A Vent/Beyond Politics and Racism

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
DeKalb County, GA---location of yesterday's violent incident at McNair Learning Academy.

--current CEO indicted--assorted corrupt practices
--last spring county placed on probation for inability of school board to function

-interim superintendent appointed--says metal detectors will go into all elementary schools--already in middle and high schools

-NAACP considering a lawsuit --racism because parents wish to exercise the option to form a charter school and not be restricted by the county--

--a number of charter schools of some kind in other areas of the county--not an issue.

--proposals for cities are being considered--2 in my area. whether or not these cities would be workable--I cannot yet say. Further north another community did this and it is working pretty well--the legislature would have to rule on a proposal to set up an autonomous school system. There is a precedent for that. Works very well.

--apparently this was done long ago in AL and there are inherent problems, fwiw

-the people involved with these plans have lived in the community for decades, well-educated, socially as 'liberal' as people should be--a good quality of life is the objective--and alternatives must be considered.

I cannot care less what the NAACP wants/says. They can say it, file a lawsuit and know in advance that some of the best attorneys will be representing the other side.

This was once 'the best' school system in the state--in the 60's. Desegregation---the county was monitored by the federal government for one thing or the other until somewhere in the 90's.

If I have a point--I guess it is--does the NAACP seriously think this is racism? Yes, it seems that they do. It is a waste of time to 'take it to court' but sounds like that will happen.

Forum List

Back