A Truly Spooky Aircraft

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
BACN-WB-57F-side-460x185.jpg

This may be what I saw taking off from Nellis AFB some time back. Replaces the U-2 or SRB-71?

BACN-WB-57F-side-460x185.jpg

This may be what I saw taking off from Nellis AFB some time back. Replaces the U-2 or SRB-71?

That's just an old B-57 Canberra bomber from back in the 1950's or early 60's. It may have been updated for some mission, but it's still an obsolete airframe.

Last edited:
OldGuy, it looks like you're good at aircraft I.D. AND you were in Nam so can I ask you a question? Did you ever see a Camo B-58 when you were there?

OldGuy, it looks like you're good at aircraft I.D. AND you were in Nam so can I ask you a question? Did you ever see a Camo B-58 when you were there?

B-fifty EIGHT?

No, I didn't see any kind of B-58 there.
I don't know how story started but some aviation people have said there were two B-58 Hustlers in theater at various times to provide a nuclear response, both of which were Camo.
But of course anyone I ask who was actually over there had never even heard of such a thing.

It was a long shot but thanks for replying anyway. :)

B-fifty EIGHT?

No, I didn't see any kind of B-58 there.
I don't know how story started but some aviation people have said there were two B-58 Hustlers in theater at various times to provide a nuclear response, both of which were Camo.
But of course anyone I ask who was actually over there had never even heard of such a thing.

It was a long shot but thanks for replying anyway. :)

I suppose it's possible some were there as they did not actually leave the inventory until 1970, when they were replaced by the FB-111. Because SAM anti-aircraft missiles came out just about the same time as the B-58, they were relegated to low level, subsonic missions which, I suppose, would have been the plan for dropping a nuke on North Vietnam, the most heavily defended airspace ever.

While I did not get to Vietnam until November, 1970, and spent most of my time far out in the boonies and well away from big airfields, I cannot say with any certainty that they were never there. But, it seems plausible during the early days of the war.

ps: I did little research and came up with this about Operation Bullseye.

https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/category/history/page/3/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back