A Year of Liberal Double Standards

They call themselves Progressives and have been spewing the same nonsense for 50 years. lol.

That's an interesting comment, given that conservatives would like to repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

conservative republicans passed the civil rights act. you really need a refresher in recent US history. The liberal dems fillibustered against it.

Not true. The Conservative Coalition opposed the Civil Rights act.

Hmmmm, was Robert KKK Byrd (D) a member of it?

Zell Miller (D) was working for Lester Maddox at the time. Does that make Zell Miller a liberal?

zell Miller left the dem party. That makes him a smart man.

Sums it up rather nicely!!!!:eusa_whistle:

SNIP:
Many conservatives finished the year angry about the same thing they were angry about at the beginning of the year: liberal double standards.

As I write this, GOP House whip Steve Scalise is in hot water over reports that he spoke to a group of racist poltroons in Louisiana twelve years ago. Whether it was an honest mistake, as Scalise plausibly claims, or a sign of something more nefarious, as his detractors hope, remains to be seen.

But one common response on social media is instructive. Countless conservatives want to know: Why the double standard? Barack Obama was friends with a domestic terrorist, Bill Ayers. His spiritual mentor was a vitriolic racist, Jeremiah Wright. One of his administration’s closest advisers and allies is Al Sharpton, a man who has inspired enough racial violence to make a grand dragon’s white sheets turn green with envy.

Meanwhile, the Democratic party venerated the late senator Robert Byrd, a former Klansman himself. He was one of 19 senators (all Democrats) to sign the Southern Manifesto opposing integration. One of his co-signers was William Fulbright, Bill Clinton’s mentor.
When Republicans are in power, “dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” When Democrats are in power, dissent is the racist fuming of “angry white men.”

Peaceful, law-abiding tea-party groups who cleaned up after their protests — and got legal permits for them — were signs of nascent fascism lurking in the American soul. Violent, anarchic, and illegal protests by Occupy Wall Street a few years ago or, more recently, in Ferguson, Mo., were proof that a new idealistic generation was renewing its commitment to idealism.
When rich conservatives give money to Republicans, it is a sign that the whole system has been corrupted by fat cats. When it is revealed that liberal billionaires and left-wing super PACs outspent conservative groups in 2014: crickets.

When Republicans invoke God or religious faith as an inspiration for their political views, it’s threatening and creepy. When Democrats do it, it’s a sign they believe in social justice.
One can do this all day long. But while examples are easy, explanations are hard.
I don’t know who first said, “Behind every apparent double standard lies an unconfessed single standard” (and as far as I can tell, neither does the Internet), but whoever did was onto something.

What looks like inexplicably staggering hypocrisy from the conservative perspective is actually remarkably consistent from the liberal perspective.

Well, “perspective” is probably the wrong word because it implies a conscious, deliberate, philosophical point of view. What is really at work is better understood as bias, even bigotry.
If you work from the dogmatic assumption that liberalism is morally infallible and that liberals are, by definition, pitted against sinister and — more importantly — powerful forces, then it’s easy to explain away what seem like double standards.

Any lapse, error, or transgression by conservatives is evidence of their real nature, while similar lapses, errors, and transgressions by liberals are trivial when balanced against the fact that their hearts are in the right place.

Despite controlling the commanding heights of the culture — journalism, Hollywood, the arts, academia, and vast swaths of the corporate America they denounce — liberals have convinced themselves they are pitted against deeply entrenched powerful forces and that being a liberal is somehow brave. Obama, the twice-elected president of the United States, to this day speaks as if he’s some kind of underdog.

ALL of it here:
A Year of Liberal Double Standards National Review Online
Conservatives ended up the year being angry. Color me surprised.

And I suppose they didn't have any right to be angry?
How many times can a person be accused of being a RACIST before it pisses them off?
jeeze

They call themselves Progressives and have been spewing the same nonsense for 50 years. lol.

That's an interesting comment, given that conservatives would like to repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
This is what I said. Make it 51 years of progression. Happy New Year.

A core component of the 1964 civil rights act was the mandate that businesses cannot refuse service to someone because of their color.

The near unanimous assertion by conservatives on this forum is that businesses should be able to refuse service to anyone they please, for any reason.

That is de facto a desire to repeal the 1964 civil rights act.

Except Rand Paul found out that it's okay to foment about it on an anonymous message board...but don't actually say it out loud on television where it is recorded for all time.

Rand Paul’s rewriting of his own remarks on the Civil Rights Act

The only thing they have changed in 51 years is calling soldiers returning home from Vietnam, "Baby Killers," to demanding they kill their own babies.
We would never do that. We need cannon fodder and liberal kids are way too smart to go off and die for whatever capitalist venture we're into now. Only Con-kids believe they are protecting America by killing people who just happen to have lots of oil, on the other side of the fucking planet.
Going off as cannon fodder is a good thing. Wars are good things. They all contribute to killing off this disease known as mankind.
After you, my dear.

SNIP:
Many conservatives finished the year angry about the same thing they were angry about at the beginning of the year: liberal double standards.

As I write this, GOP House whip Steve Scalise is in hot water over reports that he spoke to a group of racist poltroons in Louisiana twelve years ago. Whether it was an honest mistake, as Scalise plausibly claims, or a sign of something more nefarious, as his detractors hope, remains to be seen.

But one common response on social media is instructive. Countless conservatives want to know: Why the double standard? Barack Obama was friends with a domestic terrorist, Bill Ayers. His spiritual mentor was a vitriolic racist, Jeremiah Wright. One of his administration’s closest advisers and allies is Al Sharpton, a man who has inspired enough racial violence to make a grand dragon’s white sheets turn green with envy.

Meanwhile, the Democratic party venerated the late senator Robert Byrd, a former Klansman himself. He was one of 19 senators (all Democrats) to sign the Southern Manifesto opposing integration. One of his co-signers was William Fulbright, Bill Clinton’s mentor.
When Republicans are in power, “dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” When Democrats are in power, dissent is the racist fuming of “angry white men.”

Peaceful, law-abiding tea-party groups who cleaned up after their protests — and got legal permits for them — were signs of nascent fascism lurking in the American soul. Violent, anarchic, and illegal protests by Occupy Wall Street a few years ago or, more recently, in Ferguson, Mo., were proof that a new idealistic generation was renewing its commitment to idealism.
When rich conservatives give money to Republicans, it is a sign that the whole system has been corrupted by fat cats. When it is revealed that liberal billionaires and left-wing super PACs outspent conservative groups in 2014: crickets.

When Republicans invoke God or religious faith as an inspiration for their political views, it’s threatening and creepy. When Democrats do it, it’s a sign they believe in social justice.
One can do this all day long. But while examples are easy, explanations are hard.
I don’t know who first said, “Behind every apparent double standard lies an unconfessed single standard” (and as far as I can tell, neither does the Internet), but whoever did was onto something.

What looks like inexplicably staggering hypocrisy from the conservative perspective is actually remarkably consistent from the liberal perspective.

Well, “perspective” is probably the wrong word because it implies a conscious, deliberate, philosophical point of view. What is really at work is better understood as bias, even bigotry.
If you work from the dogmatic assumption that liberalism is morally infallible and that liberals are, by definition, pitted against sinister and — more importantly — powerful forces, then it’s easy to explain away what seem like double standards.

Any lapse, error, or transgression by conservatives is evidence of their real nature, while similar lapses, errors, and transgressions by liberals are trivial when balanced against the fact that their hearts are in the right place.

Despite controlling the commanding heights of the culture — journalism, Hollywood, the arts, academia, and vast swaths of the corporate America they denounce — liberals have convinced themselves they are pitted against deeply entrenched powerful forces and that being a liberal is somehow brave. Obama, the twice-elected president of the United States, to this day speaks as if he’s some kind of underdog.

ALL of it here:

How many times can a person be accused of being a RACIST before it pisses them off?
jeeze
If you personally are not racist...it's only words that you would know are wrong. Why do you get so bent out of shape?

The only thing they have changed in 51 years is calling soldiers returning home from Vietnam, "Baby Killers," to demanding they kill their own babies.
We would never do that. We need cannon fodder and liberal kids are way too smart to go off and die for whatever capitalist venture we're into now. Only Con-kids believe they are protecting America by killing people who just happen to have lots of oil, on the other side of the fucking planet.
Going off as cannon fodder is a good thing. Wars are good things. They all contribute to killing off this disease known as mankind.
After you, my dear.
lol

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

Funny...most people go their whole lives without being accused of being racist. Stop being racist or saying racist things and you won't get called racist.

PATIENT: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
DOCTOR: "Stop doing that"

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze
If you personally are not racist...it's only words that you would know are wrong. Why do you get so bent out of shape?
Some people are offended by lies. Go figure.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

Funny...most people go their whole lives without being accused of being racist. Stop being racist or saying racist things and you won't get called racist.

Well you could stop being an ass and you wouldn't be accused of being one with post such as that one.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

There's a great story about LBJ I read once. He was running for some lesser office in state politics and he accused his opponent of something.
"But that's not true!" His advisers told him.
"It doesn't matter if it's true or not," LBJ replied, "We just want him to deny it." ;)

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

don't you think accusations of racism are tossed about too freely?

Too slow, too much suffering, too expensive. There are better ways.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

They don't care. it works on shutting up some of the people. But I do believe most has now caught onto it and could give a shit less being accused of being one. At least I have...they can't stand that.:badgrin:

Too slow, too much suffering, too expensive. There are better ways.
They are a disease and deserve to suffer.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

Well you could stop being an ass and you wouldn't be accused of being one with post such as that one.

Ah, but I don't mind being called an ass, especially when I am being one. You obviously don't like that the GOP is called racist a lot. You know how you stop that from happening? Stop giving the racists a safe place to be racist. Just friendly advice, you don't have to take it.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

Not as much as I think racism is still too prevalent.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

jeeze

Ah, but I don't mind being called an ass, especially when I am being one. You obviously don't like that the GOP is called racist a lot. You know how you stop that from happening? Stop giving the racists a safe place to be racist. Just friendly advice, you don't have to take it.

I've lived 60 years nothing you accuse me of means anything to me. Just worry about yourself. and hey if I recall, you call people who are straight, hetros. some might find that OFFENSIVE but we won't refer to that as DOUBLE STANDARDS
Now carry on little missy

Last edited:

Forum List

Back