CDZ A Suggestion for Choosing a Candidate....

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
Obviously the next three months are going to see this board filled with thousands of threads suggesting people vote for one candidate or another.

I'm going to suggest a different tact for people: A reading list and some homework to help each person make the best choice according to your own beliefs.

The reading list:
The US Constitution and Amendments
The Federalist Papers
The Anti Federalist Papers

Homework:
Look at the biographies of the candidates (not autobiographies or ghost written materials).
Look at the criminal records of the candidates.
Look at the private sector work experience of the candidates
Look at the voting records of the candidates.
Look at the legislation proposed or signed onto by the candidates.

DO NOT TRUST sources connected to the parties, the candidates or anyone directly associated with either.

The reading list should give you an idea of how you believe the country should operate.
Once you've done that reading and thecresearch, choose the candidate who your research says most closely associates with your vision of the country and Government.

Obviously the next three months are going to see this board filled with thousands of threads suggesting people vote for one candidate or another.

I'm going to suggest a different tact for people: A reading list and some homework to help each person make the best choice according to your own beliefs.

The reading list:
The Federalist Papers

Homework:
Look at the biographies of the candidates (not autobiographies or ghost written materials).

DO NOT TRUST sources connected to the parties, the candidates or anyone directly associated with either.

The reading list should give you an idea of how you believe the country should operate.
Once you've done that reading and thecresearch, choose the candidate who your research says most closely associates with your vision of the country and Government.
Brainwashing ... how funny.

Your word for the day is BRAINWASHING:

brain·wash
ˈbrānˌwôSH,ˈbrānˌwäSH/indoctrinate, condition, reeducate, persuade, influence, propagandize, inculcate
"the evidence is compelling that these cult members were indeed brainwashed"

Translate brainwashing to

Use over time for: brainwashing
upload_2016-7-31_20-13-35.png

The reading list:
The Federalist Papers

Homework:

brain·wash
ˈbrānˌwôSH,ˈbrānˌwäSH/indoctrinate, condition, reeducate, persuade, influence, propagandize, inculcate

View attachment 83861

Dude...did you recently have a close encounter with a dictionary? LOL This is the second time I've seen you recently take on this "word of the day" approach to sharing your ideas...

I several essential documents have, IMO, been omitted from your suggested reading list. Among them and in order:
  1. Principles of Macroeconomics
  2. Political Philosophy: Methodology
  3. Social Contract Theory

With due respect, none of those documents are essential to the understanding of the foundational theories of this nation, which in my opinion is the vital part of what voters,should be determining their votes by.

Patriotism is nice, worthwhile even, but it's hardly the be-all-end-all to sage economic and political decision making.

Patriotism is nice, worthwhile even, but it's hardly the be-all-end-all to sage economic and political decision making.

It is the be-all-ebd-all of Americanism; the philosophy which this nation was founded on. If people prefer other philosophies, I'm sure there are other nations that would be more to their tastes.

I several essential documents have, IMO, been omitted from your suggested reading list. Among them and in order:

With due respect, none of those documents are essential to the understanding of the foundational theories of this nation, which in my opinion is the vital part of what voters,should be determining their votes by.

Frankly, I don't care if one is patriotic. I care that one is well informed and that one is well disciplined and exercised in one's thought processes. Reading the Constitution, Federalist Papers and Anti-Federalist Papers will give one a great awareness of what the Founders intended. It won't give one any sense of whether or where they may have been mistaken, misguided, misanthropic, or moved by a countervailing need to compromise. Additionally, those documents won't give one the faintest idea of how to analyze and apply in a modern context the principles promulgated by their Age of Enlightenment writers.

The reading list:
The Federalist Papers

Homework:

brain·wash

View attachment 83861

Dude...did you recently have a close encounter with a dictionary? LOL This is the second time I've seen you recently take on this "word of the day" approach to sharing your ideas...
The O/P is trying to brainwash us.

This beautiful sp!c and span word evolved during the Korean War.

It perfectly describes the O/P's strategy.

It is the be-all-ebd-all of Americanism; the philosophy which this nation was founded on. If people prefer other philosophies, I'm sure there are other nations that would be more to their tastes.
The Nation was founded on a tax rebellion veiled as a revolution of representative government.

It was a complicated issue since no one man's judgment would be sacrosanct as king for leadership purposes.

Thus a complex system of separation of powers with checks and balances in order to ensure the success of representative government needed to be created -- but that was later -- AFTER the Articles Of Confederation FAILED to do the job.

Insofar as you have written the above, I think you need to read the following:
How the heck can one expect to understand well the Constitution if one doesn't ken its underpinnings, the dominant political thought that guided its writers?

With due respect, none of those documents are essential to the understanding of the foundational theories of this nation, which in my opinion is the vital part of what voters should be determining their votes by.
Grammar moment --

"None is ...".

None is not plural since there aren't any.

Thus you cannot say "None are ...".

None of your reading list is worth a poop either though.

And none of your attempts at brainwashing anybody is going to save Trump's azz now.

He needs a miracle to win, and miracles are very rare.

What does God have to gain by granting Trump a miracle ??

And even the Pope has commented that Trump is no Christian -- bad press for a Protestant.

Given the following, at least three of your "homework assignments" are irrelevant for by performing them one will gain no information that allows for a cogent comparative analysis of the two Presidential candidates.

As far as I can tell, neither of Presidential has a criminal record.

The voting record of only one Presidential candidate is publicly available.

Only one Presidential candidate has ever proposed and/or voted (signed) on specific legislation.​

Insofar as you have written the above, I think you need to read the fofollowin

.....How the heck can one expect to understand well the Constitution if one doesn't ken its underpinnings, the dominant political thought that guided its writers?

I come from a family that was here at the time this,nation was founded. We bled and killed to bring about the birth of this nation.

I've also found that any document which is not written in plain enough language to be read by the common man (as I believe our Constitution is) has little to no value.

Given the following, at least three of your "homework assignments" are irrelevant for by performing them one will gain no information that allows for a cogent comparative analysis of the two Presidential candidates.

Maybe the fact that only one has a political record and other lyrics the other has a private business record is relevant to people. I know it's incredibly relevant to me, and I'm not voting for either of them.

Insofar as you have written the above, I think you need to read the fofollowin

.....How the heck can one expect to understand well the Constitution if one doesn't ken its underpinnings, the dominant political thought that guided its writers?

I come from a family that was here at the time this,nation was founded. We bled and killed to bring about the birth of this nation.

I've also found that any document which is not written in plain enough language to be read by the common man (as I believe our Constitution is) has little to no value.

Red:
So what? What has that to do with the topic at hand?

Why did you bring up your lineage? Are you intimating that you have contacted a psychic and channeled your dead relatives to find out what was the thinking "on the street" in the 1780s?

Blue:
What has that to do with the topic at hand? What has the writing style of any document to do with what one should read or not read prior to casting a Presidential vote?

Red:
So what? What has that to do with the topic at hand?

Why did you bring up your lineage? Are you intimating that you have contacted a psychic and channeled your dead relatives to find out what was the thinking "on the street" in the 1780s?

Blue:
What has that to do with the topic at hand? What has the writing style of any document to do with what one should read or not read prior to casting a Presidential vote?

Red: I don't need a psychic. I have 200+ years of family oral history handed down generation to generstion.

As for what you that has value: Unless it has been amended relative to a certain topic, the US Constitution is still the only legitimate determiner for Federal Law and Spending. What it meant back then is therefore of vital importance when determining the best candidate for POTUS.

Blue: The US Constitution is 8 pages long. Slightly longer with Amendments. It's written in plain language. Anyone who needs documents other than the two additional items I mentioned to understand it is likely not fit to vote in my mind.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back