ACLU Backs Illegals Suing Maine For Welfare

In an unsurprising move, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has announced that it will back a lawsuit by a coalition of a group of asylum seekers against the state of Maine for welfare benefits they claim are owed for food and housing.

At issue are new rules issued by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services limiting eligibility for what is called “general assistance” in that state to only those immigrants who are “lawfully present,” in the United States, as defined by federal law, or who have applied for asylum.

We have to do something about this welfare shit.

Vote Trump.

Hi Willow, good to see you!

Those pictures in the Mooney Times article are not even close to what the refugees in our State look like.... you would think the newspaper writing about the refugees that are here, they would at least take a picture of what they look like or where they are staying here?

They sure are trying to make people hate Mexicans with posting pictures of Mexicans in an article about Maine, eh?

I was under the impression that immigrants come here to work, and don't want our welfare. Isn't that what we're always told?

I want to hear a liberal's justification why we owe illegals welfare. Why don't we just send welfare payment to everyone in a third world country and save them the trip here?

ETA. And send them a voter registration I D along with the payment.

I was under the impression that immigrants come here to work, and don't want our welfare. Isn't that what we're always told?
They are not immigrants or illegal immigrants like Mexicans crossing the border to work...

They are asylum seekers, refugees from Africa...they do work, get paid little, and were given food stamps and/or housing supplements if they could not make ends meet with their income earned.... the article said that there were about 100 in Portland, our largest city, that could be affected by the governor's rule change.

They do NOT receive Welfare, as in TANF..... as said, they work.

"ACLU Backs Illegals Suing Maine For Welfare"

And appropriately so, given the fact that all persons are entitled to due process of the law, including those undocumented.

Indeed, one is not ‘illegal’ until such time as he has been found guilty in a court of law of entering the country absent authorization, or remaining in the country absent authorization.

Until that time undocumented immigrants are presumed to be innocent consistent with the rule of law, where those undocumented cannot be denied their right to due process for no other reason than being undocumented.

The right to due process is also afforded to those applying for public assistance, where one cannot be denied the right to apply for no other reason than lacking immigration status and without having been adjudicated concerning whether one has lawfully entered the country or not.

Once found guilty of entering the country absent authorization, the state is at liberty to deny an applicant public assistance because he has been afforded his comprehensive right to due process.

And appropriately so, given the fact that all persons are entitled to due process of the law, including those undocumented.

Indeed, one is not ‘illegal’ until such time as he has been found guilty in a court of law of entering the country absent authorization, or remaining in the country absent authorization.

Until that time undocumented immigrants are presumed to be innocent consistent with the rule of law, where those undocumented cannot be denied their right to due process for no other reason than being undocumented.

The right to due process is also afforded to those applying for public assistance, where one cannot be denied the right to apply for no other reason than lacking immigration status and without having been adjudicated concerning whether one has lawfully entered the country or not.

Once found guilty of entering the country absent authorization, the state is at liberty to deny an applicant public assistance because he has been afforded his comprehensive right to due process.
Thank you for your amateur opinion on what you think the law should be.

From the New York Times...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
May 1, 2001

Civil Liberties Union Chooses New Executive

By TAMAR LEWIN

Anthony D. Romero, a 35-year-old lawyer who has been an executive at the Ford Foundation for the last nine years, will become executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in September.

He will succeed Ira Glasser, who announced his plans to retire last August, after 23 years as head of the organization.

"It's the thrill of my life," said Mr. Romero, who will be the first gay and the first Hispanic man to head the organization.

"The A.C.L.U. is the nation's premier civil rights-civil liberties organization in the nation," he added. "It's the only one that defends the whole range of civil rights and civil liberties for all Americans."

From the New York Times...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
May 1, 2001

Civil Liberties Union Chooses New Executive

By TAMAR LEWIN

Anthony D. Romero, a 35-year-old lawyer who has been an executive at the Ford Foundation for the last nine years, will become executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union in September.

He will succeed Ira Glasser, who announced his plans to retire last August, after 23 years as head of the organization.

"It's the thrill of my life," said Mr. Romero, who will be the first gay and the first Hispanic man to head the organization.

"The A.C.L.U. is the nation's premier civil rights-civil liberties organization in the nation," he added. "It's the only one that defends the whole range of civil rights and civil liberties for all Americans."
So he was chosen because he's gay and Hispanic? Who's the Jewish guy in the office? He'll be the one really calling the shots.

Those pictures in the Mooney Times article are not even close to what the refugees in our State look like.... you would think the newspaper writing about the refugees that are here, they would at least take a picture of what they look like or where they are staying here?

They sure are trying to make people hate Mexicans with posting pictures of Mexicans in an article about Maine, eh?

These black market laborers are killing wage scales, importing disease and are a conduit for other illegal activity such as heroin sales.

Why shouldnt any reasonable person hate the criminal scum?

I honed in on the sign they were holding. I don't hate Mexicans but I do hate illegals who think we owe them something. They should be protesting their own shitty countries.

We should assist them. Right back to their own country.

I honed in on the sign they were holding. I don't hate Mexicans but I do hate illegals who think we owe them something. They should be protesting their own shitty countries.
If they did that they would get shot. It's easier to come here and protest here. We're easy...

image.jpeg

Forum List

Back