Abraham

Powerman said:
Really? Are you trying to tell me that the big 3 abrahamic faiths haven't had at least some negative effects on society?.

Thats not remotely close to your original statement, which I replied to. Are you changing your mind now, or just trying to obfuscate? Or are you just confused? I vote for all three.

For mr logical and mr science, you dont remain very accurate or consistent in your statements.

Powerman said:
Look at the Muslims. They're still fucking everything up. The Jews had their fair share of genocidal warfare as did the Christians. It would appear that now the only current threat is Islam but each of the Abrahamic faiths have done their fair share of assholery throughout history.

I think there are about ten ways to rip you a new asshole on this one. You want them one at a time, or all at once?

1. If you want to attack the faith, then dont attack the actions of followers of the faith. ATTACK the faith itself, its writings. Please tell me what Jesus said that you have a problem with.

2. Are you gonna tell me Christianity hasnt had a positive effect in many ways also? I mean the TRUE Christian missionaries. HINT: Its only the CHRISTIANS who are actively out in all the third world countries sacraficing their lives to help educate, feed, clothe and supply medicine to third world poverty stricken countries. Christians spread the concept of cleansing after going "to the bathroom" in much of the uncivilized world, hence stopping the spread of many, many diseases and parasites. Chrisitians who brought civility in many cultures like New Guinea where cannabalism was practiced until recently and the Aztecs/Incas/Mayans who practiced virgin sacrafice and infantacide.

3. Show me how Islam, in any way shape or form follows any of the writings of the NT OR OT, which the Jews and Christians respectively follow. THEY DONT. They have the Koran, written entirely by an arab. It has NO BASIS whatsoever in Judaism or Christianity, except they CLAIM Abraham was their father, only to give it legitimacy to the masses of arabs. They have absolutely no proof of such claim, nor do they follow the teachings of anything but the Koran. HINT: it is Islam which is the scourge of the world, Judaism and Chrisitianity have evolved to highly civilized peaceful religions, even those who wish to cause violence "iin the name of" cant get away with it anymore.

4. The ONE NATION standing in the way of nazism, communism, radical Islam, which all are guilty of MASS murderings, is a country founded BY CHRISTIANS ON CHRISTIAN BELLIEFS.
You can deny that all you want, but the overwhelming evidence proves it, and you will have to deny this evidence to arrive at your conclusions.

Its like looking at a black piece of paper, and there is one white dot.
I say, the paper is MOSTLY black,

You say, NO! Look, there is one white dot!

I say, I said MOSTLY

You ignore what I said and continue to focus on that one white dot, that one white dot has become your god, your science, your everything. You go to sleep at night clutching that one white dot. You paint your car with that one white dot, you put that one white dot on your couch, your PC, your tv, even when making love you see that one white dot on the face of the person who is the object of your affections, your children come out, white dot first.

Powerman said:
Wouldn't it be hard for him to wrestle with Jesus if Jesus had not yet been incarnated?

Jesus was with the father at the beginning. Time travel is not impossible for God. Its difficult to understand, but not untrue.

Powerman said:
My point was that all western religion stems from Abraham. No Abraham and you might not have a faith. Are you following me?

"might not"?

You are gonna blame all the worlds ills on "Might not"?????

Powerman said:
Wouldn't it be hard for him to wrestle with Jesus if Jesus had not yet been incarnated?

Let us make man in our own image.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Jesus is known as 'The Word' of God by biblical scholars.

It's quite Clear Jesus always has been, just like God.

Your biggest obstacle is your unwillingness to shed your earthly ideas of what is possible. Your cynicism defines you.

LuvRPgrl said:
Jesus was with the father at the beginning. Time travel is not impossible for God. Its difficult to understand, but not untrue.

He was with the father. Not incarnated as man. Unless you know something that the rest of the Christians in the world don't know.

LuvRPgrl said:
"might not"?

You are gonna blame all the worlds ills on "Might not"?????

Umm no. I was saying without Abraham you might not believe what you believe because no one would have ever told it to you. Unless of course you are assuming that God would choose someone else later.

2. Are you gonna tell me Christianity hasnt had a positive effect in many ways also? I mean the TRUE Christian missionaries. HINT: Its only the CHRISTIANS who are actively out in all the third world countries sacraficing their lives to help educate, feed, clothe and supply medicine to third world poverty stricken countries.

Yes and I have acknowledged that before. Christianity presently does some great things. I will happily admit that if you're going to be a person of faith then Christianity is probably the best one to go by.

as a serious question about faith. There is nothing in my Hindu faith that would ever require or demand that someone sacrifice his/her own child. This made me very curious about the view of the Abrahamic religions. As you say, it's obvious that religions--particularly these three--have done their share of evil in the world. But they have also done amazing good. The emphasis in Judaism that you have to reason your way through scripture has created an incredibly thoughtful and intelligent group of followers. The premise in Christianity that each person is valuable to God has probably given more people the courage to get up in the morning than any other idea in history. The ideas of Islam (which LuvRPgirl completely distorts) have been equally valuable in quelling tribal emnities, persuading the rich to give to the poor, and advancing the cause of science over several hundred years when the rest of the world had lost the Greco-Roman thread. Just as many peopel attest to the inner peace brought by this religion as by Christianity.

I agree that all 3 seem also have a violent element. Elsewhere, I've noted that from a Hindu point of view, they look far more alike than different. They're like siblings.

So, everyone, how about back to the original question. Would you kill your own child if your God told you to?

A corollary question--how would you feel about someone else killing her child because her different god told her to?

Mariner.

Nice response...on a serious note I don't think I could do it. I would like to think that God is good. So if my God told me to do such a thing I would think it was some weird demon lying to me so I wouldn't do it. And if I really thought it was God telling me to do that then I would have problems with God. I couldn't kill my own child to satisfy a greedy God.

Which is one thing I never understood...what could a God possibly have to gain by you sacrificing anything? The idea of sacrificing things to a supreme being is in and of itself illogical IMO.

Powerman said:
My point was that all western religion stems from Abraham. No Abraham and you might not have a faith. Are you following me?

LIAR. That wasnt your only point. You also said it was "cancerous" or some such thing. If it didnt carry that negative descriptor you attatched to it, then why would it matter to you? LIAR.

Powerman said:

Nope, its already been explained to you. Are you really that stupid? I guess when you said some people on this board were "fucking idiots" it was a self description.

Powerman said:
Umm no. I was saying without Abraham you might not believe what you believe because no one would have ever told it to you. Unless of course you are assuming that God would choose someone else later.

Yea, I think he would have done that.

Hey, but since you dont believe in a God, then all the shit that you blame on him, you gotta blame on mankind, right? So its not even religions fault, its the people who created the bogus idea of religion, and the bogus stories in the bogus Bible. So why do you cuss at God, if he doesnt even exist?

When are you gonna start blaming men for the evil that goes on? Why dont you cuss them out?

Funny that you would blame people for all the evil, but then cuss at a non existent being for all the evil. Are you on prozac or something?

Mariner said:
as a serious question about faith. There is nothing in my Hindu faith that would ever require or demand that someone sacrifice his/her own child. This made me very curious about the view of the Abrahamic religions. As you say, it's obvious that religions--particularly these three--have done their share of evil in the world. But they have also done amazing good. The emphasis in Judaism that you have to reason your way through scripture has created an incredibly thoughtful and intelligent group of followers. The premise in Christianity that each person is valuable to God has probably given more people the courage to get up in the morning than any other idea in history. The ideas of Islam (which LuvRPgirl completely distorts) have been equally valuable in quelling tribal emnities, persuading the rich to give to the poor, and advancing the cause of science over several hundred years when the rest of the world had lost the Greco-Roman thread. Just as many peopel attest to the inner peace brought by this religion as by Christianity.

I agree that all 3 seem also have a violent element. Elsewhere, I've noted that from a Hindu point of view, they look far more alike than different. They're like siblings.

So, everyone, how about back to the original question. Would you kill your own child if your God told you to?

A corollary question--how would you feel about someone else killing her child because her different god told her to?

Mariner.

If you are gonna slander me, have the balls to say what it is I distort.
Have you quit beating your wife?
I dont distort Islam at all, in fact, I rarely speak of Islam. I do speak of Mohamed, he is a historical figure.
again, please have the balls to present here what I supposedly distorted.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Its a disengenuous and foolish question. God would never ask us to kill our own child, unless the child had done something to deserve the death penalty.

I could ask the same question of your Hindu faith, suppose it told you to be a homosexual, would you give up women and become a fudge packer?

Powerman said:
Nice response...on a serious note I don't think I could do it. I would like to think that God is good. So if my God told me to do such a thing I would think it was some weird demon lying to me so I wouldn't do it. And if I really thought it was God telling me to do that then I would have problems with God. I couldn't kill my own child to satisfy a greedy God.

Which is one thing I never understood...what could a God possibly have to gain by you sacrificing anything? The idea of sacrificing things to a supreme being is in and of itself illogical IMO.

Yea, you are alot smarter than God, all hail powerman....NOT!

Kathianne said:
And I find it telling that a bunch of atheists, agnostics spend much of their time hanging on a religious board and hassling believers. Really bothers you guys, doesn't it? :laugh: What ARE you afraid of? :dev2:
There is no such thing as a dead atheist... think about it...

Forum List

Back