ACA Could Lead Physicians to Drop Coverage of Medicare/Medicaid

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by atlasshrugged, Aug 7, 2012.

1. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Father-in-law is a Urologist who owns his own practice. This week he met with a few members of the state board of medicine about upcoming changes due to the Affordable care Act. I asked him about what changes will be made to his practice. Without even hesitating, he said "We'll have to drop it." When I inquired further, he said "Well, every Medicaid and Medicare patient I see costs me money because the gov doesn't reimburse me like private insurance companies do. The increase in Medicaid to 133% of the poverty line will drastically cut our profits, so why should I offer services at a loss?"

It turns out, this isn't an isolated case. All 3 Physicians I shadowed this week (I'm Pre Med) told me they were considering dropping gov insurance. Other than big hospitals who have cheaper operating costs, Medicaid/Medicare don't pay enough to cover the expenses of tests and procedures. The future of Medicine will shift toward large hospitals like IHC. Plenty of aspiring Physicians (myself included) are hesitant to go to school for 12 years and not have the opportunity to be self employed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Al_Fundie

Al_Fundie BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Indeed, I'm quite sure the government hasn't thought of this and won't force physicians who accept ANY insurance to accept ALL insurance. As well they should. Doctors should have to accept ANY insurance, this BS about having to find a doctor "in your network" does nothing to lessen the costs of medical care.

Come to think of it , neither does the ACA, what would help is if doctors were forced to lower their prices.

How is it that a $250 bill can suddenly be reduced to $150 when an insurance company gets involved????

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    IN KY dropping medicare/medicaid is about 1/2 of doctors business....
    In some areas they would have to leave to get customers.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ype what I would pay $250 cash for the private insurance company pays maybe $150.

5. Al_Fundie

Al_Fundie BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    And why is that? I mean if you have auto insurance and you total your car, does the insurance company go to the dealership and pay less than what a cash paying customer would for a vehicle? Of course not. So , why is medical insurance different?

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Because they can be?

7. Al_Fundie

Al_Fundie BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ah, we have a winner.

8. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You've jumped to the typical, incorrect conclusion. If Physicians are forced to accept Medicaid or, even worse, all forms of insurance, then the Gov/ Insurance Companies hold all of the cards. Then Insurance Companies decide it only costs $40 to run an X-Ray when in reality it costs $100. The Physicians should be forced to run at a loss? That's bogus. That's why Doctors accept some insurance companies but not others. Cheapo Insurance companies like Humana (they usually have reps at Wal Mart) are a pain in the butt to get payments from.

Your second mistake is to say that "Doctors should be forced to lower prices." Why? Do we force grocery stores to lower prices because of hunger? The value of a product is the price people are willing to pay. If you want Doctors to charge you less, boycott them until they do. But most importantly, Doctors charge so much and have the highest salaries because of all the crap they have to go through to practice. 8 years of post high school formal education plus 3 years of general residency and another 3 years of surgical residency. Most graduate with over $300,000 of debt. In order to put up with making no money for 14 years, people need a big carrot. If you force doctors to lower prices and take away their carrot, you'll end up with fewer doctors.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Usually because there's some perceived value in insurance companies steering their customers toward certain doctors. When the insurance companies only pay $150, the doctors don't complain too much because they know in the future that same insurance company might have a patient that needs procedures that result in a profit.

10. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Medicare is actually paying what it is worth, not the jacked up price they charge the private insurance company.
    It is the same at assisted livings etc. Medicaid pays less for a room, than a private payer would..... Because they can jack up the price for the private payer.