ACLU says lethal injection violates First Amendment

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
By DAVID KRAVETS, | Wednesday, Mar 8 2006 7:15 PM
Last Updated: Wednesday, Mar 8 2006 7:15 PM

The American Civil Liberties Union claimed in a federal lawsuit Wednesday that California's lethal injection protocol violates the First Amendment rights of execution witnesses by not allowing them to see if the inmate is experiencing pain before death. (WTF?)?

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, says the only reason San Quentin State Prison officials inject a paralyzing agent is to sanitize the execution and prevent witnesses from perhaps seeing convulsions.

The paralyzing drug, according to the lawsuit, "makes it impossible for witnesses to determine whether death row inmates in California are being subjected to substantial and unnecessary pain before dying."

The induced paralysis, the group argued, conceals significant information to which the public is entitled.

The ACLU, which filed the suit on behalf of San Francisco-based Pacific News Service, made a similar argument a year ago before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a condemned inmate. The court rejected it on procedural grounds, and did not reach the merits of the challenge.

In response to Wednesday's filing, Nathan Barankin, spokesman for Attorney General Bill Lockyer, said "The ACLU does not have a right to determine what method the state of California should use in carrying out the death penalty." He said the "paralyzing agent effectively stops inmate breathing."

Under California's injection protocol, a sedative, then a paralyzing agent and finally heart-stopping drugs are injected. The state is seeking court permission to drip a sedative continually to ensure unconsciousness.

At California executions, about two dozen members of the media, in addition to public officials and relatives of the slain are present. They are able to see prison officials strap the condemned man onto a gurney, see them wrap the inmate's fists into a ball of tape and watch as they poke him with needles.

Prison officials then move out of public site and the drugs begin pouring.

Wednesday's lawsuit comes two weeks after the execution of California prisoner Michael Morales was called off amid questions of whether inmates suffer too much pain during the execution in violation of the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Litigation is ongoing in the Morales case, with hearings on California's injection protocol set to begin May 2 in San Jose federal court. The Supreme Court has never addressed whether lethal injection amounts to cruel and unusual punishment, and 37 states use an injection protocol similar to California's.

The case is Pacific News Service v. Woodford, 06-1793

---

Editors: David Kravets has been covering state and federal courts for more than a decade.
http://www.bakersfield.com/119/story/39561.html

The American Civil Liberties Union claimed in a federal lawsuit Wednesday that California's lethal injection protocol violates the First Amendment rights of execution witnesses by not allowing them to see if the inmate is experiencing pain before death.

Is that all they are worried about? No problem. Bring back public hangings. Let everybody see all the pain a piece of garbage serial killer goes through. Might even drive some kids away from crime if they can see where they are headed.

The government does such a great job with other issues such as the war, poverty, immigration, energy issues, the environment, taxes, transportation, etc. I see no reason they would not do an equally fine job with life and death issues like the death penalty. We should trust them. ACLU should back off.

Nuc said:
The government does such a great job with other issues such as the war, poverty, immigration, energy issues, the environment, taxes, transportation, etc. I see no reason they would not do an equally fine job with life and death issues like the death penalty. We should trust them. ACLU should back off.
You're right, they should back off. This protocol (with the exception of the heart stopping drug) is used in emergency medicine everyday to save lives.

Is the ACLU going into medical practice now? If they are successful here, should the medical community discontinue the protocol also?
I mean if it’s cruel it’s cruel, right?:rolleyes:

Mr. P said:
You're right, they should back off. This protocol (with the exception of the heart stopping drug) is used in emergency medicine everyday to save lives.

Is the ACLU going into medical practice now? If they are successful here, should the medical community discontinue the protocol also?
I mean if it’s cruel it’s cruel, right?:rolleyes:

Yeah... so if the aclu is successful in this law suit, then I can turn around and sue my hospital for every time it "caused me pain"? :rotflmao:

Pale Rider said:
Yeah... so if the aclu is successful in this law suit, then I can turn around and sue my hospital for every time it "caused me pain"? :rotflmao:
Or sedate and paralyze you so they can place you on a ventilator and save yer life. BTW...no pain.

Mr. P said:
Or sedate and paralyze you so they can place you on a ventilator and save yer life. BTW...no pain.

Yes... no pain. That's going to be my demand next time I go to a hospital. When I see them coming at me with a needle, I'm going to threaten them with an aclu law suit for causing me pain... :happy2:

What a joke... the aclu that is.

"The American Civil Liberties Union claimed in a federal lawsuit Wednesday that California's lethal injection protocol violates the First Amendment rights of execution witnesses by not allowing them to see if the inmate is experiencing pain before death. (WTF?)?"

Personnally I'd like to see the person go through a little pain and suffering, serves them right.

Also, they're not supposed to be experiencing "inhuman suffering" when they're killed. I may be wrong but where does it say the inmate shouldn't have to experience any pain at all?????

It's called politics. The ACLU is using this silly argument to try to put an end to the death penalty. Unfortunately they are right, because this government is not competent to administer the death penalty. No government is, because they are all corrupt. Those of you who say the criminal should suffer pain, does that mean you agree with the Islamic countries use of beheadings. Pretty safe bet that hurts.

Why would the aclu even bother with this, and not death by eletricution instead? Or don't they do that anymore?

I have this REALLY hard time getting any sympathy worked up for some who had so little regard for the rights of his/her victim that the crime rated the death penalty.

Hang 'em in public. Rope is cheap. And it's punishment. I hope it DOES hurt.

GunnyL said:
I have this REALLY hard time getting any sympathy worked up for some who had so little regard for the rights of his/her victim that the crime rated the death penalty.

Hang 'em in public. Rope is cheap. And it's punishment. I hope it DOES hurt.

The problem is that the government and the courts don't always get it right. Or do you think they do?

Nuc said:
The problem is that the government and the courts don't always get it right. Or do you think they do?

Nope. I do not agree with capital punishment as it is practiced in the US. I DO believe capital punishment is an appropriate punishment for certain crimes.

NO ONE, IMO, should be sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence alone unless it's so overwhelming that the odds of being wrong are astronomical. IMO, when you are taking a person's life as punishment, there should be NO doubt where guilt is concerned. There needs to be a smoking gun.

However, in the presence of that smoking gun, I'm all for dispensing with all the appeals looking for procedural error and hanging the perpetrator on the courthouse lawn after the trial.

GunnyL said:
However, in the presence of that smoking gun, I'm all for dispensing with all the appeals looking for procedural error and hanging the perpetrator on the courthouse lawn after the trial.

Bingo! And televise it on the "Execution Network"

GunnyL said:
Nope. I do not agree with capital punishment as it is practiced in the US. I DO believe capital punishment is an appropriate punishment for certain crimes.

NO ONE, IMO, should be sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence alone unless it's so overwhelming that the odds of being wrong are astronomical. IMO, when you are taking a person's life as punishment, there should be NO doubt where guilt is concerned. There needs to be a smoking gun.

I don't agree (anymore, I once thought this way), but that's a respectable opinion. It seems however that there are a lot of people who are willing to excercise the death penalty even in the absence of that "smoking gun". And when there is an incentive for the police and the legal system to tie up loose ends, frequently mistakes are made. That's a double problem because not only is the wrong person executed, but the real criminal remains free.

Nuc said:
I don't agree (anymore, I once thought this way), but that's a respectable opinion. It seems however that there are a lot of people who are willing to excercise the death penalty even in the absence of that "smoking gun". And when there is an incentive for the police and the legal system to tie up loose ends, frequently mistakes are made. That's a double problem because not only is the wrong person executed, but the real criminal remains free.

What is it you don't agree with?

Forum List

Back