Abortion as a States Rights Issue

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by jwoodie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    REGARDLESS of its merits, this issue is killing the GOP among a large group of American women voters. Short of ignoring the issue, which is a moral imperative for many people, the only other way to approach it in a salable manner is to make it a States Rights issue.

This would allow the 60% majority who favor some restrictions on abortions to express their views within their states while allowing a plausible escape hatch for the other 40% who could travel to another state if necessary. (Contrary to popular propaganda, state laws do not extend across borders to other states.)

2. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Its a right, guaranteed by our Constitution.

Control of one's own body is a human right.

It is NOT the right of others to control the bodies of others.

Get the goddamned R out of our bedrooms and our private lives. Believe what you wish on this and **other issues, but just as I do not have the right to control YOUR body, you do not have the right to control mine.

** such as, assisted suicide

3. RosieS

RosieS Partisan Courtesan Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747
    The right to an abortion is a Federal law and Federal law trumps state law. All this is is a transparent attempt to dismantle Roe v. Wade incrementally. The GOP does not give womb owners credit for intelligence and thus they keep losing the female voter.

Stay out of wombs. You all do not belong there. Sic semper bullies.

Regards from Rosie

4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,932
    Under what part of the constitution is abortion a right? I keep trying to find it, but I never can.

5. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,932
    There has never actually been a law passed making abortion legal, all Roe v Wade does is prevent states from banning it prior to a certain time.

If abortion on demand is so popular, why is there no federal law making it legal?

6. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Libberhoids - soft on terrorists.
    Tough on fetuses.

Run with it, asswipes

7. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    The same could have been said for the Dred Scott and Separate But Equal decisions of the Supreme Court. I assume you support/defend all of its other decisions too?

8. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    If you believe that a fetus is a human being and therefore entitled to protection under our legal system, then the argumnets against abortion melt away. Is it a case of the government controling your body? Yes of course. But there are laws against using your body to harm another human being (it's called assault). So if the government can control the way you use your fists in order to protect another human being, then the government has every right to ban an abortion which, many believe, kills another human being.

In terms of the issue's impact on the GOP, I agree. It is killing them with many voters - not just women. But don't we also criticize people who have no convictions? Who just pander to whatever is popular?

I'm not Republican by any stretch of the imagination. But if anti-abortion is their conviction, then I believe they should stick to it and do their best to convince others that their position is the correct one. Not just cede leadership on the issue to their opponents.

Viewing the issue in that light, I think, removes it from the "states' rights" table. Is it legal in ANY state to murder another human being? I know murder is a strong word and in cases of rape, incest, or health of the mother perhaps justifiable homicide is a better term. But taking a human life without justification other than it is more convenient for you to have that person dead ... well ... what else would you call it?
    Just MHO

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    Care to point that out for us?

How about the right to use one's own body to labor without having the fruits of that labor stolen by central planners? How about the right to control what one puts in their body? Your President Obama disagrees with your premise.

So you stand against taxing a person's labor?

But you have the right to make me pay for your body and your choices?

Your hypocrisy is overwhelming.

10. Defiant1

Defiant1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +983
    A more apropos analogy would be that liberals want women to be able to hire assassins to murder their unborn children and have you and I pay for the hit.