A Step In The Right Direction

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Britain's largest Sunni group has issued a fatwa - a binding religious edict - condemning the 7 July bombings in London.

In Birmingham, Jama'at e Ahl e Sunnat, or the Sunni Council, said the bombings were against Islam, adding that any type of attack was against the Quran.

"Who has given anyone the right to kill others? It is a sin. Anyone who commits suicide will be sent to Hell," said Mufti Muhammad Gul Rehman Qadri, the council's chairman.

"What happened in London can be seen as a sacrilege. It is a sin to take your life or the life of others."

The council also targeted terror groups, who influence others to do their bidding, in the fatwa.

"Leaving aside the atrocities being committed in Palestine and Iraq, the attacks in London have no Islamic justification, are totally condemned and we equally condemn those who may have been behind the masterminding of these acts, those who incited these youths in order to further their own perverted ideology," the group's fatwa said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/95B76BB6-C50C-4789-A836-303DFDDDFD74.htm

I think they begin to understand that in order to keep their freedoms they will need to deal with this issue internally and quickly. Implicit agreement through silence is no longer acceptible and is effectively associating all Muslims with the extremists.

As Zman says--a step in the right direction and one that people have been screaming for for years now. Let's see what happens in Great Britain.

Abbey Normal said:
Hmmm. Does anyone recall a similar statment after 9-11? I don't.

i seem to recall chearing and dancing in the streets.....we invaded those folks....looks like they are taking a different tact this time

archangel said:
well boys and girls don't hold your breath...the first sentence on the last paragraph summed it up...they are just protecting their interest in London...heaven forbid they would be harrassed at home...gemmee a break...
same old same old!
:ali: NOT!

I'm with you on this angel.....until that sentence I was thinking "well, it's about time they starting renouncing the terrorists". Then I read this sentence.....

Leaving aside the atrocities being committed in Palestine and Iraq, the attacks in London have no Islamic justification.

Are there times when attacks DO have an Islamic justification?

I think one has to understand that there's difference between Muslims living in the United States and in some cases Canada to Europe. I many cases, the communities are extremely integrated. I remember when I was visiting Germany with my decidedly "Aryan" looking friend, his whole entourage was either Turkish-Muslim.

Given that communities in Europe are so dense, I believe that the greater interaction provides a positive sense of community, while in the US and sometimes in Canada, we often ghettoize our minorities. Something which I think has lead to the great disconnect.

I, of course, would never suggest this as an apology for racism either way, but when a society truly integrates, it does most often stabalize.

Isaac Brock said:
I think one has to understand that there's difference between Muslims living in the United States and in some cases Canada to Europe. I many cases, the communities are extremely integrated. I remember when I was visiting Germany with my decidedly "Aryan" looking friend, his whole entourage was either Turkish-Muslim.

Given that communities in Europe are so dense, I believe that the greater interaction provides a positive sense of community, while in the US and sometimes in Canada, we often ghettoize our minorities. Something which I think has lead to the great disconnect.

I, of course, would never suggest this as an apology for racism either way, but when a society truly integrates, it does most often stabalize.
Actually, I tend to agree to an extent. My question is... do we "gettoize" tehm or do they do it to themselves by congregating in closed communities and not assimilating?

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, I tend to agree to an extent. My question is... do we "gettoize" tehm or do they do it to themselves by congregating in closed communities and not assimilating?

I cannot speak for the American example, but in Canada, immigrants flock to the major cities where they undoubtably are closer to other immigrants from the same locals. I think we, as host countries, have lots of opportunity to force the hand of where immigrants go, for they are guest firstmost in our country. Canada has problem with ghettoized communities such as the Tamil Tigers in Toronto and the Asian gangs in Vancouver.

I know Canada has a few pilot projects to place immigrants in areas which are crying for new labour. This is traditionally is small communities, and intergration rates of these communities have been amazing, where both community and immigrant become one.

Interestingly, though slightly off-topic, Canada is reviving francaphonie in much the same way having French Africans and Arabs settle in small towns in Quebec and the Acadie. The success rate is quite well.

Forum List

Back