Abandoned Houses of Detroit.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Detroit's population has fallen steadily since the heyday of the auto industry in the 1950s, when it peaked around two million, to just a little over 700,000 in 2010. Disappearing jobs and burgeoning mortgage has driven even stable, middle-class families to the suburbs leaving thousands and thousands of homes and properties behind. According the Census Bureau, the number of vacant housing units doubled in the past decade to nearly 80,000, more than one-fifth of the city's housing stock. Even though the city has been demolishing about 1,000 broken-down houses a year, they can’t keep up with the rate at which families are abandoning them.

Photographer Kevin Bauman through his project 100 Abandoned Houses brings attention to the problem of vacant properties in Detroit.

• Banned
DD5C86B0-75A7-4B0C-A833-34C341447F58.jpeg

799EA354-79D2-4C65-93A6-458B7E014191.jpeg

0C09BBC3-5BBA-49B7-9C9A-394258D4699D.jpeg

How are things these days? Has it improved?

Detroit's population has fallen steadily since the heyday of the auto industry in the 1950s, when it peaked around two million, to just a little over 700,000 in 2010. Disappearing jobs and burgeoning mortgage has driven even stable, middle-class families to the suburbs leaving thousands and thousands of homes and properties behind. According the Census Bureau, the number of vacant housing units doubled in the past decade to nearly 80,000, more than one-fifth of the city's housing stock. Even though the city has been demolishing about 1,000 broken-down houses a year, they can’t keep up with the rate at which families are abandoning them.

Photographer Kevin Bauman through his project 100 Abandoned Houses brings attention to the problem of vacant properties in Detroit.

Another thing that scared the 1st World Middle Class out of town was the out-of-control crime rate of the 3rd Worlders that run the joint.

I used to live in South Mpls, not far from Lake Street, back in the '80s before I moved way out to the exurbs.

I wouldn't return to my old neighborhood in broad daylight today.

In the 80's and early 90's in NYC some neighborhoods were 100% "no go" during even the day. From the 2000's to the end of the 2010's at least in daytime no area was totally unsafe. We are now heading back to the previous situation.

Really a shame. Those houses are quite a treasure historically and archetecturally. They're still there in worse condition. what a shame...but who wants to live in that rat hole.

The biggest problem they have are their millage fees which are the fees they tack onto the tax bills. The state caps the tax rates so they bypass it with these add-ons for everything under the sun. They drive the home ownership burden up to close to 10% of assessed value per year.

I was enthralled. Thankyou.
If you are interested in, "real America," check out some of that guys other videos. This guy is actually FROM San Francisco. . .

He has three vids on it, and does some work on why it has gotten so bad there. . .

This is his most popular video, followed up by one in Alaska, about a whole town that lives in one building. . .

Poorest Region of America - What It Really Looks Like 🇺🇸

17,872,832 views Jul 15, 2023 APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS
Southern West Virginia to Eastern Kentucky is the largest region of economically distressed counties in the country. In many ways, it's a different America here. But what's it feel like to travel through this region in Appalachia and what do the locals have to say? Join me on this epic road trip to find out.

If you are interested in, "real America," check out some of that guys other videos. This guy is actually FROM San Francisco. . .

He has three vids on it, and does some work on why it has gotten so bad there. . .

This is his most popular video, followed up by one in Alaska, about a whole town that lives in one building. . .

Poorest Region of America - What It Really Looks Like 🇺🇸

17,872,832 views Jul 15, 2023 APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS
Southern West Virginia to Eastern Kentucky is the largest region of economically distressed counties in the country. In many ways, it's a different America here. But what's it feel like to travel through this region in Appalachia and what do the locals have to say? Join me on this epic road trip to find out.

I’ve started following him.

He’s been called the American version of this guy: Bald and Bankrupt.

Forum List

Back