A scientific dissent from Darwinism

I hear it all the time. About how evolution is a confirmed fact. Well, many scientists disagree. Here is a list of over 500 scientists who have risked their careers by bucking the establishment and signing this list.

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=660

How many scientists are there in the world? In other words, is this a major group or a statistically insignificant minority?

I would be willing to be that you could find a number of scientists that believe the world is flat too.

I hear it all the time. About how evolution is a confirmed fact. Well, many scientists disagree. Here is a list of over 500 scientists who have risked their careers by bucking the establishment and signing this list.

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=660
Ooh...a list!

Evolution is still a fact. All of those scientists (I'll wager that there are zero publishing biologists on that list) are welcome to publish science that contradicts evolutionary theory. Yet they aren't.

I guess they just don't feel like it, eh?

Ooh...a list!

Evolution is still a fact. All of those scientists (I'll wager that there are zero publishing biologists on that list) are welcome to publish science that contradicts evolutionary theory. Yet they aren't.

Evolution occurs
That is a fact proven by Biological, fossil, geological and DNA evidence

The how and why it occurs involve theories

God is at best a theory. A theory unsupported by any scientific evidence

Listen up, RWNJ

Signing a statement and publishing a list is NOT "scientific dissent". You should ask yourself why the authors of the list would have to use such misleading language.

"Scientific dissent" would be to publish articles criticizing the methods of previously published science, while showing exactly what is wrong with those methods. Scientific dissent could also be repeating the methods to show different results.

No, signing or writing a list is not "scientific dissent", any more than is some message board goofball pointing at evolution and screaming, "NUH-UH!!!!".

if you don't believe in evolution you must believe a fully formed man just appeared out of nowhere----that's believable :rolleyes-41:

Ooh...a list!

Evolution occurs

You are using theory wrong. A theory is supported by facts and observation. A deity is at best a hypothesis, as there are no proven facts concerning any aspects of a deity. And no observations that can be repeated for others to observe.

What do they think happened and how do they justify their belief scientifically?

They must use cognitive dissonance and just have faith that god is the unknown.

Or they believe Jesus was really the massiah. If they believe that I think that disqualifies them from rational scientific discussion

Ooh...a list!

Evolution occurs

You meant hypothesis. This is why I’m an agnostic atheist. Not so cocky to claim I know for certain but when god doesn’t even qualify as a theory I have to call into question the validity of such a claim.

Then add to that all the religions who have lied and said it visited? Yes I said lied. No question every religion is a lie. Except mine of course. I just so happened to have been lucky enough to have been born into the one real religion. Lol

LOL- your citation doesn't even mention evolution.

Nor are all of them 'scientists'.

A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism - Wikipedia
After more than a decade of effort the Discovery Institute proudly announced in 2007 that it had got some 700 doctoral-level scientists and engineers to sign "A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism." Though the number may strike some observers as rather large, it represented less than 0.023 percent of the world's scientists. On the scientific front of the much ballyhooed "Evolution Wars", the Darwinists were winning handily. The ideological struggle between (methodological) naturalism and supernaturalism continued largely in the fantasies of the faithful and the hyperbole of the press.[38]

In addition, the list was signed by only about 0.01% of scientists in the relevant fields. According to the National Science Foundation, there were approximately 955,300 biological scientists in the United States in 1999.[40] Only about 1/4 of the approximately 700 Darwin Dissenters in 2007 are biologists, according to Kenneth Chang of the New York Times.[10] Approximately 40% of the Darwin Dissenters are not identified as residing in the United States, so in 2007, there were about 105 US biologists among the Darwin Dissenters, representing about 0.01% of the total number of US biologists that existed in 1999. The theory of evolution is overwhelmingly accepted throughout the scientific community.[18] Professor Brian Alters of McGill University, an expert in the creation-evolution controversy, is quoted in an article published by the NIH as stating that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[41]

Ooh...a list!

Prove that evolution is entirely factual.

if you don't believe in evolution you must believe a fully formed man just appeared out of nowhere----that's believable :rolleyes-41:
With GOD all things are possible. If you do not believe in GOD, my guess is that you need to find something else to believe.

After more than a decade of effort the Discovery Institute proudly announced in 2007 that it had got some 700 doctoral-level scientists and engineers to sign "A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism." Though the number may strike some observers as rather large, it represented less than 0.023 percent of the world's scientists. On the scientific front of the much ballyhooed "Evolution Wars", the Darwinists were winning handily. The ideological struggle between (methodological) naturalism and supernaturalism continued largely in the fantasies of the faithful and the hyperbole of the press.[38]

In addition, the list was signed by only about 0.01% of scientists in the relevant fields. According to the National Science Foundation, there were approximately 955,300 biological scientists in the United States in 1999.[40] Only about 1/4 of the approximately 700 Darwin Dissenters in 2007 are biologists, according to Kenneth Chang of the New York Times.[10] Approximately 40% of the Darwin Dissenters are not identified as residing in the United States, so in 2007, there were about 105 US biologists among the Darwin Dissenters, representing about 0.01% of the total number of US biologists that existed in 1999. The theory of evolution is overwhelmingly accepted throughout the scientific community.[18] Professor Brian Alters of McGill University, an expert in the creation-evolution controversy, is quoted in an article published by the NIH as stating that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[41]
Acceptance is not proof of truth.

Ooh...a list!

Evolution occurs

You are using theory wrong. A theory is supported by facts and observation. A deity is at best a hypothesis, as there are no proven facts concerning any aspects of a deity. And no observations that can be repeated for others to observe.
I find men like Billy Graham were very polite, honest to a fault, and open to discussion. I find atheists tend to be very angry, nasty, narrow-minded, self-righteous and very much like Madeline Murray O'hair to their discredit. That in and of itself is proof that there is a big difference between those that seek after GOD and those that disregard Him. And the reality is that there are many individuals who drank, smoked, cursed, and were general hellraisers. Yet, once they became "Christians" their lives and behavior turned around. Can a leopard change its spots ---- it would seem that GOD can do it; however, if there is no GOD than such an event is impossible. So, why is the impossible ---- possible!

Ooh...a list!

No question evolution occurs
No evidence of god

Ooh...a list!

No question evolution occurs
No evidence of god
Prove it!

Acceptance is not proof of truth.

Exactly- which is why your acceptance of your sky fairy is not proof of truth.

Forum List

Back