Accurate Map of State Minimum wage Across the United States

Unfortunately there are posters ( andaronjim ) on this forum who are misinformed and do not understand that minimum wage is different in each state across the country. The federal government sets a floor for a wage which is currently $7.25. This map shows the minimum wage of each state across the country. It is important to understand because each stat might have living conditions that are much higher than other states. The $13 minimum wage in California where even those making $20+ an hour cannot afford to live where they work, could fund raising a family in Kentucky, however the minimum wage here is $7.25, almost HALF of that in California. So please remember this when making your argument.

If you're an adult making minimum wage you need to sit down and figure out where you fucked up in life. I haven't made minimum wage since I was 16.

Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc. Up until 50 years ago, a person could work a minimum wage job 40 hours a week and be able to house, feed, and take care of their family without any type of federal assistance. There is ZERO chance that can happen today, and people like you have here, just assume everyone can do what you have done and get to the position in life you have. I'm not sure why it is so hard to understand not everyone is the same or in the same situation you are.
There are lots and lots of half assed excuses for being shiftless and lazy but at the end of the day they're still just shiftless, lazy and worthless regardless of color or consequences.

And obviously you haven't been to too many rural towns in this country.
Bwaaaahhhaaaaaa... When i was over in Saudi Arabia, collecting that $70,000 tax free, learning all the "Loopholes" that the rich democrats know, my family and i came back to the US to visit relatives for a month. One day we went into a local Walmart, and bought up a lot of personal items like cosmetics and such in large amounts. The male cashier wondered if there was a sale going on for the items we were buying up. I told the kid, "no, it is just that we are back from Saudi and the prices over there are much more, so we are stocking up." The kid replied "heck, Saudi Arabia? I was born here, i have lived here, and i will probably die here". I realized that then this guy was never going to be much more than a Walmart employee the rest of his life, or he will wake up one day and become a conservative and wake up and get skills that will take him to more success...

Unfortunately there are posters ( andaronjim ) on this forum who are misinformed and do not understand that minimum wage is different in each state across the country. The federal government sets a floor for a wage which is currently $7.25. This map shows the minimum wage of each state across the country. It is important to understand because each stat might have living conditions that are much higher than other states. The $13 minimum wage in California where even those making $20+ an hour cannot afford to live where they work, could fund raising a family in Kentucky, however the minimum wage here is $7.25, almost HALF of that in California. So please remember this when making your argument.

If you're an adult making minimum wage you need to sit down and figure out where you fucked up in life. I haven't made minimum wage since I was 16.

Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc. Up until 50 years ago, a person could work a minimum wage job 40 hours a week and be able to house, feed, and take care of their family without any type of federal assistance. There is ZERO chance that can happen today, and people like you have here, just assume everyone can do what you have done and get to the position in life you have. I'm not sure why it is so hard to understand not everyone is the same or in the same situation you are.
Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc.
Would you say this person was very lacking in skills do to his physical disability?
o-STEPHEN-HAWKING-facebook.jpg

You aren't too bright or you are just a troll. I clearly posted more than just physical disabilities. Hawking obviously does not have any type of learning disability. :rolleyes:

"Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc."
Have you ever heard of Melwood? You are such a dickwad...All you want to do is sit in your parents basement collect your welfare smoke dope, and bitch and moan how unfair you miserable liberal life is. We who have worked hard and saved up so we can live better than shitfucks like you, dont give a shit anymore, because you vote for the very people who keep you poor....

https://www.melwood.org/community-s...tanf-temporary-assistance-for-needy-families1
Statistics

• The Melwood JOBs Program has served 282 participants since July 1, 2017; where 148 participants are employed
  • 86% of participants remain employed for one year or longer
  • Average Hourly wage is $14.53

Ad hominem attacks will get you no where. In what you just said about me, you got exactly zero correct. You just posted about a program with 282 participants in a country of close to 331 MILLION. In Harlan County Kentucky they started a program to help unemployed coal miners to learn how to code so they could work remotely and be able to make money while not having to move out of their community. Sounds like a great program huh? Well Trump and the Republicans worked to take the budget money away to reduce and possibly eventually stop the program altogether.

View attachment 357833
Back before minimum wage was determined by the Democrats, people were paid their worth. A burger flipper was paid $2,00 an hour because there were many burger flippers and it doesnt take a college degree to be one. Now lets look at a NFL quarterback, not too many of those around, but the really good ones are paid in the 10s of millions. Now for the really bad thing minimum wage does for people, those who are more qualified to be better, if the business owner is a liberal, will pay that person the minimum required and not the worth of the individual. Perfect example is Jeff Bezos, the liberal multibillionaire, the richest person on the planet, pays his employees no where near what he makes. Liberals, do as they say, not as they do....
You wanting to go back to $2.00 burger flippers? Nobody talking about paying burger flippers 10s of millions. Probably not going back to the 60s era though. Many on that side of the aisle are not looking to hold the line on any issue, but would rather try to turn back the clock, 50 years if they could. Used to be a conservative party, not head in the sand turn back the clock 2 generations, kind of party. I miss the conservatives.
Also back in the day, minimum wage was for the part time high schooler or college kid who needed a few bucks, or that elderly person who didnt want to be fully retired but wanted to mingle with other people. yeah, i was a minimum wage puke back in the day, but then after waking up and moving away from liberal victimhood, i got skills, skills fixing fighter jets that too me to Saudi Arabia. Was making $70,000 a year , tax free, free housing, gasoline was 25 cents a gallon, that was in 1991. You worthless fucks stay poor, stay victims, you deserve all the misery the liberals force upon you.

Report: 3 million more children in poverty under Obama, 22% of all kids
Obama's Policies Redefine Poverty
A new Heritage Foundation study reminds us that America’s “poor” maintain a standard of living much of the world would envy. Typically, “poor” Americans have more living space than the average European. Plus air conditioning, cable TV, and computer games. They are well-fed, and report they are not hungry.

Want to hear something really interesting.... I got to go to Egypt, there is real poverty, where people didnt have a house to live in, or free money given every month. They didnt have TV services for free, or free healthcare if the walk down the local medicaid facility. Our poor live like kings in this country.

Egyptian poor....
2e5b8cd4-a771-4551-b10d-686a83641e4e.jpg
Guess i am one of those worthless fucks that decided to become a military officer. Nice to know what you think of everyone that didn't head over seas to get a decent wage. Glad it worked out for you. Now the Saudis are the worthless fucks as you call people.
So you were a military officer? In the army? Must be because it didnt take much for someone to join that Army of One. Why else would you vote for the very people who made the military feckless up to a rag head, camel jockey, navy? Huh? You must be so proud of the pussy president who had our sailors surrender to such shit fucks as the Iranians..Are you proud of Obammy for this ?

iran-surrender-US_3548568b.jpg

I think you are a fucking liar about your service, because you lie about everything else...
Opinions vary. Yours means very little.
So you were fine with the US navy surrendering to a bunch of stinky Muzzies?
Dude, I was retired and nowhere near the rank to call the shot or personally face the tactical situation at the time. Philophically, I guess I am an objectivity. Reality is real, not to be approved or denied. Have fun in you make believe world of "what if".

Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc.
Would you say this person was very lacking in skills do to his physical disability?

You aren't too bright or you are just a troll. I clearly posted more than just physical disabilities. Hawking obviously does not have any type of learning disability. :rolleyes:

"Not all people are able to learn skills and trades to make higher wages whether it be due to lack of learning skills, physical disabilities, etc."
Have you ever heard of Melwood? You are such a dickwad...All you want to do is sit in your parents basement collect your welfare smoke dope, and bitch and moan how unfair you miserable liberal life is. We who have worked hard and saved up so we can live better than shitfucks like you, dont give a shit anymore, because you vote for the very people who keep you poor....

https://www.melwood.org/community-s...tanf-temporary-assistance-for-needy-families1
Statistics

• The Melwood JOBs Program has served 282 participants since July 1, 2017; where 148 participants are employed

Ad hominem attacks will get you no where. In what you just said about me, you got exactly zero correct. You just posted about a program with 282 participants in a country of close to 331 MILLION. In Harlan County Kentucky they started a program to help unemployed coal miners to learn how to code so they could work remotely and be able to make money while not having to move out of their community. Sounds like a great program huh? Well Trump and the Republicans worked to take the budget money away to reduce and possibly eventually stop the program altogether.
So if you want to save the poor, then you start a business instead of being nothing more than a liberal bitcher and moaner. I grew up in a small town, but as i said before, instead of falling for the liberal, oh poor me, liberal, it got skills that made me very valuable. My bud in the picture, he is his own businessman. Got a problem with that also.

Funny how people will look at another person and think "damn , that dude is just stupid or he cant do shit because he is too handicapped. Then when i proved to you how people over come their "victimhood" they can do great things like Steven. You lefties are such wretched creatures, go crawl back into your hole..

View attachment 357833
Back before minimum wage was determined by the Democrats, people were paid their worth. A burger flipper was paid $2,00 an hour because there were many burger flippers and it doesnt take a college degree to be one. Now lets look at a NFL quarterback, not too many of those around, but the really good ones are paid in the 10s of millions. Now for the really bad thing minimum wage does for people, those who are more qualified to be better, if the business owner is a liberal, will pay that person the minimum required and not the worth of the individual. Perfect example is Jeff Bezos, the liberal multibillionaire, the richest person on the planet, pays his employees no where near what he makes. Liberals, do as they say, not as they do....
You wanting to go back to $2.00 burger flippers? Nobody talking about paying burger flippers 10s of millions. Probably not going back to the 60s era though. Many on that side of the aisle are not looking to hold the line on any issue, but would rather try to turn back the clock, 50 years if they could. Used to be a conservative party, not head in the sand turn back the clock 2 generations, kind of party. I miss the conservatives.
Also back in the day, minimum wage was for the part time high schooler or college kid who needed a few bucks, or that elderly person who didnt want to be fully retired but wanted to mingle with other people. yeah, i was a minimum wage puke back in the day, but then after waking up and moving away from liberal victimhood, i got skills, skills fixing fighter jets that too me to Saudi Arabia. Was making $70,000 a year , tax free, free housing, gasoline was 25 cents a gallon, that was in 1991. You worthless fucks stay poor, stay victims, you deserve all the misery the liberals force upon you.

A new Heritage Foundation study reminds us that America’s “poor” maintain a standard of living much of the world would envy. Typically, “poor” Americans have more living space than the average European. Plus air conditioning, cable TV, and computer games. They are well-fed, and report they are not hungry.

Want to hear something really interesting.... I got to go to Egypt, there is real poverty, where people didnt have a house to live in, or free money given every month. They didnt have TV services for free, or free healthcare if the walk down the local medicaid facility. Our poor live like kings in this country.

Egyptian poor....
Guess i am one of those worthless fucks that decided to become a military officer. Nice to know what you think of everyone that didn't head over seas to get a decent wage. Glad it worked out for you. Now the Saudis are the worthless fucks as you call people.
So you were a military officer? In the army? Must be because it didnt take much for someone to join that Army of One. Why else would you vote for the very people who made the military feckless up to a rag head, camel jockey, navy? Huh? You must be so proud of the pussy president who had our sailors surrender to such shit fucks as the Iranians..Are you proud of Obammy for this ?

I think you are a fucking liar about your service, because you lie about everything else...
Dude, I was retired and nowhere near the rank to call the shot or personally face the tactical situation at the time. Philophically, I guess I am an objectivity. Reality is real, not to be approved or denied. Have fun in you make believe world of "what if".
I noticed that you didnt think that the US navy surrendering to a bunch of Muzzies is a bad thing. Are you Old Lady?

View attachment 357833

Egyptian poor....

I noticed that you didnt think that the US navy surrendering to a bunch of Muzzies is a bad thing. Are you Old Lady?
Are you sniffing glue? Quote where I said anything like that. You can't. Liar. Why do trumpers lie or ignore reality as if in their own little world? On of the reasons and way trump proves unfit for the job is his constant lies. Character counts, kid. Try to show some.

Statistics

So if you want to save the poor, then you start a business instead of being nothing more than a liberal bitcher and moaner. I grew up in a small town, but as i said before, instead of falling for the liberal, oh poor me, liberal, it got skills that made me very valuable. My bud in the picture, he is his own businessman. Got a problem with that also.

Funny how people will look at another person and think "damn , that dude is just stupid or he cant do shit because he is too handicapped. Then when i proved to you how people over come their "victimhood" they can do great things like Steven. You lefties are such wretched creatures, go crawl back into your hole..

What kind of bad business is that? You open a business in an area of people with no money to spend, and who are unlikely to even be hire-able due to one of many reasons including a criminal record due to opioid addiction, lack of proper skills because of the poor education they received, or because there is ZERO public transportation and they do not have a vehicle because they can not afford one along with the required insurance. That makes a ton of sense. :thup:

You continue to make one of the most obvious logical fallacies. YOUR experience is unique to YOU. It is called Anecdotal Evidence Fallacy. Not everyone has the same living situation and resources.

I'm going to see if the OP gets the point of this.

According to the BLS, the average hourly wage of a doctor is roughly $89. The hourly wage is higher for some specialties and lower for other specialties. Anesthesiologists average about $113 an hour, surgeons average about $111 an hour, internists average about $91 an hour, and pediatricians average about $81 an hour.

How do these compare to other health professionals? A general dentist has an average hourly salary of about $77; some dental specialties were compensated significantly higher. For example, an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon pockets about $105 per hour. A podiatrist averages about $64 an hour. An optometrist and pharmacist both average just above $50 an hour. Physician Assistants and Physical Therapists make $43 and $39 per hour respectively. A Registered Nurse makes about $33 an hour.

The lowest-paid 10 percent of lawyers received $26.11 per hour or less in 2012, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The is the equivalent of $54,310 in full-time annual income. The lowest-earning 25 percent of lawyers received $36 per hour or less, equivalent to $74,880 annually. The BLS multiplies hourly income by 2,080 to calculate annual income.

Median and Average Earners
The median pay for lawyers in 2012 was $54.58 per hour, or $113,530 per year, according to the BLS. On the other hand, their average annual pay was $62.93 per hour, which comes to $130,880 per year. Median pay means half earn more and half earn less. The average, also called the arithmetic mean, is calculated by adding together all workers' salaries and dividing by the number of workers. As a result, the average pay is higher than the median when there are some extremely high earners.

An entry-level Electrician with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $15.02 based on 251 salaries. An early career Electrician with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $17.91 based on 3,432 salaries. A mid-career Electrician with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $22.79 based on 2,576 salaries. An experienced Electrician with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $25.21 based on 3,151 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $27.

Plumbers made a median salary of $53,910 in 2018. The best-paid 25 percent made $71,140 that year, while the lowest-paid 25 percent made $40,250

A little research into the average and minimum wage of just about any trade, skilled, or college trained job is NOT 7.25 per hour.

You can cut and paste. Now go find the stats on the number of post-high school educated individuals who are working at minimum wage jobs because they cannot find employment in their field of expertise.
High school grads have an area of expertise?
Pot smoking and playing Call of Duty.

Not really translatable to a modern job other than the military.

Hmm...

E1 in the army is making just under $10.

Not a bad gig since you don't have to pay for rent or food and healthcare is free.

Still, it is ABOVE minimum wage with very little training --> Which they will happily provide you free of charge.
I guess some cops in the South make $12.00 an hour. Must make them live like kings over others. Holy Moses, a whole $4.50's worth of higher end living.
Cops make what the local villages can afford. They are free to move to larger, more dangerous venues.

Bullshit anyone can be a millionaire in the USA you just have to work for it

Statistics

What kind of bad business is that? You open a business in an area of people with no money to spend, and who are unlikely to even be hire-able due to one of many reasons including a criminal record due to opioid addiction, lack of proper skills because of the poor education they received, or because there is ZERO public transportation and they do not have a vehicle because they can not afford one along with the required insurance. That makes a ton of sense. :thup:

You continue to make one of the most obvious logical fallacies. YOUR experience is unique to YOU. It is called Anecdotal Evidence Fallacy. Not everyone has the same living situation and resources.
you forget about food stamps?

View attachment 357833

The actual minimum wage is $0.00

It's what you get if machines take over your job, or if your boss can now hire a person worth the extra money he has to spend to pay you to do a job YOU are not providing the worth for at the inflated salary.

$7.25 is an inflated salary?

it depends on what type of work you are doing and how much value you add to the final product or service.
Bunch of barf is worth more than zero.

Figures you don't understand actual economics.

A person has to add value to a product or service, and they can't be paid more than that value without raising the price of that product or service, or said product or service no longer being provided.

Statistics

My experience happened to me and around 200 other black , white , yellow and brown men(saudis didnt allow women to work on their jets), who also, left the "comfort" of their homes to go on an adventure that made them hundreds of thousands of dollar but they had to leave the comforts of their homes. Liberal are to lazy, so must stay close to their parents, for security..

Statistics

You open a business in an area of people with no money to spend,
Wow, you cant think of anything that you could "create" that would bring lots of people to your area? You are a worthless fuck arent you....Again my bud has his own business, he brings the people to him....

View attachment 357833

Egyptian poor....

Are you sniffing glue? Quote where I said anything like that. You can't. Liar. Why do trumpers lie or ignore reality as if in their own little world? On of the reasons and way trump proves unfit for the job is his constant lies. Character counts, kid. Try to show some.
Then answer the fucking question you fucking liberal squirrel. Do you think that when Obammy allowed Iran to take our sailors as hostages, was it a good thing? Egad you lie all the fucking time...
I don't lie about anything. Dad just said do not play the other mans game, and have found it to be a good policy.

Statistics

My experience happened to me and around 200 other black , white , yellow and brown men(saudis didnt allow women to work on their jets), who also, left the "comfort" of their homes to go on an adventure that made them hundreds of thousands of dollar but they had to leave the comforts of their homes. Liberal are to lazy, so must stay close to their parents, for security..

Statistics

Wow, you cant think of anything that you could "create" that would bring lots of people to your area? You are a worthless fuck arent you....Again my bud has his own business, he brings the people to him....

Pretty simple, if people do not have money to spend, you can't sell your product or services. I see businesses come and go where I live ALL the time. The federal government even tries to build prisons in old coal towns to hopefully bring money into their economy with federal jobs while the feds get cheap land. Even those do not work, as most people that live around the prison do not qualify for a job. Not to mention if you know anything about prison federal jobs, the ones working at other prisons get first shot for a transfer and a lot do it because they will get top seniority there. Then those that transfer or get hired are mostly outside the community, and thus do not inject money into the local economy because they live and spend their money elsewhere... and that is not just an anecdotal story. Those are FACTS I learned during my graduate school courses in Criminology... that I did not earn in my parent's basement. ;)

Statistics

Statistics

Pretty simple, if people do not have money to spend, you can't sell your product or services. I see businesses come and go where I live ALL the time. The federal government even tries to build prisons in old coal towns to hopefully bring money into their economy with federal jobs while the feds get cheap land. Even those do not work, as most people that live around the prison do not qualify for a job. Not to mention if you know anything about prison federal jobs, the ones working at other prisons get first shot for a transfer and a lot do it because they will get top seniority there. Then those that transfer or get hired are mostly outside the community, and thus do not inject money into the local economy because they live and spend their money elsewhere... and that is not just an anecdotal story. Those are FACTS I learned during my graduate school courses in Criminology... that I did not earn in my parent's basement. ;)
if people do not have money to spend,
I pay 65 thousand dollars a year in taxes, to people who do nothing but sit on their liberal asses and smoke dope and bitch and moan how fucked up their lives are. Are you telling me they dont have my money to spend? FOAD. You worthless piece of shit...

View attachment 357833

Egyptian poor....

Then answer the fucking question you fucking liberal squirrel. Do you think that when Obammy allowed Iran to take our sailors as hostages, was it a good thing? Egad you lie all the fucking time...
I don't lie about anything. Dad just said do not play the other mans game, and have found it to be a good policy.
You must be Old Lady, just like she did, you have squirreled away for the 3rd time of not answering my question. So since you wont answer if what Obammy did by surrendering the sailors to Iranian rag heads, then you must think it was okay....
Walk on, Jim. Better luck with next target, dude.

View attachment 357833

It's what you get if machines take over your job, or if your boss can now hire a person worth the extra money he has to spend to pay you to do a job YOU are not providing the worth for at the inflated salary.

Well first, as the original poster was pointing out, the value of the salary, and the value of the labor, are both flexible.

$50,000 a year in California is practically poverty, while being almost upper class in Mississippi.

At the same time, the value of your labor changes dramatically based on a host of things.

One of the big problems with all left-wing ideology, is that they constantly rely on a one-size-fits-all theory of governance.

The tax rate the works in California, should work everywhere. The regulations that work in New Jersey, should work everywhere.

The value of a job... whatever job... is the same everywhere.

Yet in their own lives they never think this way. Your in-laws say "Why don't live your life like we do. Our system works for us!", and you say... I'm not you, and you are not me, and what works for you doesn't work for me.

Right? It's like one-size-fits-all clothing, that everyone hates.

Well this is true of $7.25/hour. Is that an inflated wage? Well it depends. I think the implication that $7.25 can't be an inflated wage, is wrong.

You can be drastically over paid at $7.25. That's why businesses lay of employees, when they are only paying them $7.25 an hour.

The value of your labor is contingent on many.

The primary factor being, what profit you earn the person you are working for.

Let me give you an example. Near where I live is a bread bakery. More like a bread factory really. That's all they do, is make bread. They have big building, and they load up trucks, and deliver bread to all the grocery stores in the area.

They also have a tiny, about the size of a studio apartment, room with a sign in the window, where you can walk in and by fresh bread right from the ovens.

At this small micro-store at the bread bakery, you can get it 30 minutes after it was removed from the ovens.

So I actually knew a girl that worked there, at this micro-store. She would come in, sit at the register, and collect money for sitting. She would get a dozen to two dozen customers in an entire day.

How much in real profit were they getting from selling at most 30 loafs of bread, while paying her minimum wage? Roughly $2 a loaf, $60, and her wage was $58 for 8 hours at $7.25... not including taxes and the cost of benefits.

And honestly, is sitting there, watching TV, with an occasional "would you like that in a bag?", and sliding a credit card on a reader, really worth $7.25 an hour? No it's not.

Now you might ask why the company had such a store at all, if they were not really making a profit. In fact, almost impossible to make a profit, if you include the overhead.

Two reasons: One, the micro store was built 30 years ago, when far fewer stores existed in the area, and thus they had a many more customers. Two is because the micro-store does serve as a sort of advertisement for the brand. People would see the store, and eventually come in out of curiosity, have some really good bread, and then end up buying their brand of bread at the regulator grocery stores.

Regardless, I think you get my point. $7.25 can be a very inflated wage. It depends on many things.

In fact, the value of the labor can differ inside a company, even with exact same jobs.

So in the 90s, I was working at Wendy's, when the minimum wage was $5.25. I think I was getting $6.50 an hour, because I was full time (+50¢/hour), and I was cashier (+25¢/hour), and because you got 25¢/hour raise every six months, and I had been there one year.

So $6.50/hour. Well I found out that the store down town was paying cashiers $10/hours an hour to start. At the time, I had no idea why they paid so much more, but it was annoying to me that other people doing the exact same job, for the exact same company, were getting paid more.

Then one night, that store sent out an SOS for help. I forget what exactly they called it, there was a term for it at that time, where a store sent out a call for help, and any store that could send over spare employees, was supposed to do so, and would be compensated by corporate.

So they sent me.

That store was packed with customers, and 2 or 3 of their employees called off. Packed. Customers everywhere. And it stayed packed right up till closing. People were still trying to enter the store, when they were flipping chairs up on tables, and turning the dining room lights off.

This was entirely different from the Suburban Wendy's I was used to. We had a lunch rush that lasted from 11:30 to 1 PM, and then a dinner stream of people from 5 PM till 7 PM. Before lunch, or between If you had a dozen cars from 10 AM till lunch, or between lunch and dinner... that was busy day.

Place was dead most of the day.

Again, the value of the labor depends on the profits. How much profit is there when your employees are standing around largely idle for half the working day? Not much. So wages are low.

How much profit is there, when the store has people waiting outside the story when the doors open, and is packed the entire day, and still has people trickling in up till closing time? Tons.
So wages are high.

There are many aspects to the value of labor. But the answer is yes, $7.25 can be way over priced. Which is why when the minimum wage went up, tons of people lost their jobs.

Statistics

Statistics

Then they should go get qualified. If there are no jobs where they are, they need to move.

It's not the Federal governments job, to bring wealth to your community.

When people immigrated here from Ireland to escape famine and joblessness... they were not doing that to come here to sit on their butts, and wait for the American government to feed them, anymore than waiting around for the British government.

They got off their butts, and moved to where the work was. And when they got here to the US, they got their butts in gear, and made a living for themselves.

This is a country where nearly anything is possible. Get qualified if you are not qualified. Get up and get moving, if there is no work where you are.

Stop sitting around waiting for something to improve, and go make something improve.

View attachment 357833

Well first, as the original poster was pointing out, the value of the salary, and the value of the labor, are both flexible.

$50,000 a year in California is practically poverty, while being almost upper class in Mississippi.

At the same time, the value of your labor changes dramatically based on a host of things.

One of the big problems with all left-wing ideology, is that they constantly rely on a one-size-fits-all theory of governance.

The tax rate the works in California, should work everywhere. The regulations that work in New Jersey, should work everywhere.

The value of a job... whatever job... is the same everywhere.

Yet in their own lives they never think this way. Your in-laws say "Why don't live your life like we do. Our system works for us!", and you say... I'm not you, and you are not me, and what works for you doesn't work for me.

Right? It's like one-size-fits-all clothing, that everyone hates.

Well this is true of $7.25/hour. Is that an inflated wage? Well it depends. I think the implication that $7.25 can't be an inflated wage, is wrong.

You can be drastically over paid at $7.25. That's why businesses lay of employees, when they are only paying them $7.25 an hour.

The value of your labor is contingent on many.

The primary factor being, what profit you earn the person you are working for.

Let me give you an example. Near where I live is a bread bakery. More like a bread factory really. That's all they do, is make bread. They have big building, and they load up trucks, and deliver bread to all the grocery stores in the area.

They also have a tiny, about the size of a studio apartment, room with a sign in the window, where you can walk in and by fresh bread right from the ovens.

At this small micro-store at the bread bakery, you can get it 30 minutes after it was removed from the ovens.

So I actually knew a girl that worked there, at this micro-store. She would come in, sit at the register, and collect money for sitting. She would get a dozen to two dozen customers in an entire day.

How much in real profit were they getting from selling at most 30 loafs of bread, while paying her minimum wage? Roughly $2 a loaf, $60, and her wage was $58 for 8 hours at $7.25... not including taxes and the cost of benefits.

And honestly, is sitting there, watching TV, with an occasional "would you like that in a bag?", and sliding a credit card on a reader, really worth $7.25 an hour? No it's not.

Now you might ask why the company had such a store at all, if they were not really making a profit. In fact, almost impossible to make a profit, if you include the overhead.

Two reasons: One, the micro store was built 30 years ago, when far fewer stores existed in the area, and thus they had a many more customers. Two is because the micro-store does serve as a sort of advertisement for the brand. People would see the store, and eventually come in out of curiosity, have some really good bread, and then end up buying their brand of bread at the regulator grocery stores.

Regardless, I think you get my point. $7.25 can be a very inflated wage. It depends on many things.

In fact, the value of the labor can differ inside a company, even with exact same jobs.

So in the 90s, I was working at Wendy's, when the minimum wage was $5.25. I think I was getting $6.50 an hour, because I was full time (+50¢/hour), and I was cashier (+25¢/hour), and because you got 25¢/hour raise every six months, and I had been there one year.

So $6.50/hour. Well I found out that the store down town was paying cashiers $10/hours an hour to start. At the time, I had no idea why they paid so much more, but it was annoying to me that other people doing the exact same job, for the exact same company, were getting paid more.

Then one night, that store sent out an SOS for help. I forget what exactly they called it, there was a term for it at that time, where a store sent out a call for help, and any store that could send over spare employees, was supposed to do so, and would be compensated by corporate.

So they sent me.

That store was packed with customers, and 2 or 3 of their employees called off. Packed. Customers everywhere. And it stayed packed right up till closing. People were still trying to enter the store, when they were flipping chairs up on tables, and turning the dining room lights off.

This was entirely different from the Suburban Wendy's I was used to. We had a lunch rush that lasted from 11:30 to 1 PM, and then a dinner stream of people from 5 PM till 7 PM. Before lunch, or between If you had a dozen cars from 10 AM till lunch, or between lunch and dinner... that was busy day.

Place was dead most of the day.

Again, the value of the labor depends on the profits. How much profit is there when your employees are standing around largely idle for half the working day? Not much. So wages are low.

How much profit is there, when the store has people waiting outside the story when the doors open, and is packed the entire day, and still has people trickling in up till closing time? Tons.
So wages are high.

There are many aspects to the value of labor. But the answer is yes, $7.25 can be way over priced. Which is why when the minimum wage went up, tons of people lost their jobs.

In your bread story, you are TOTALLY off base. The work being done by the girl is not HER value. The onus of the situation is the bad business decision of the bakery to continue to have the store despite the low number of customers and sales. The work value of the employee in the store is going to be the same for anyone you put in there due to outside influences they have zero control over. You could put Jeff Bezos in there and he would give the same amount of labor to profit ratio as the girl. So that is NOT about the wages, it is about continuing to run a business that is no longer profitable.

Statistics

Statistics

Then they should go get qualified. If there are no jobs where they are, they need to move.

It's not the Federal governments job, to bring wealth to your community.

When people immigrated here from Ireland to escape famine and joblessness... they were not doing that to come here to sit on their butts, and wait for the American government to feed them, anymore than waiting around for the British government.

They got off their butts, and moved to where the work was. And when they got here to the US, they got their butts in gear, and made a living for themselves.

This is a country where nearly anything is possible. Get qualified if you are not qualified. Get up and get moving, if there is no work where you are.

Stop sitting around waiting for something to improve, and go make something improve.

Go get qualified? With this shitty small town school system? They can't just pick up and move, they don't have the funds to do so. Hell many have long term health issues due to lack of insurance, a lot of which comes from improper diet or poor living conditions that include drinking water with lead in it from all the coal mines poisoning the water. Some of you people arguing about this REALLY need to travel Appalachia. If you did that then maybe you would understand a bit, but then again I doubt it because you have these ideas so ingrained in your mind.

Forum List

Back