Republic. Secondly, there is nothing to fix. What is broken? The NRA is not the enemy or the cause of the violence. It’s akin to blaming the AAA for vehicular homicides. If you want to stop NRA lobbying then you must also stop the Teachers Union from lobbying. There is more, but you get the idea.

Just get rid of democracy. That will fix everything that ails the left. Two thirds of the public does not want liberal gun grabbig laws. It's made up.

The problem the left has is this. The NRA is protecting my right to self defense. The left protects nothing and wants to remove whatever rights I do have.

Yes it is self defense the left wants to remove. It isn't common sense and sane gun laws. The template is the UK where knives must be rounded and baseball bats are illegal. All forms of self defense are illegal. The common sense way to fight crime is surrender and let some thug throw acid in your face.

Any politician who wants my vote had BETTER support the NRA.
You really are an embarrassing, shameless liar. Let's look at polling regarding gun control proposals that are actually on the table and exist in reality (as opposed to only in your insane mind):

Poll: 97 percent support background checks for all gun buyers

Two New Polls Show Widespread Support for Stricter Gun Laws

Poll: Majorities Of Both Parties Favor Increased Gun Restrictions
/——/ If you drill down to the actual survey you’ll discover they only asked 1,249 people. Of that 52 % or about 625 wanted stronger gun laws. This out of a population of about 300,000,000 Americans. When a poll says 52% of Americans think one way or the other and they actually ask all 300,000,000 adults the question then I’ll believe it. From February 16 - 19, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,249 voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 3.4 percentage points, including the design effect. Live interviewers call landlines and cell phones.

If you drill down to the actual survey you’ll discover they only asked 1,249 people.
Which is a good sample. Ever take statistics? The people formulating the scientific polls? They have.

"Only 52%"

Which is a majority. And clearly this information neatly debunks the lies of the person to whom i responded. But you did everything you could not to acknowledge that.

If you drill down to the actual survey you’ll discover they only asked 1,249 people.
Which is a good sample. Ever take statistics? The people formulating the scientific polls? They have.

"Only 52%"

Which is a majority. And clearly this information neatly debunks the lies of the person to whom i responded. But you did everything you could not to acknowledge that.
/——-/ 52% of a recent poll shows the majority thinks you should make my next car payment. I take PayPal.

Mobilizing against NRA-backed politicians isn't enough without democracy reform.

Cynics are correct to doubt, despite the epidemic of school shootings around the country, that meaningful gun control policy will be forthcoming, even though over two-thirds of Americans want stricter gun laws. And everyone knows that there are two groups to blame: The NRA, and the politicians caught in its thrall.

To break the NRA’s stranglehold on politics, we have to directly address the attributes that make them so effective. This means democratizing political fundraising to limit the NRA’s financial firepower, and expanding the number of active voters to normalize the impact of NRA members in many districts where candidates are held hostage by the organization.

[snipped]

And to improve lackluster youth participation in elections, we can allow 16- and 17-year-olds to preregister to vote — a simple policy that can boost youth turnout up to 13 percent. (There are also great reasons to consider lowering the voting age.)

Engaging young people is especially transformative, as research shows that, once someone votes, they are more likely to do so again.

To break the NRA’s hold on our government, mobilizing against NRA-backed politicians will not be enough without simultaneous efforts to push for democracy reform. This multi-pronged approach won’t be too hard given that pro-democracy initiatives will be on the ballot across the country in 2018. Voters in Nevada, for example, could pass automatic voter registration, and Floridians will have the chance to end a Jim Crow Era policy that bars approximately 1.5 millions people from voting.

There’s no question: We can have sane gun laws. We just have to fix our democracy first.
I'm not sure what to make of this article, it sounds a bit dishonest to me. Do these people want to see the NRA dissolved?

What stranglehold? They aren't even in the top 50 for political donations, and of the top 50 almost all of them support gun control and anti gun politicians.....you guys really do just spew out the last thing an anti gunner says on television.....if you actually had to think, you brain would freeze up from lack of use....

Jim crow is a democrat institution that Republicans had to end, just like they had to end democrat slave owning....

Just get rid of democracy. That will fix everything that ails the left. Two thirds of the public does not want liberal gun grabbig laws. It's made up.

The problem the left has is this. The NRA is protecting my right to self defense. The left protects nothing and wants to remove whatever rights I do have.

Yes it is self defense the left wants to remove. It isn't common sense and sane gun laws. The template is the UK where knives must be rounded and baseball bats are illegal. All forms of self defense are illegal. The common sense way to fight crime is surrender and let some thug throw acid in your face.

Any politician who wants my vote had BETTER support the NRA.
You really are an embarrassing, shameless liar. Let's look at polling regarding gun control proposals that are actually on the table and exist in reality (as opposed to only in your insane mind):

Poll: 97 percent support background checks for all gun buyers

Two New Polls Show Widespread Support for Stricter Gun Laws

Poll: Majorities Of Both Parties Favor Increased Gun Restrictions

You asshats bring up those polls to impress us, but they just show you are lying assholes. The people who are asked those questions don't even know we actually have federal background checks right now.........they don't know that what you really want is gun registration, which you plan to get through universal background checks.....

So you use questions that are lies and don't tell the truth, that you ask to uninformed people....and then you use those links in your posts and seek to impress us...

You lied, you lied to people who don't pay attention to the issue, just like left wingers do on all issues...

Yes...you lied....good for you....do you want a cookie or something...?

[snipped]

The NRA is here to stay.

This is because if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.

And the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.

From my cold dead hands.

They are reporting that since Parkland the NRA has gained about 1 million new members....and unlike the uninformed Americans who respond to gun control polls without paying attention, gun owners remember....and they vote.....

[snipped]

“Democracy Reform ???” WTF is that? Democracy is Democracy. Perhaps you want to fundamentally transform America. I’m not trying to sell you on the NRA. I would just wonder how you would look at your post if it were talking about using the same process to get the hold that NRAL has over politicians when it comes to abortion. Are you ok with 16 and 17 year-olds voting against reproductive rights?

[snipped]

The NRA has to be seen and treated as the right treated Acorn. The NRA is in fact the right's Acorn. It's past time to put them out of business.

[snipped]

The NRA has to be seen and treated as the right treated Acorn. The NRA is in fact the right's Acorn. It's past time to put them out of business.

No......Acorn was willing to help a pimp secure housing money for an illegal alien, underage, teenage girl brothel.....that is what brought down Acorn...actual criminal behavior....and by comparing the NRA, an organization that fights to save lives, trains police and civilians to use guns safely, and fights against the democrats as they try to release violent criminals from prison........you are showing that you truly are a dumb asshole......

[snipped]

Yes....the NRA fights for actual civil Rights.....so you must destroy them...

The Untold History of Black NRA Gun Clubs + Civil Rights

Monroe’s Black Armed Guard wasn’t a subsidiary of the Communist Party, nor an independent organization like the Black Panther Party that would use similar tactics of arming their members later. In fact, “Black Armed Guard” was nothing more than a fancy name for an officially chartered National Rifle Association chapter.

His 1962 book, Negroes With Guns, was prophetic for the Black Power movement to come later on in the decade. But Williams is noteworthy for his lack of revolutionary fervor, at least early on. Williams was cautious to always maintain that the Black Armed Guard was not an insurrectionary organization, but one dedicated to providing defense to a group of people who were under attack and lacking in normal legal remedies:

-----

The NRA as an Organ of Individual and Collective Self-Defense
First, the narrative of the NRA as some sort of crypto-racist organization is simply false. In the first place, the NRA is a single-issue organization, which is how Harry Reid is able to obtain a “B” rating and get campaign cash from them, despite voting as a party-line Democrat on virtually every non-gun-related issue. More to the point, the NRA has historically opposed laws that were virtually tailor made to deny African-Americans the right to keep and bear arms. Many gun control laws to this day stem from the KKK's fear of armed and independent minorities. The Rosewood Massacre in 1923 – a bloodbath led by a white mob that resulted in the destruction of an entire black community in Florida – was a clear example of how an armed black people could prevent future KKK raids.

Second, the uptick in gun ownership and firearms acceptability in the black community isn’t an anomaly, but a reconnection with a deeper past stretching back to Reconstruction. The right to keep and carry arms was even mentioned in the infamous Supreme Court case of Scott v. Sandford, where the enslaved Dred Scott sued for his freedom. He lost that fight, but the words from that courtroom live on to this day.

Forum List

Back