A question about Truth and the mind

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
We all know that 0 < 1. That is true and it will always continue to be true. It just isn't possible to change that equation from true to false. What if someone convinced people that truth changes with time. Now the correct assessment of that expressions truthiness changes from true to false and back to true depending on what point in time it happens to be (the current date on the calender). Wouldn't our ability to ascertain the truth of anything be hindered since things that are true can be made to be seen as false and things that are false can be made to seem to be true and vice-versa as time moves forward. Something that is true now would be considered false in the future even though it did not change. So 1 < 0 is false NOW but could be true later and then switch back at any moment. Wouldn't we all be confused as to what is truth since it has no stability even in our own minds?

We have nothing to compare other questionable things to since it can change. How would we compare things such as knowing we have enough money in our checking account. We would think we are broke when we have something more than zero dollars and rich when we are broke and vice-versa when we think 1 > 0. How would be able to make correct choices if truth is temporary?

i-dunno-lol.jpg

We all know that 0 < 1. That is true and it will always continue to be true. It just isn't possible to change that equation from true to false. What if someone convinced people that truth changes with time. Now the correct assessment of that expressions truthiness changes from true to false and back to true depending on what point in time it happens to be (the current date on the calender). Wouldn't our ability to ascertain the truth of anything be hindered since things that are true can be made to be seen as false and things that are false can be made to seem to be true and vice-versa as time moves forward. Something that is true now would be considered false in the future even though it did not change. So 1 < 0 is false NOW but could be true later and then switch back at any moment. Wouldn't we all be confused as to what is truth since it has no stability even in our own minds?

We have nothing to compare other questionable things to since it can change. How would we compare things such as knowing we have enough money in our checking account. We would think we are broke when we have something more than zero dollars and rich when we are broke and vice-versa when we think 1 > 0. How would be able to make correct choices if truth is temporary?
Too general, be more specific and less Atlantic..

LSD I assume.

There are times when the context is part of what makes something true or false. In those situations and in times in which the situation helps determine whether something were true, the Truth can change.

Context and situations hangs greatly over time.

And while your mathematical example is accurate at the beginning, it is not a good example of truth being effected by context or situation.

• Banned
And while your mathematical example is accurate at the beginning, it is not a good example of truth being effected by context or situation.

If you mean context or situation as something closer to real life then that can't be true because in real life most everything can be quantified to a certain degree. Just think of how many surveys ask you to rate your experience by 1 - 10.

If you mean context or situation as something closer to real life then that can't be true because in real life most everything can be quantified to a certain degree. Just think of how many surveys ask you to rate your experience by 1 - 10.

What I meant was that the circumstances and situation effect what is true.

As an example, if I wake in the middle of the night to find an armed man in my house and I shoot him. Another person sees someone they dislike and they shoot him. Both of us could say "I am not a murderer". Both of us shot someone. But one is a murderer and one is not.

As an example, if I wake in the middle of the night to find an armed man in my house and I shoot him. Another person sees someone they dislike and they shoot him. Both of us could say "I am not a murderer". Both of us shot someone. But one is a murderer and one is not.
Their motivations are different.

because 0 != 1 it's possible to evaluate truth as long as there is an understanding that a non-zero denominator will compute. for example, IF ''x'' THEN ''something'', where ''x'' is a non-zero value. all that works because of the nature of semiconductors, transistors. little pieces of shit do nothing unless they've got an electrical charge, you see?

One of you is actually wrong... Why is that so hard to understand.

Not hard to understand at all. Simply an example of what is true being effected by the situation.

Not hard to understand at all. Simply an example of what is true being effected by the situation.

The truth is the situation.

Which can change.

Which can change.

I was thinking about what you are trying to say and in langauge we do have synonyms for words and by using different meanings we can alter the message. That I will agree with but we don't assign the proper meaning of those words without understanding the context in which they are used. The problem is is that these words only exist in one context and that context has only one meaning to begin with. From there we assume that because these words are used in that context then they can only have one particular meaning that fits that context. Their meanings are set in stone from the beginning since the message is predetermined from the beginning.

Are you attempting to compare the empirical of mathematics to human perspective based on cultural and psychological factors? You're kidding, right? :dunno:

What was true that is no longer true?

I don't know what you are trying to say but if it is no longer true then it probably was never true in the first place because what we once thought was true was probably not in the first. It just means we were wrong then but correct now.

Are you attempting to compare the empirical of mathematics to human perspective based on cultural and psychological factors? You're kidding, right? :dunno:

I'm not and it isn't different because true is true and false is false. False will never be true and if their was a 'cultural perspective' that said otherwise I would wonder if it was wrong in the first place.

Math is a matter of accuracy. Truth is a human concept and, as such, totally subjective.

Forum List

Back